Is there demand for organic malt and hops in Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikk

Reaction score
Is there demand for organic malt and hops in Sydney? If they were available at reasonable prices, would you buy them?

Cryer, the distributor for Weyermann Malts, currently only stocks Weyermann organic pilsener & wheat as standard items in Australia, though Weyermann now has a fairly substantial variety of organic malts available, such as-

Pilsener
Pale
Wheat
Vienna
Munich
Carapils
Carahell
Carared
Caramunich
Caraaroma
Carafa
Chocolate rye.
Acidulated

As you can imagine, there is a price premium on the organic malts compared to the standard malts, though it's not as big as you might expect.

Hops wise, things are a little harder to obtain with organic status. Craftbrewer always seems to have a few available, though other than this, only the kiwi hops seem (sometimes) available for the homebrewer. Peter at Bintani is currently on the case for me to see what he can find, with current reports suggesting that 5kg minimums for anything he can get will be the order of the day. Sounds alot, but at least for traditional hops (Goldings/Hallertau etc) shouldn't be an issue. Others will be more problematic, I imagine.

Suppose, theoretically, that a (yet to be approved) bulk buy was to be organised in the coming weeks for organic products, would you be interested?

Pricing at this stage is still TBC, but I expect base malts (inc vienna/munich) to be around $80-$85 a bag, the others about $90-$95 a bag, except for the acidulated which is much more expensive, I'm led to believe, but could be available by the kilo instead.
As the malt would have to come special order, there would be a 10-11 week lead time, so looking at end of July delivery date. Pilsener/wheat could possibly be ordered before then if there is enough demand for it, with the only 2 bags of organic acidulated malt in the country set aside for this (potential) purchase already.

There would be no minimum order needed for the purchase to go ahead.

I'm yet to hear back from Bintani about organic hop availability and pricing, but you can be assured that at least some traditional hops will be available to go with the malt!

I know that there are a lot of organics naysayers on the AHB forums, but it would be appreciated if this thread wasn't turned into a for/against organics argument.

Other malts from Cryer (Weyermann, Dinngemans, BB, Thomas Fawcett, Bairds) would also be available as part of any future purchase, though priority will go to organic malt purchasers first.

Thanks,
Mikk.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=23&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=24&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=29&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2

Admins- please feel free to move this to the Bulk Buy forum, but as yet it's just an expression of interest to see if a bulk buy is likely to go ahead.

Hi Mikk, I'd definitely be interested in base malt and splitting some specialty malts if you can gather enough interest. I'm near Goulburn but would travel to Sydney for pickup if anyone else in the Canberra region is interested.

Latest posts

Back