Is This What An Infection Looks Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Reaction score
infectedbeer.jpg

white floaties, very soft, would disintegrate between my fingers. tasted pretty bad

the floaties taste bad or the beer taste bad?? putting your fingers in it will increase the risk of infection. Also that looks totally normal to me floaties prob crusty stuff from the yeast.

Looks a bit oily on top as well, or is that just the flash messing with me? Agreed the flaoties don't look suspect, the taste how ever.......

Edit for the 3rd time :rolleyes: , Can you be a bit more in depth of the "pretty bad" taste

I bottled most of the beer, then thought I aint washin anymore bottles, so opened the lid to tip it out and saw the white floaties. Thats when I stuck my fingers in. The beer from the tap tasted bad, but then some that I didn't like from the fermenter turned out ok.

The main thing that made me think it was infected was the floaties.

It is tooheys draught, tooheys lager, kit yeast.

Looks a bit oily on top as well, or is that just the flash messing with me? Agreed the flaoties don't look suspect, the taste how ever.......

Edit for the 3rd time :rolleyes: , Can you be a bit more in depth of the "pretty bad" taste

Wasn't oily

Nah sorry I'm no good at describing tastes

As above please expand on the taste.

Plastic, phenolics, bandaids? etc?

Ok it's tastes bad out of the fermenter, what sort of bad? Bitter, sweet, sour, vegetive, battery acid, cat piss or just flat, green beer?

bitter and sour are the two I would pick from that list

Sour doesn't sound good. Have a look through here, might be of some help for you to describe it better?

My guess is its infected, the ultra thin clear film on top (Like wispy sheer lace curtains? :blink: ) suggests an "acersomethingoruther" infection. Point is, if it tastes bad, even if its not infected you wont want to drink it anyway so let it ferment out and observe , & make mental notes if not written ones.
Just make sure you nuke all equipment afterwards.
Good luck
Daz

Edit : JFYI, some say some infections can look like spider web.

The hint of oiliness on top is normal for hoppy beers I make - floaties might just be yeast that hasn't flocculated.

If it tastes quite sour (vinegar/lemon-sour) or smells a bit like nail polish remover (acetone) then there is a chance it is infected but it is often hard to tell if "bad tasting" out of the fermenter is a sign of a bad kit beer (had plenty of very drinkable kit beers that didn't taste too great before bottling)

Sounds awfully like the infection I caught in my last brew acetobacter the one that needs oxygen to convert your beer to malt vinegar. I caught mine just starting 2 days after racking to secondary and got it in the bottle quickly and luck was with me the beer is just fine. Don't really fancy getting 23litres of vinegar.

Mine had the white flecks and the oily surface with little threads like spider webs.

No KIT beer tastes good out of the fermenter. Quite regularly have a pint straight from the fermenter when kegging/bottling my AG's ;)

Am just wondering if i have my first infection...brew is in 10th day of fermentation at 19deg...upon checking last night all krausen has gone but there is a small patch of "stuff" still on the surface...brew had hop pellets in a stocking in it like all previous brews. poured of a sample and smells ok and tasted fine..smelt brew and has very strong POR hop smell, tried to take picture but couldn't get a decent clear one...am thinking it may be hop residue that has leaked out of stocking..is a similar greeny brown colour to the hop bag...this is what i am hoping it is...one question i have as ive never had an infection(touch wood)..is how quickly do they normally take hold... as i was planning on bottling this weekend..the patch of "stuff" doesnt seemed to have got any bigger...if it is an infection will it have taken over by sunday so that i know for sure it is one by tasting the brew before bottling..
cheers
matt

a small patch of "stuff" still on the surface
matt

hopefully just some yeast residue, it's not unusual to still have some surface floaties, if you can cold condition for 4 days or so all the better, regardless the floaties will most likely stick to the sides during botteling.. yada yada.. something about surface tension on the top of the beer.. cant remember..

what was your FG? just because the krausen has died down its not a final indication fermentation has stopped... ive had some ales go over 2 weeks.. not saying yours hasnt finished.. but I assume you have checked :)

does it look anything like the OP or other beer infection images?

if it smells and tastes ok to you then go for it..

Looks nothing like the pics...thank goodness...havent checked my fg yet but will do tomorrow sat and sun...will taste at same time to check if it still taste ok

It feels like infection Thursday! I racked my brew today which had been in the primary for 11 days, it had these white foam looking bubbles appearing on the top of the brew next to the old brown krausen. It happened two days ago after I took a reading and moved my fermenter. I peered into the secondary and it's clear on top so that's good, I might just wait until after the weekend and see if it is appearing in the secondary.

Moving the fermenter sounds like a good reason for a few bubbles to start gdah. Take a small sample and smell/taste it to make sure it's okay, I'm sure it is.

Latest posts

Back