Is my mash tun ready to go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crouch

Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure after reading various forums, watching vids on the old 'tube ... that my esky-conversion is good to go ... but I thought i'd post up just to make sure.

Tubing inside is all copper - it has not be soldered together so I can disassemble for easy cleaning. It has 3mm holes on the underside, spaced at 1cm apart.

Question 1: should I solder all the joints so the manifold is fixed, or is leaving it 'dry fitted' okay?

1378801_10151965796132959_686812102_n.jpg

The ball joint and all external fittings are brass (I'm hoping to upgrade all this to stainless after a few batches) ... it steps down from 20m copper tubing, through a reduced bore ball valve to a 15mm tail-pipe ... not ideal I've been told via friends on FB but it will do until I upgrade it to all SS.

1381573_10151965796197959_1654055989_n.jpg

Sooo ... I'm pretty sure she is good to go ... or should I say mash ... the only things i can think of is that i have drilled the holes too large at 3mm, will that be an issue?

Thanks guys

Looks like it will work, to me.

Have you water tested for leaks?

If so, run a mash through it and see how it goes mate, what have you got to lose?

no need to solder. Mine's been going 4 years or so. Can break apart for cleaning if need be. As above - run water through and see if there are leaks then try out a mash. Manifold design is more significant for fly sparging - if batching and you don't leak, you should run OK.

Cocko said:
Looks like it will work, to me.

Have you water tested for leaks?

If so, run a mash through it and see how it goes mate, what have you got to loose?
Cheers ... I've tested it full of water and nothing leaks, so I guess that's a good sign ... just wasn't too sure about the 3mm holes... they seem kinda large ... I've never all-grained before just getting all my kit ready, maybe I'm being over cautious?

Reckon my holes are 2-3 mm. 1 mm disc from memory but didn't cut 1mm holes.

The grain bed forms the filter when allowed to settle properly - manifold just stops little annoying pieces of crap getting through.

Manticle has said it all ..

AND the ability to break it apart for cleaning is a great feature.

Mash on.

And be excellent to each other...

ok, bye.

Back