Italian Spiral Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatchy ive seen concrete blow when it gets to hot and its not pretty, be carefull mate.

Concrete will explode if it gets enough heat. Ive seen a 200 litre drum get blown off its stand and hot liquid everywhere because the concrete got too hot. As Fents said, be carefull and insulate under burners.

With the med. pressure adjutable regs (the red one), where's the shutoff point with the tap? I didn't expect it to screw right out if you keep turning it anticlockwise. What happens if this happens when it's in use?
Boagsy,
Once you got the MPR set - don't muck with it. Use the small dial on the end of the burner for fine adjustments only and the gas bottle tap to turn it off.
As warmbeer mentioned , it's ready for next time, no major adjustments needed.

I wouldn't think much would happen if the little dial came off completely, but wouldn't try it.

While your testing it/setting it up, have a hand on the gas bottle tap in case you need to turn it off in a hurry.

On another topic, if you try to light one of these things and the wasps have filled the jets with mud (and you don't notice) a jet of flame shoots out from both sides of the air intake sleeve and a really load sound like a plane taking off will scare the shit out of you. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with it all, again - Top product.

PB

Hatchy ive seen concrete blow when it gets to hot and its not pretty, be carefull mate.

Sounds like I've been pretty lucky. I've used it for about a dozen batches with no problems. What should I use underneath it? Bricks?

I just got mine today so will be putting it together on the weekend

Sounds like they are very popular then might have to get a couple and mount them in the new brew bench I'm about to build

Sounds like they are very popular then might have to get a couple and mount them in the new brew bench I'm about to build

Might be a little OT, but does anyone have pics of italian spirals mounted in a brew rig? Am going to be starting my build after xmas and haven't seen a whole lot of pics around (can't imaging it'd be too hard though)

Might be a little OT, but does anyone have pics of italian spirals mounted in a brew rig? Am going to be starting my build after xmas and haven't seen a whole lot of pics around (can't imaging it'd be too hard though)

I remember reading on here somewhere that the Mongolian burners are easier to do custom mounts with than the ISB. I think it was domonsura that posted it, Mr Beerbelly himself, he would know.
Certainly wouldn't be impossible though. There are two flat sections on the side of the ring, I wonder if it's possible to put a thread into them in the same way that's been done where it connects to the frame that comes with it.

The italian sprial rocks! Ive got a vid of it shooting flames out the bottom on the link below. looks crazy!

Phil has his on a stand.

Legham, do you have yours on anything or straight on concrete? I'm a bit vague on details from when we were at yr place brewing.

Phil has his on a stand.

Legham, do you have yours on anything or straight on concrete? I'm a bit vague on details from when we were at yr place brewing.

I don't have anything under the burner but I hardly ever crank it. Ive heard that the concrete can explode.

Hatchy, I built a frame out of 50mm RHS to the right height so I can syphon out of the ball valve stright into a cube or jerry can type cube. Works a treat.

Might get some lockable heavy duty castors for it in the near future so its easier to move around... Keeping in mind, my mash tun is also my kettle (BIAB) so its all one neat little package...

Hatchy, I built a frame out of 50mm RHS to the right height so I can syphon out of the ball valve stright into a cube or jerry can type cube. Works a treat.

Might get some lockable heavy duty castors for it in the near future so its easier to move around... Keeping in mind, my mash tun is also my kettle (BIAB) so its all one neat little package...
Any chance of getting photos or a sketch posted for this?

I want to raise my burner and kettle up off the floor so I can drain directly into my NC cube, too.

Photos would be great. Been thinking about doing this myself.

The italian sprial rocks! Ive got a vid of it shooting flames out the bottom on the link below. looks crazy!

That video in your sig looks dangerous, see those flames coming out the bottom licking the concrete floor? Thats exactly what not to do, put it on some bricks to raise it up and put something under the burner.

edit - nice setup by the way :kooi:

I don't have anything under the burner but I hardly ever crank it. Ive heard that the concrete can explode.

basically only if the concrete is wet underneath the burner.

basically only if the concrete is wet underneath the burner.
Not true, and a dangerous assumption to assert.

Your concrete slab could be fully dry and cured, but say there is a small air (or possibly water) bubble trapped in the concrete. Under extreme heat, the air trapped will expand.

My guess is that this is what caused Barl's/Crozdog infamous exploding floor incident. A kiln dried paving stone, or even a metal deflector plate should provide enough insulation that the heat never gets intense enough to provide enough pressure, plus is provides certain protection in the case it does. Play it smart, always use protection ;)

That video in your sig looks dangerous, see those flames coming out the bottom licking the concrete floor? Thats exactly what not to do, put it on some bricks to raise it up and put something under the burner.

edit - nice setup by the way :kooi:

yeah that was the first time I used it, just cranked it for the vid. Ive had the burner for about 1.5 years now and never had a problem. Though I probably will take your advice and raise the whole burner off the ground.

cheers.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait a couple of weeks as my wife beat me to the pay packet and got herself something for Christmas, So I'll have to wait til next year before I get them but thats cool, bench isn't built and it's drinking season rather then brewing. Thanks for the great feedback though never realised how good they were.

Latest posts

Back