Is This The Worst Thing To Happen On A Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I have been brewing for many years but recently moved to BIAB. So far I have done 5 and the brew days all went reasonably well... Until today.

I use a kettle element in a converted keg and after mash out i started the boil until the element thermostat crapped out and would not go any hotter than 65 degrees. Shit. No immersion heater, no burner, no other way to heat it except replace the element mid boil.

Well I managed to do it but I wont know if I did any damage to the brew until later.

So has anyone else had some epic dramas on brew day

wow is that all? lol

4 stitches from slipping with a flat blade doing up a pipe clamp (beer was in the pot for 4 hours before any cooling), blocked counterflow chiller (today, now back to the immersion), many stuck sparges (today), popped hoses/ sucked flat hoses, popped valves (DO NOT use any pvc if heat is involved), hmm i think thats all

Good grief we all have had issues at one stage or another. Some of the the most seemingly insignificant things turn into major dramas, other major dramas turn into good beer.

A bit like the old "don't stress, have a homebrew" if it's a failure then your only a few weeks from redemption.

Pfffft! Want disaster stories just ask Sully.... :ph34r:

Biggest one was the hose to the reg burst throwing a 5m flame around my garage where I also have all my different fuels and explosive stuff stored. Filled my undies in no time.

Chap Chap

Biggest one was the hose to the reg burst throwing a 5m flame around my garage where I also have all my different fuels and explosive stuff stored. Filled my undies in no time.

:D :D :D

Now, that's more like it Chappo. None of this sissy stuff like blowing an element :p

Stubbie

Pfffft! Want disaster stories just ask Sully.... :ph34r:

Chap Chap

been there but not brewing beer, try that with a still running pumping out 65%ABV shine lol (although it was low pressure NAT gas, and it was cause i had an overflow that caught and burnt threw the hose), but i didnt have any other fuel laying around :)

Wow I guess I was just having a bad day and assumed that was the worst thing that could happen to me. I guess my disaster doesn't even rate lol

Latest posts

Back