Italian Spiral Burners Cheap, In Melb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn. Looks like he only has low or high pressure regs in his ebay store but like the price. Need a medium though.

Out of interest went to BOC gas & gear Sth Melb on my lunch break, they only had low pressure regs?! :eek: No range at all.
The guy referred me to a place called barbequesplus in Spotswood and said they are very knowledgeable and would have everything I'd need. Looks like it'll be out of Mitre 10, Barbeques galore or Barbequesplus to track one of these down at an OK price. Might have to phone around.

Oh well, the quest continues!

Hopper.
Hopper the regs are adjustable so you can adjust the output from no flame to ridiculous with good control throughout the range. I guess a medium pressure means that you would struggle to exceed the maximum ratio of fuel /air that the burner can safely burn. Whereas if you cranked the HP reg enough you will get an unstable flame prone to blowing out which could be hazardous. (I've never had a need to run mine anywhere near that with a 50l pot and 45l boils.)
Gryphon Brewing has these Medium Pressure regs for a pretty reasonable price.
Cheers
Doug

Thanks for the heads up on the special P & L. Just got myself one from CellarPlus today!

Question:

I've got a non-adjustable regulator thats rated at 2 kg/h LPG, 2.8 KPa. Is it suitable and safe to use on the Italian Spiral Burner.

Are different regulators (Low, Med, High pressure) specific for different burners or can they all be used on the Italian Spiral Burner, with the Low producing low head, Med producing more heat, and the High producing the most heat? Im wanting to do upto 40L boils.

Cheers.

Question:

I've got a non-adjustable regulator thats rated at 2 kg/h LPG, 2.8 KPa. Is it suitable and safe to use on the Italian Spiral Burner.

Cheers.

In respect to the above question, I think you will find it quite safe its just that you won't have much grunt in regards to gas flow / pressure. Bit like a 4cyl Datsun motor thrown into a Ferari. If you get my drift.

BYB

In respect to the above question, I think you will find it quite safe its just that you won't have much grunt in regards to gas flow / pressure. Bit like a 4cyl Datsun motor thrown into a Ferari. If you get my drift.

BYB

Thanks BYB,

Would 2 kg/h LPG, 2.8 KPa be considered Low, Med, or High Pressure?

Im assuming Low.

Cheers.

no affiliation etc etc
$59 on special. Cheap as I've seen them. No regulators in stock at the moment.

Cellar Plus in Peel St
http://www.cellarplus.com.au

I'ts getting exciting in my garage. 2 x 50L kegs converted & now 1 x burner. A new manifold for the esky and I've almost got a my AG upgrade together.
Upgrading from very (very) crappy collection of 20L pots, shit temp gauge & braid manifold. Would still recomend crap & cheap AG to kit any day. Beer was awesome.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up! We are currently building our new grav system and we are on the hunt for burners, so this is very timely!

Cheers

I stopped in at Lee's Warehouse in Cheltenham today, and would you believe they have spiral burners for only $18.40 ... yes, that is correct.

They are made in China, and have a different stand setup. But the burner itself looked the same as the italian one I just purchased.

http://www.leeswarehouse.com/productShow.asp?id=636

For this price you couldn't really go wrong. They do sell another different burner with a better stand that looks like it would also fit the spiral burner and you'd still come out about $20 in front!

They also have some large aluminium stock pots but I can't remember the prices.

EDIT: Their prices on 3 and 4 ring burners are pretty decent too.

They are made in China, and have a different stand setup. But the burner itself looked the same as the italian one I just purchased.

Looks exactly like my Primus big single ring burner, including the stands.

primus_big_single_ring.jpg

I stopped in at Lee's Warehouse in Cheltenham today, and would you believe they have spiral burners for only $18.40 ... yes, that is correct.

For this price you couldn't really go wrong. They do sell another different burner with a better stand that looks like it would also fit the spiral burner and you'd still come out about $20 in front!

They also have some large aluminium stock pots but I can't remember the prices.

EDIT: Their prices on 3 and 4 ring burners are pretty decent too.

Damn thats cheap. These are great. Plenty of grunt with a mid pressure regulator. I have boiled 80L no problems.

Looks exactly like my Primus big single ring burner, including the stands.

primus_big_single_ring.jpg

Yep, that's the one right there. I noticed that some places do refer to these as ring burners, or single rings burners. Even though the holes are actually in a spiral layout.

$5 postage is looking pretty sweet too. Doesn't say anything about it being only to Vic, so how the heck can they do that on large or heavy items interstate?

EDIT: ah, it's a $5 handling fee. Then regular postage charges apply on top of that.

FWIW I run mine with a HP reg as a std BBQ reg just doesn't cut the mustard.

Infinite adjustability due to needle valve as well as gal shield which slides up and down over air intake.

so im in the market for one, would these ones cut it just as fine? if so im there tomorrow..

Any of these burners be it NASA, turkey or spiral,if you fit a high pressure burner you should have a flashback arrestor after the regulator.
If you do get a flashback without one there nothing to stop it running all the way into the bottle,that's not something you want.

Batz

soooo was that a yeah but fit a thingy or a no dont touch it it sucks?

Any of these burners be it NASA, turkey or spiral,if you fit a high pressure burner you should have a flashback arrestor after the regulator.
If you do get a flashback without one there nothing to stop it running all the way into the bottle,that's not something you want.

