Is My Beer Stuffed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im_hoppin_mad

Reaction score
is my beer stuff

i put a brew down 9 days ago and it has not bubbled or fermented
on day 7 i done a sg reading and it was the same as the day i put
it down 1054 so i went up the road and bought a new yeast and came
home and gave it a good mix and put the yeast in and its bubblin and
fermentin great it droped to 1030 but i noticed in the test jar that there
was heaps of floatys in the brew wot should i do should i tip it out and
start again or have i done the right thing

I think this is a "wait and see" situation. Obviously the first batch of yeast was no good, but now its off and running. Its quite conceivable that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the beer (certainly assume this until proven otherwise). Wait a few more days and then have a little taste. It won't be anywhere near "finished" but it will give you an idea if it is bad or not. It should be pretty obvious if a dodgy has gotten in.

As much as sweet wort sitting at room temperature for 7 days would be about the perfect environment for little dodgies to grow, if your sanitation was good you should be ok. Just have a taste ever couple of days and you'll soon know what the verdict is.

Good luck - I hope it works out ok! :)

7 days and no change in gravity, you would think that wort left 7 days lying around would get an infection. However the no change in gravity could be a good sign (considering closed fermentor extra). If it smells ok and tastes ok for the stage it is at it could be fine. Though I'd be worried about infection and would not store after bottling or kegging for a long time, incase it gives time for an infection to take over the beer.
The floaties could be yeast.

Try rehydrating the yeast before pitching,get it off to a good start

nonicman said:
However the no change in gravity could be a good sign
[post="91951"][/post]​
That's a very good point.

I always like to look on the bright side with these things. So many people throw beer down the drain because it "might" have come in contact with a dodgy. Its going to be as clear as day if there is a problem. Tasting/smelling the beer will give the only real answer.

:chug:

i gave it a taste and it taste sweet doent taste like ne thing is wrong with it

hey thanks for ya help but i tiped it
out this morning i jus didnt wanna
take a risk thanks for all ya input

What risk??? All signs pointed to it probably being fine!

I always take the view that "if in doubt don't chuck it out", not the other way around. The absolute worst that can happen is that you spend an hour bottling a beer that turns out to be bad.

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything. Its just that I would have given it a bit more of a chance. :)

This scenario reminds me a bit of the scene from Animal House when they are clearing out the frat house and somebody trips over while carrying a box of liquor, and John Belushi almost has a heart attack :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must say was surprised that you tipped it after tasting it and finding it fine. :lol:

Latest posts

Back