Is this line on far enough?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I am trying to jam it in but it just isn't going any further... I have a metal tightener too, but is this ok?

unnamed.jpg

I've soaked the parts in boiling water for about 5-10 seconds, good with the disconnect on as it heats the barb as well. Don't dip too much tube in as it's too hot to hold and may buckle. Grab the disconnect with a tea towel. Shove.

But I clamp it as well, other people's experience may differ

that might be ok but Id remove it and grab a pair of needle nose pliers.

dip into boiling water for 10 seconds and then jam the needle nose pliers into the end, expand them.

do that a couple of times to then slide it onto the barb.

its a hassle but once they are set they are not leaking.

good4whatAlesU said:
Run the line under some boiling water for a minute, it should push on easier.
cheers.
i was using hot taper water, but boil;ing water got it.

Geeze, it just hit me that we haven't answered the question.

No, I don't think so. You have only three barb ridges on the tube. When I did the same years ago I've had one blow off when I lifted keg pressures to force carbing levels with the disconnect on.

You could marmalade it in a bit further, they are fiddly but once in shouldn't need a clamp.

Best practice as I've found from my fuckups is: cut the line flat at the end, perpendicular to the line; heat about 1cm of the tube end AND the barb end on the disconnect; push tube all the way to the base of the barb where it meets the disconnect. I've never had any issues since I started doing it this way. Zorco's point to not heat too much of the tube is well taken.

I'd use a hose clamp regardless. Easy insurance. If they pop out you get fair leakage.

Latest posts

Back