It's... the 2014 Extra Special Brewers Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pokey said:
Is it too early to volunteer as a steward?
Pending a day pass from SWMBO
Probably a tad early, we will send a shout out nearer the date, as a reminder.

P1

so will I be marked down using Australian Cascade in an American style or is that permitted? ;)

as ive said, it's your game and Im happy to play by the rules, IMO though there is a fair difference between US - AU and NZ Cascade.. I understand and take on board your explanation and to a degree I think that folks should play more with our AU hops, some of them are a delight.. but to rule out an Aus IPA of Topaz Cascade and Summer is a bit of a crime.. Cascade in combination with other AU hops is delightful..

anyway, looking forward to the comp, factoring in a brewday for it.

:chug:

Hey DU99 - related, are you, to Yoda?

DU99 said:
better ask the expert that won't allow australian grown hop.
Not needed DU99. The rules of the comp have been decided by the comp organisers which should be enough. You've asked and been given the answer. Accept the rules and enter or don't.

Your posts are not normally aggressive. Please keep it that way. Respect the rules as oultined and move on from the topic.

I'm not suggesting it's not an interesting topic for discussion but start another thread - don't clutter up this one.

Cheers.

I'll be there guys so long as the wife doesn't spring something on me again. But definately will be entering

I'm in and hope to be there for the judging as well.

I found this list of Australian grown hops.

I understand that Cascade is banned. But are there others from this this I should not be using for the OzIPA ?

(Serious question, not yanking chains)

hops.JPG

he's going to say only those on the list are permitted..

Cant say I agree with the reasoning given, such that it is, especially since yeast is open slather but hay, I didnt organize it so I dont have to ;)

Pretty sure something fairly evil can be whipped up within the list of allowable hops.

Sorry missed that, should RTFM next time..

Cluster
Ella
Galaxy
Helga
Pride of Ringwood
Summer
Super Pride
Sylvia
Topaz
Vic Secret

Are "IN"

How quickly did that come round again :blink:

Just to refresh, it it NSW residents only or open Nationwide?

Highly recommend, excellent comp. Hope to get down this year as well, Sydney digs (mate) permitting.

Excellent stuff. I might have to try my hand at the Aussie IPA. I have a couple of the listed varieties on hand.

Also hoping to be available for stewarding pending family commitments.

Bribie G said:
How quickly did that come round again :blink:

Just to refresh, it it NSW residents only or open Nationwide?

Highly recommend, excellent comp. Hope to get down this year as well, Sydney digs (mate) permitting.
Nationwide as before, post/courier to The Brew Shop in good time before the closing date

Hope to see you at the judging

P1

What a coincidence, I just put down an English Brown Porter last week :) Will have to brew some more entries soon.

A quick question regarding the Aussie hops issue (again...):
I completely understand (and agree with) the restriction on the Aussie IPA hop varieties. Is there a reason that this does this does not also apply to the Aussie Pale and Brown ales as well?

MCHammo said:
What a coincidence, I just put down an English Brown Porter last week :) Will have to brew some more entries soon.

A quick question regarding the Aussie hops issue (again...):
I completely understand (and agree with) the restriction on the Aussie IPA hop varieties. Is there a reason that this does this does not also apply to the Aussie Pale and Brown ales as well?
We are following the published AABC 2013 Guidelines for the Aussie Pale, and the Aussie Brown is based on the same style guideline that we published last year.

We are a small home brew club and we look to do something different each year, this is our 7th comp. Last year along with a range of styles from the AABC list were - beers using Aussie Spices, Aussie Brown Ale, and Vintage Double Stout, this year Mead for the very first time, and the Aussie IPA. The only constant beer is ESB!

Cheers
P1

Aussie Pale Ale historically uses POR hops. The style guideline is based on Coopers Sparkling Ale.
The Aussie Brown Ale will need a Australian hop character overall regardless of the hops used. So using Australian developed hops would be the best way to gain the aroma and flavour needed.
As stated before the idea of the Aussie IPA in the comp was to encourage brewers to experiment with the hops that have been developed by Australian hop growers. Any final official definition/description of an Aussie IPA in home brewing would be in the hands of the AABC committee/delegates. This doesn't stop anyone brewing any beer with whatever hops, grains, or yeast they want to use. However the ESB needs some boundaries so that the entries can be judged in some meaningful manner.
So enjoy brewing something new or your old favourites and enter them into the Comp if you want.

Honestly, if you don't like the conditions of entry...don't enter, it really is that simple. Waffling on about it serves no purpose that I can see.

Back