Isb First Meet Of 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
Hi Guys , thought id be the one to start the ball rolling on this one with only a few hours left for 2006 ,
when are we gonna have our first get together for 2007 , wheres it gonna be and what are we gonna do ?

stuart suggested a brew day again some time soon but rather than have the 'experienced' guys do the mashing, boiling etc etc , let the guys who havent done AG before or are new to it do the process under the watchful eyes of those that know .. im all for that idea , whether or not its a good thing for the first meet of the year i dunno , i also know that you dont wanna be relying on me to come up with a recipe as i have no idea !!! but i would like to say it would be good to do a dark ale or porter or perhaps even a stout ...

id love to hold something at my place but sadly i just dont have the room so someone will need to come up with a venue if we go with a brew day , or perhaps we are due for a meet and greet somewhere simple again (pub/restaurant) at least with some sort of eatery we can get a BYO situation and bring along some brews..

oh well thats the ball rolling , now let the ideas flow and see where it takes us ...

wishing everyone a safe and happy new years eve tonight and for the rest of the coming year ...

i have sampled the Hopburst from our first brew day at gavins earlier today and it has turned out quite nice not nearly as bitter as i expected ... quite tasty and refreshing

Barra,

AFAIK mike has offered his place up for the next meeting. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of space at my place. :( I think mike's still on holiday this week. I'm not sure if there's room at his place for a brew day or if it will be just a meet and taste session. :chug: I guess we'd best wait until he can confirm it.

Surprisingly, I think getting the wanna-be-AG brewers to do the work while others sit and admire your work is a great idea. :lol: I'm sure if it's ok with mike then a recipe can be knocked up fairly quickly. Darker beers for a change is good too. How about a porter? We could even do the winning mash paddle recipe from last year. :super:

Surprisingly, I think getting the wanna-be-AG brewers to do the work while others sit and admire your work is a great idea. :lol:

Suits me too ;)

Something darkish might be nice, not sure if it's the correct weather for dark beers at the moment but i'm sure something can be knocked up that's quite versatile like the previous day's work - like a porter that could also be a vienna/oktoberfest with different yeast choice or something, or even a Czech Dark Lager/Schwarzbier. I have some Peated malt that might be good in the porter, lots of Carafa, Choc, Choc Wheat and Farbmalz.

Space is at a premium at Mike's place so it might just be a single batcher of maybe 3 or 4 cubes - so it is more like a tasting session. I have the Maris Otter APA that may or may not be ready to drink depending on carbonation time, a Roggenbier (weird beer that one) and the Brewday IIPA that i diluted 100% to make a 1042 Golden Ale out of (using S-33 on that one too which was actually not half bad).\

How did the Goldens and IIPA's that everyone did turn out, or should i ask again at the meet when the beers are ready to taste?

Surprisingly, I think getting the wanna-be-AG brewers to do the work while others sit and admire your work is a great idea.

well it was your idea stuart so im kinda not surprised you liked it ....

im fermenting my golden ale at the moment so probably wont be ready for a taste test , but it may depending on how late in January we have the meet, the hopburst from the previous brew day is bottled and ready to rock though ...

with all us guys living in tiny houses/ apartments i think we need to find a hall or something to use at the right price that way we can go crazy with quantities if we wish , although the right price is sometimes hard to find ...

catchya all somewhere soon ...

Yep, I still agree with myself. :p

My IIPA was bottled a couple of weeks ago. I did take a sneak taste during the Xmas indulgence period and it tasted pretty good, although late night tastings can sometimes be a bit misleading if you know what I mean. :party:

Wanting to get rid of some of that peated malt, Ben? :lol: Like your idea of a versatile dark something, but I think Ned is right that it might be only a single/double batch day.

I think a meeting place of some sorts is a good idea, Ned. The price is the difficulty of course. Let's see what we can come up with. :unsure:

im up for anything not much of a dark beer drinker but we will see let me know as i go back to work on monday

Might be able to find space at my sailing club at Rushcutters Bay. They have a very basic kitchen area, but plenty of room to do this. The only issue is parking.

