Is it possible to get some type of beer swap happening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnClunks

Reaction score
Ok I have a idea, I don't know how it's possible but it would be great if brewers somehow in their respective regions could swap brews like I put a beer in I take a beer out and if I like I get the recipe. Has this been done is there a way to do this though a lhbs I dunno just thinking it's a cool idea like beer communism but in principle would probably fail like communism lol

It's a nice idea. It happens quite regularly through local brew clubs. My current club Hunter United Brewers do it about once a year, but nothing to stop members doing it amongst themselves on a casual basis.
Perhaps locate and join a club, and you should be right. I believe there may be an active club in Brisbane, Any locals want to confirm details?

In Victoria we used to have a pretty active swap meet culture going amongst AHB members.

Swaps were held twice a year - you go along with a case of your beer and go home with a mixed case with one of every other brewer's beer. These grew to become a great weekend ng event that involved a big brew together - in which brewers all took home a cube of wort that was brewed on the day. I think we brewed about 600+ litres. On top of the swap we would take a keg along to share at the swap - I have seen these events have 20 kegs on tap. Guys would camp overnight and sit around a fire sharing beer and having a general laugh. Plenty of great food to be had - spit roast at times, brisket in a smoker.....

Vic Case swaps are awesome - Covid saw them grind to a halt and we seem to have lost momentum to get another one up an running.

There is a whole lot of threads relating to past case swaps (not only Vic but other states too) in here

Would like something like this too. A covid era case swap. So many beer styles out there I'd like to taste but there's only so much I can brew.

What I mean is not a full carton, just a beer for a beer. No club or anything might have to buy the lhbs a fridge or something and chip in for power. But I mean no club and a fridge you put in a beer you get a beer if you like you can request a recipe etc

It's a nice idea. It happens quite regularly through local brew clubs. My current club Hunter United Brewers do it about once a year, but nothing to stop members doing it amongst themselves on a casual basis.
Perhaps locate and join a club, and you should be right. I believe there may be an active club in Brisbane, Any locals want to confirm details?
Hey philrob, I'm on the mid north coast (sorta), 20km inland of Port Macquarie. I used to be a member of a brew club on the south Coast (Illawarra to eden). Is your club interested in any new members? Sorry for the hi Jack of post

Hi Beamer. Yes, all are always welcome at HUB. Have a look at the thread of their competition for contact and details. Sorry, I'm in Brisbane at the moment and only have phone access, so can't give you better details at present. I'll try to get you more details when I'm back home.

What I mean is not a full carton, just a beer for a beer. No club or anything might have to buy the lhbs a fridge or something and chip in for power. But I mean no club and a fridge you put in a beer you get a beer if you like you can request a recipe etc

Where do you live man

Logan sorry for late reply I've been crook
Ah ok - I’d have been keen to embrace this. In Melbourne tho…
Matty, Capn, I'd be down to swap some beers via the post. I'm in Sydney. I've just got an Irish Dry Stout into the keg. When its carbed, I'll draw some bottles off it. I've got an American IPA in the fermenter and could do the same with those.

Lemme know if you're interested and we can work out how to send bottles to eachother. :)

Matty, Capn, I'd be down to swap some beers via the post. I'm in Sydney. I've just got an Irish Dry Stout into the keg. When its carbed, I'll draw some bottles off it. I've got an American IPA in the fermenter and could do the same with those.

Lemme know if you're interested and we can work out how to send bottles to eachother. :)
You can send in the post?

I only have lager left atm and probably gone tomorrow my nursing stout has a while to go but I might remake this lager (it's pretty good) but with some adjustments (invert sugar etc)

If anyone else is keen we could get a forum wide swap going, if anyone else is interested I will start a swapping thread, where people list what they willing to swap and then pm the person I suppose.
Would need better organisation anyone have ideas?
Could also rate others brews and average the results, and also swap recipes we like that we swapped beers for

Back