Batz

Do you have a pic of one and/or any idea where to find them?

thanks.

FLASH BACK AND FLAME ARRESTORS

A flash back arrestor is a safety device that shuts off gas flow in event of flash back. Flashback is the combustion of a flame mixture that can occur within your gas management system. This can travel back through the line of your gas management system to you gas source if a flash back arrestors is not in line. A flash back arrestor shuts off gas flow and extinguishes the flame before it can reach your gas source. Several factors can cause flash back, including failing to purge line properly, using improper pressure, leaks in your gas management system and improper system operation. We recommend using a flash back arrestor on your fuel line as well as the oxygen line.
Classification of Flash Back Arrestors

Broadly the Interruption Methods can classify the Flashback Arrestors into two types:

Many methods to stop flashbacks have been devised. "Active" methods require maintenance of certain parameters, such as liquid level or gas velocity. "Passive" methods require only routine inspection and typically have no moving parts or instrument requirements.

Venture type flashback Arrestors (active)

Venture flashback arrestors simply create a restriction in the hydrocarbon/air mixture delivery pipe so that the gas velocity is faster than the flame speed, preventing progression of a flashback upstream. Flashbacks in the direction of flow can still happen. Even a partly closed valve can create a high velocity for flashback prevention, but a venture shape creates much lower pressure drop. If gas flow stops, the venture is no longer effective, so methods to measure flow and add makeup gas (nitrogen, for instance) are often included.

Online flame arrestors (passive) (most commonly used)

Mechanical flame arrestors are filled with metal or ceramic, which absorbs heat from a flashback, quenching it to a temperature below what is needed for ignition. This stops the flame. With a low enough hydrocarbon/air mixture flow rate, if a flame travels to the face of the arrestor, it can become stable at that point. Heating of the arrestor body and internals results. Once the arrestor temperatures increase enough, ignition temperature can be reached on the upstream side of the arrestor and the flashback can proceed. For this reason, a temperature switch is often installed on the flame side of each arrestor (adding an "active" element).

Causes of a Flash Back

Hot refractory

If the refractory lining a burner or furnace is hot enough to bring the hydrocarbon/air mixture to the auto ignition temperature, rapid combustion will start. Heat transfer from the hot surface depends on gas velocity and turbulence, explaining why "swirl, type burners often seems more stable than more linear types.

Flame

Flames from pilot burners are the typical means of initiating combustion of a hydrocarbon/air mixture. Nozzle mix burners (where the fuel mixes with the combustion air within the furnace) have zones that are too lean or too rich for combustion, so the pilot flame must be positioned to heat a volume of well mixed gas. Large pilot flames can overcome poor positioning of the pilot tip.

Sparks

Sparks are used to ignite pilot burners and also main burners in some cases. Occasionally small sparks (static electricity) are capable of initiating combustion, but the extra energy in a large spark helps insure light off. Undesired sparks, such as those resulting from debris moving through steel ducting or fans, can initiate combustion and require careful design to avoid.

Dust -

Dust or very fine debris are generated while welding or cutting and this dust when in contact with the nozzle causes a blockage resulting a loud sound puut and the flame due to the pressurization results in the flame to fold back into the nozzle.

Why should one use Flashback Arrestors?

The reason for using a protective device such as a Flash Back Arrestor on a fuel gas line or even on a cylinder are

1) Safety of property and human lives

2) The flashback occurs under various conditions.

3) The flashback occurs inside the pipeline or vessels.

4) The flame moves through a vessel or pipe.

5) The flame velocity increases as it moves through these pipe or vessels, and if the pipe is long enough the velocity can increase to detonation levels, which are supersonic

Where should a Flashback Arrestor be placed?

The flashback arrestor should be placed at the closest point to the flame, if due to un-avoidable circumstances the Arrestor can not be places close to the cutting nozzle or the flame then it should be placed of the main pipe line, and also on the fuel gas bank, vessel, cylinder.

How does a flashback Arrestor works?

Flashback arrestor is a simple devise, which quenches the flame using the following methods

a) By reducing the velocity of the flame, reducing the flame velocity even lower than the minimum flame velocity of the fuel gas

B) Stops the flame propagation into or through a pipe. By placing a flame arrestor at the end of the flammable mixture pipe feeding a flare or burner, flame can be prevented from moving into the pipe regardless of the mixture velocity.

c) By passing a potentially flammable mixture through a water chamber or some sort of heat sink. This dissipates the heat and quenches the flashback.

d) By blocking the fuel gas path, with a suitable thermal fuse plug, casing the flashback to die out.

e) By blocking the flow of fuel gas in the opposite direction by acting like a non return valve.

Like this

http://tinyurl.com/3zl2ys

No affiliation blar blar
Find them in Bunnies even

Batz

Thanks for that info! So these look to be different devices to the 'Gas Fuses' that are used with BBQs etc.

My gas fuse doesn't work with the HP reg, too much flow so it shuts down straight away. Take out the gas fuse and it's all good.

my Bunnings is crap with no service

Same for every one I've been to on the Gold Coast. Also, the staff rarely have any knowledge related to their section. I had a woman at the Ashmore one here insisting they don't stock any variety of plastic bucket. I've also had staff in electrical giving bad/dangerous advice... it goes on and on. Totally incompetent/un-trained workers. Bunnings is just a cheap rip-off of The Home Depot (North America), and it shows.
home_depot_steve.jpg

Back