I'm for a porter, vienna lager or altbier. Maybe with the peated malt we could produce a type of rauchbier?

Hi guys,

happy new year, I hope yours was good.

I like the idea of a porter, been wanting to make one for a while. Stu, where can I find the mashpadle recipe you mention?

Ben, you better come over to my place quick, I'm on the 2nd half of the goldie!! I'd better drink some more xmas case entries (or the belgians my wife gave me) so that I can save some for you.

I'm happy to volunteer my place again, but will go with the flow.

If the AG newbies have a go, does that mean I get to drink more? :super:

Crozdog

I like the idea of a porter, been wanting to make one for a while. Stu, where can I find the mashpadle recipe you mention?

Ben, you better come over to my place quick, I'm on the 2nd half of the goldie!! I'd better drink some more xmas case entries (or the belgians my wife gave me) so that I can save some for you.

I'm happy to volunteer my place again, but will go with the flow.

Croz, the recipe for Ash's porter is here.

Any chance of a taste of that golden ale too? Are you not into those Belgians already? :lol:

Sounds like we've got some places lined up, EB and Crozdog. Great.

If the AG newbies have a go, does that mean I get to drink more?

That's the whole idea! :super:

I don't really care about getting a cube of wort this time, i might not be able to make it depending on my commitments to the wife & our new baby that should be born any day now, but i'll give my 2c as to what we should try to do...

Perhaps something strange might work if we go experimental into something like a "peat smoked robust porter", (i had some strange idea that a Peat smoked Belgian tripel might be nice) or we could just stuff it and do something simple, i know we have done a couple of APA's but they are a crowd pleaser and easy to boot. Perhaps an American Amber ale might be a good shot and could still be a simple single infusion recipe. Something like a SNPA clone but with 30% Munich replacing the pale malt and a little less flavour hops.

I think leave the lager styles for Winter when everyone is going to have a chance to actually ferment them properly with the appropriate yeast, as for making "pseudo-lagers", sure you get good results from some yeasts etc, but i think we're better off sticking to ales or "hybrid" beers at the moment.

That said i'll leave it up to the group as for the recipe choice, come up with some idea about the intended style and let's work from there.

a little of topic , but good luck with the birth of number one child Ben, hope everything runs smoothly ...

prepare for your life to change mate !!
(its all good but geez it takes up time and $$$)

Yep, hope it all goes well with the birth, Ben (and especially Amy). :super:

I'm also not fussed on getting a cube this time. I agree that a lager/alt would be better in the cooler months. Smoked porter sounds good. Amber sounds good. Maybe we should work out where we can hold it first before getting too organised. :unsure:

Well - to get the ball rolling, at least for dates I am proposing Sat 13th, 20th Jan, or 10 Feb.

Ben - I hope all goes well and will give you a leave pass this time. OK?

I am proposing Sat 13th, 20th Jan, or 10 Feb.

EB, glad to see you left the long weekend free, as i can't make it that weekend!

I like to do an Amber too, considering all of the MSB ones I've drunk.

Philip

i wouldnt mind doing an amber give me a date and ill try to make it with work being a pita

this sat is looking like drinks with Jayse at The Australian , so perhaps 1st brewday of the year a couple of weeks later ?

I wouldnt mind an amber ale, but am not fussed if i dont get a cube. who are the ag padawans and what equipment have they got ? :)

I'd say the smoked porter would be good.

Should be able to do any w/end except for the long w/e

if padawan means newcomer or one with lack of experience put me on that list ...

porter or dark ale sounds good but as stuart said lets get a venue before we get too far ahead of
ourselves

Redbeard what time are drinks with Jayse ??, would be good to meet someone from out of town and talk 5h1t with them i think the outlaws are visiting this weekend but ill see what i can manage...

Back