It Does Not Pay To Be Cheap!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there you go Mr 180 degree spin around. No, No Chappo I won\'t need two shelves on my brewing rig! Are you mad Chappo? This BIAB not 3V brewing! <_< :p :lol:

No don\'t worry Chappo, basically I would just be sitting it on the bench and using it like a glorified electric kettle. Currently I have 2 electric jugs on the go for my sparge in a bucket water etc, so this would tidy things up a bit. Not going 2 3 or 4 vessel

Cheers

Edit: this guy\'s on to us, note the latest comments on the Ebay page:

beer mini mash brewer- add malt , grain ,hops perfect for mash brewing

There you go Chappo, how easy is that :icon_cheers:

Not rusting like an old car, but there is a bit of color on the internal hot plate that was not here before. It looks like tiny specks of surface rust..
Who would make a hot water urn from materials that rust...?????????????????????????

Are you sure it's rust? it could be a build-up of calcium or like stuff from your water supply. will probably clean up good as new with a little CLR or vinegar. If you have hard water I'd be guessing this was the cause. Might explain why Beer&Kebab hasn't had the same result if using the urn with softer water.

+1 for all the comments about trimming the plastic edging on the cube - I've had to do the same thing for mine, and for my fermenters and airlocks. It's amazing how the smallest ridge from the join stops the airlock from sealing up. (Home Brew Stores should tell you to do that IMH))

good luck on brew day!

Are you sure it's rust? it could be a build-up of calcium or like stuff from your water supply. will probably clean up good as new with a little CLR or vinegar. If you have hard water I'd be guessing this was the cause. Might explain why Beer&Kebab hasn't had the same result if using the urn with softer water.

good luck on brew day!

I thought the whole urn looked a bit flimsy, so decided not to leave it overnight with water in it. Emptied it out, dried the inside roughly with kitchen paper, then took a new piece of kitchen paper and "scrubbed" the heater plate. It is a round plate like an electric stove top, only not black. The paper comes off with small reddish marks on it, like I have wiped off some surface rust.
You're probably right, it will be ok. Just felt cheated, I guess. And having to swallow the realisation that my cheapness had come back to bite me ;)

Thanks
Bjorn

As others have said, elements will discolour, shed their coatings or get scale on them and generally look crap after a few uses. Don't worry about it and never scrub your kettle, pot or whatever with anything coarser than a green scotchbrite pad (and even these will finely scratch ally and S/S)

cheers

Browndog

I thought the whole urn looked a bit flimsy, so decided not to leave it overnight with water in it. Emptied it out, dried the inside roughly with kitchen paper, then took a new piece of kitchen paper and "scrubbed" the heater plate. It is a round plate like an electric stove top, only not black. The paper comes off with small reddish marks on it, like I have wiped off some surface rust.
You're probably right, it will be ok. Just felt cheated, I guess. And having to swallow the realisation that my cheapness had come back to bite me ;)

Thanks
Bjorn

Dont worry about cheap Bjorn .... as many have stated its the way we all start.

My kettle is my wifes 20L stock pot
My mash tun is my esky - yes i only have 1 esky
My lauter tun is a fermenter lined with a brew bag
And on brew day its all stepped out using bench, milk crate & my kids play chair

Cant wait to taste the results of your brew at the next Norther Beaches Brew meeting.

Cheers,
Pete

So you won the competition AND has less advanced gear than my urn, PB?

Another blow to my self-esteem, hehe.
Guess I will have to buy some JS Golden Ale or something to re-bottle in my homebrew bottles to not loose again in January!

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back