Is This An Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooraf

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if either of these are infected?

I preped the starter middle of last week and had to go away for the weekend so i turned off the stirrplate and when i get back it looked like the pic.. is this healthy enough to pitch? its the first time i've used liquid yeast...

photo2.JPG

also when i got back i found my fermenting beer (a different beer from what i want to use the starter on) looking like this in my fridge and it had a hole in the top of the cling wrap. is this normal?

photo.JPG

awesome :)

do you require a closer up pic of the starter for more info??

Can anyone tell me if either of these are infected?

I preped the starter middle of last week and had to go away for the weekend so i turned off the stirrplate and when i get back it looked like the pic.. is this healthy enough to pitch? its the first time i've used liquid yeast...

View attachment 41660

also when i got back i found my fermenting beer (a different beer from what i want to use the starter on) looking like this in my fridge and it had a hole in the top of the cling wrap. is this normal?

View attachment 41659

Can't really tell on the starter... looks a little murky and a bit hazy up the sides of the flask though... not what my starters look like at first glance though.
here's what mine looks like
IMG_0443.jpg

As for the fermenter shot... looks normal to me. I find darker beers give krausens that look weird in comparison to paler beers all bubbly and gooey looking. looks fine but replace the glad wrap if it has a hole in it.

Have a taste, you should get a idea if something is NQR. Remember it will taste sweeter because you have made unbittered beer with your starter :party:

What does the starter smell like? I usually check its smell to make sure its ok.

Have a taste, you should get a idea if something is NQR. Remember it will taste sweeter because you have made unbittered beer with your starter :party:

will this be the case as i cube my beer to cool it and have used 3L from that to make my starter...

I have found the source of my infection. It came from my stirring spoon, it was a plastic one that we used to cook our food with. I got up this morning and it had white growths all over it (shoulda taken a pic), so I just went and got a stainless steel one that is now ONLY for my brews.

so I just went and got a stainless steel one that is now ONLY for my brews.
That's a good idea.

Is it easy enough to find a long handle stainless steel spoon the same length as the plastic ones?

I have found the source of my infection. It came from my stirring spoon, it was a plastic one that we used to cook our food with. I got up this morning and it had white growths all over it (shoulda taken a pic), so I just went and got a stainless steel one that is now ONLY for my brews.

Hey Fasty, I stopped using a spoon altogether for partials & K&Bits. It's an unnecessary step IMO, that leads to more chance of infection.

will this be the case as i cube my beer to cool it and have used 3L from that to make my starter...

If it has fermented out it just tastes like your hydro samples when the brew has finished (young beer), if it's still going should be on the sweeter side.

Have a taste and smell, let us know how you go

Back