Is There An Aluminium Debate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
i picked up a dirt cheap massive stock pot with tap on the bottom... about 40 Litres but it's aluminium...

looking at doing my first BIAB and wondering if Ally is frowned upon?

any suggestions appreciated

cheers.

Die in the knowledge you enjoyed drinking great beer.

Seriously, many of us use alloy pots and we ...errr...seem ok... although this one time at vic case swap....................

That doesn't seem to be leaving much room for debate, does it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the science says that pots are fine. Apparently the beer you make in them is a bigger risk to your health or something? I stopped listening at that point.

Someone once told me they got aluminium poisoning from drinking too much beer from aluminium tinnies. Pobably a load of crap.
Aluminium has none of the qualities that I admire in a metal.

This is a perfect sentence. It makes me wish I had an issue with aluminium so that I could put it in my sig.

That doesn't seem to be leaving much room for debate, does it?

Suggesting the debate amongst homebrewers is as tired as whether you can get botulism from no chill or whether glad wrap is a suitable lid replacement.

@Boagsy - lightweight, strong, corrosion resistant? None of these qualities are admirable?

I chose not to use it. Aluminium leeches.
Some reports have stated it increases the chances of alzheimer's disease, but your liver will probably die before then :)

I have made many things in a aluminum pot, rice, potatoes, crabs, curry, beer has been the best.
Just look after your pot it needs to be cleaned straight away, its not like stainless its needs to be looked after.

I chose not to use it. Aluminium leeches.
Some reports have stated it increases the chances of alzheimer's disease, but your liver will probably die before then :)

If these reports were cows everyone on AHB would be eating steak.

Anyone else really want a steak now?

Some reports have stated it increases the chances of alzheimer's disease,

Reports from maybe around 1972. No conclusive links between aluminium in cookware and the incidence of alzheimers as far as I'm aware. Happy to be shown different. Maybe it's in the same journal as the white tailed spiders cause leprosy papers.

I'd be looking at genetics and lack of exercise for your brain as the two main causal factors of alzheimers.

There is sufficient
evidence to indicate that cooking
food of a salty or sufficiently acidic
or alkaline nature in aluminium
pots and pans, or storing the food
in aluminium foil, results in an
increased amount of aluminium in
the food and increased dietary
intake. However, there is no
evidence that this is associated
with a significantly increased
uptake of aluminium into the body.

FROM HERE: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/ph/Documents/ehu/4177.pdf

@Boagsy - lightweight, strong, corrosion resistant? None of these qualities are admirable?

lightweight can be good but a good thick steel base would be better
i'd prefer it was more inert (inerter)
i believe it's relatively soft, scratches easy and reasonably pliable

If these reports were cows everyone on AHB would be eating steak.

I eat steak and live in Victoria, Jayse is just a weirdo that beats from his ass.

lightweight can be good but a good thick steel base would be better
i'd prefer it was more inert (inerter)
i believe it's relatively soft, scratches easy and reasonably pliable

Ever tried to set up a solid steel scaffold?

Ever tried to set up a scaffold without a good base?

Ever tried to set up a solid steel scaffold?

I believe anyone that did would probably admire a lightweight metal but I haven't, won't and don't.
On the other hand if it's too heavy then they wouldn't have to lift it and perhaps it may have other means of erection.
I see your point though, strength to weight ratio, I would prefer Titanium.

Edit - And it tends to burr at the joints with time.

The inside of the cans is actually lined with an epoxy coating. So yes that story is full of crap; they got their Al poisoning from elsewhere.
Someone once told me they got aluminium poisoning from drinking too much beer from aluminium tinnies. Pobably a load of crap.

Latest posts

Back