Italian Spiral Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumi2

Reaction score
Hi all

I received the next addition to my AG setup last night... a nice Italian spiral burner with an adjustable medium pressure regulator to replace my 3 ring burner on a normal regulator.

The difference in output is considerable. I think i will improve boil time and heat stability 10 fold.

I put the thing together last night, quite a simple process but so simple i started to think i had not done it correctly. So what the heck i looked at the instructions!!. Translated from Italian they didn't help much at all really. So i decided to just light the thing.

Gee it burns well. A powerful blue flame 10 times the size of the 3 ring burner and much more stable. the base that comes with it fits my pot perfectly and the pot sits very stable compared to precariously perched on the 3 ring.

it makes some noise when turned up high but i dont think i will need to use it above 50% of tis output. high output seemed a little scary actually.

To anyone out there with one of these i have some questions?

- What is the best way to adjust the flame and gas flow? Do you tend to turn the regulator adjuster up high and then control flame size using the adjuster on the actual burner or vice versa.
- Is it high enough off the ground not to burn the floor? It is higher than the 3 ring which i sat on a large tile but unfortunately my tile is not large enough for the Italian spiral.
- Do you have to clean the tap and control unit that connect onto the actuall burner?

Any useful hints would be appreciated before i just flame the thing on full power..

Comapred to the 3 ring burner this is significantly better and worth the money. it will rip into my 50 litre yearly tomato sauce batch.

- What is the best way to adjust the flame and gas flow? Do you tend to turn the regulator adjuster up high and then control flame size using the adjuster on the actual burner or vice versa.

Use the regulator to control flame size.

Is it high enough off the ground not to burn the floor? It is higher than the 3 ring which i sat on a large tile but unfortunately my tile is not large enough for the Italian spiral.

Nope, you're gonna find that it kicks a massive amount of heat straight down. I sit the four corners of the stand on four bbq bricks, and then have some aluminium sheet acting as a heat shield sitting on top of the bricks.

I use both. When I want to get to the boil the regulator is turned up to 11 and the flame control is turned to open. Once it gets to the boil I turn the reg down to 1 and the close the flame control to a gentle flame (i'm lucky because my brew area is enclosed so never have any wind issues). The gentle flame for me is basically half blue half yellow flame...this works for me and gives me a consistent boil, but best to play around with it a bit to find out what works best for your set up. BTW I use a converted keg as a kettle.

Cheers
Phil

I have to agree with Sammy on both counts. Elivate the burner on some Bessa bricks and as for flame adjustment, the medium reg is excelent.

My 2c,
Andy.

I use both. When I want to get to the boil the regulator is turned up to 11 and the flame control is turned to open. Once it gets to the boil I turn the reg down to 1 and the close the flame control to a gentle flame (i'm lucky because my brew area is enclosed so never have any wind issues). The gentle flame for me is basically half blue half yellow flame...this works for me and gives me a consistent boil, but best to play around with it a bit to find out what works best for your set up. BTW I use a converted keg as a kettle.

Cheers
Phil

throws loads of heat downwards onto the floor. i had one piece of cement sheeting under my burner and it still scorched the treated pine decking underneath it. i use bricks and two sheets of cement sheeting now. mind you my pot's a 120Litre pot so it dosnt really leave anywhere for the heat to go but downward cause the pots so big.

Latest posts

Back