Is Maltodextrin The Same As Dextrose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to check that dextrose and maltodextrin are not the same thing?

Hi Screwy, This is not a flame, I'm just not entirely clear on what point you were trying to make when you quoted me. Could you explain a little further.

Cheers
Earle

Definitely not the same.

Earle, pointing out that confusion re DextROSE and DextRIN is common among newbs. Lots of newbs regard both as "Dex" and don't understand that there is a difference.

No worries, I was just a bit confused by your post as it was the shop that had sent the wrong thing.

Cheers

wow this thread has solved a massive problem i was having......i bulk primed 4 brews....flat as a witches tit....the recipes called for corn sugar which my research told me is dextrose. i went into my local HBS and the guy assured me the brewcraft corn syrup was dextrose so i used it. after reading this thread i looked again and on the label it also says brew improver/malto-dextrin.

so this could be why my brews are flat?

and corn sugar is dextrose?

thanks

In Australia anyway corn syrup and corn sugar are different. If you are adding malto dex or a significant proportion of maltodex as your priming sugar then yes it will be flat.

You should let LHBS know and politely suggest they do some research on the products they sell.

Another point of confusion is the Malto part of Maltodextrin. It is not made from malt, usually from Maize or even potatoes and is a common food extender to give 'mouthfeel'. I see it's a main ingredient in Aldi recipe sachets like Stroganoff.

wow this thread has solved a massive problem i was having......i bulk primed 4 brews....flat as a witches tit....the recipes called for corn sugar which my research told me is dextrose. i went into my local HBS and the guy assured me the brewcraft corn syrup was dextrose so i used it. after reading this thread i looked again and on the label it also says brew improver/malto-dextrin.

so this could be why my brews are flat?

and corn sugar is dextrose?

thanks

In my experience brewcraft excel at not being helpful. I called them a couple of weeks ago to say that I couldn't see galaxy or centennial on their website. The bloke hadn't heard of either. I don't shop there but was willing to that day because I didn't have a car & they're walking distance from my place. I didn't end up brewing that day.

Latest posts

Back