Is Maltodextrin The Same As Dextrose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago I put in an online order to Grain and Grape. I ordered 500g of dextrose which I want to use for bulk priming. Unfortunately, they've sent me maltodextrin instead of dextrose. I just want to check that dextrose and maltodextrin are not the same thing?

I assume they are not the same because it says on the label that the maltodextrin is only 15% fermentable.

Cheers,

Chris

Definitely not the same. As the label states maltodextrin is only 15% fermentable and used for increasing body and head retention. Give G&G a call and hopefully they'll send you the right thing for nix.

Definitely not the same. As the label states maltodextrin is only 15% fermentable and used for increasing body and head retention. Give G&G a call and hopefully they'll send you the right thing for nix.

Yep, just called them and they're going to send some dextrose.

Dextrose is labeled a simple carbohydrate and Maltodextrin complex
Maltodextrins are classified by DE (dextrose equivalent) and have a DE between 3 to 20
Dextrose, commonly called glucose, d-glucose.

Common mistake made by newbs.

used for increasing body and head retention (high FG/sweetness - unfermented sugar).
Screwy

My priming is with dextrose but when Im out I go for the backup white sugar that I keep handy as part of my brewing pantry. Thats the white sugar without the lumps of coffee and other crap in it :). I do sometimes wonder why I use dextrose instead of sugar most of the time, considering that sugar is cheaper. Has anyone done side by side blind tests with the same batch, and adjusted for fermentability variation if theres any. to see what the flavour or carbonation difference is. Such a tiny about per litre so guessing that its not going to matter. I might actually give it a burl when my next aussie ale is bottled, see if tasters can detect a difference.

I have fermented with table sugar and raw sugar when I've run out of dex. I think it's a psychological thing and I may make the switch to table sugar fairly soon as I notice no difference in the final brew flavour or level of fizz. If you are a KK brewer and using a kilo of sugar then you might be better off with dex (but probably even better off with malt and dex) but 130g in 22 L makes three fifths of an ant's cockeye's worth of not much difference at all.

Haven't done the old side by side blinder but I reckon if anyone can pick which of my brews was carbonated with raw sugar, which with a mix of raw and white, which with dex, which with a mix of dex and raw or white or both then they can have the rest of the batch. Even I forget which ones they are.

Different malt or hops or yeast on the other hand...................................

Has anyone done side by side blind tests with the same batch,

about a million of em, a search (this forum and others or Goole) should turn up more info than you are prepared to read.

Screwy

Thats exactly what I figured. So why do so many people reach for the dextrose ? Its probably just a waste of money for carb priming purposes.

I have fermented with table sugar and raw sugar when I've run out of dex.

NB: By fermented I meant primed although I have used small quantities of straight table sugar in the boil with aussie styles and my candi sugar is made with raw or white.

Sugar is an ingredient like any other and can be used well or badly, in balance or out of balance.

Why do people reach for dex? Psychological conditioning? Just in case the sugar haters are right? I know for me, I've spent ages fermenting and conditioning this thing so my mind thinks I should take care with the priming and use a more expensive ingredient. I think I'll try table sugar for my next few and only change back if I notice a real difference.

What would be interesting to see is if there's a difference in flavour between priming with table sugar and priming with krausening.

Thats exactly what I figured. So why do so many people reach for the dextrose ? Its probably just a waste of money for carb priming purposes.

I can't get table sugar from LHBS & I'll do anything I can to avoid the supermarket. I bought a 5kg bag of dex ages ago & I'd be surprised if it was more than $10, surely there can't be that much price difference.

NB: By fermented I meant primed

:) :) :) I was going to ping you on that but decided that most people knew what you meant, including myself.

I think I'll try table sugar for my next few and only change back if I notice a real difference.

I generally use either dex or castor sugar (depending on what is available because I always forget to check if I have priming sugar on bottling day) and haven't noticed any difference between the two.

Dude. You almost got pinged hardcore!

Hi,

A few days ago I put in an online order to Grain and Grape. I ordered 500g of dextrose which I want to use for bulk priming. Unfortunately, they've sent me maltodextrin instead of dextrose. I just want to check that dextrose and maltodextrin are not the same thing?

I assume they are not the same because it says on the label that the maltodextrin is only 15% fermentable.

Cheers,

Chris
Use the maltodextrin in your next brew to add mouth feel and body. If you are doing a normal 22 to 25 litre batch use only a small amount, say 150g to 250g with your normal fermentables to add extra body and head retention. It is not for priming and is similar in fermentability to lactose...used for body and mouth feel as it doesnt ferment out...dont use it as a substiture for dex, malt or sugar!
Bubba

Dude. You almost got pinged hardcore!

Mate, it was just a phrase. No need to get loco and off topic.

I have decided that my brew pantry's stock of dextrose shall be my last.

Common mistake made by newbs.

Screwy

Hi Screwy, This is not a flame, I'm just not entirely clear on what point you were trying to make when you quoted me. Could you explain a little further.

Cheers
Earle

Back