Is it possible to brew sugar free beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctr-dan

Reaction score
My Dad recently got diagnosed with non symptomatic multiple myeloma basically a form of blood cancer.
There's no cure as such for this form of cancer and it's unknown when it will decide to start effecting his health it could be in a week or it could be in ten years. So long story short apparently cancer likes sugar so he is trying to cut out sugar from his diet as much as possible.
So he was wondering if it was possible to brew without the sugar.
He is a rough as guts brewer, just cheap cans and poor technique.

If by sugar you mean sucrose then yes.
Otherwise no. Something needs to ferment.
Mind you if he brews a saison with a finishing gravity around 1005 then there will be very little residual sugar left.

Sorry to hear about your dad mate, as per the above not much will be left with certain yeasts etc, maybe easiest option would be to get him onto somehting like the M Jacks Blonde Cans that come with some enzyme that helps to get the FG lower hence less residual sugar left in the beer. Maybe also encourage him to go down the route of a mid beer (Kit + half kilo) rather then a full as it will also have less sugar in the final product. Either that or you can buy the dry enzyme and add that.

Bummer news on your dad, been down a similar road and you have my sympathy.

To answer your question, it is largely going to depend on what you mean by Sugar. If you mean White Sugar that is more correctly known as Sucrose then yes there are alternatives.
In the malt extract that makes up the kit, there is a lot of other sugars, mainly Maltose, so you could use more malt extract (either liquid or dry) and not add any Sucrose.
He could use dextrose which is Sucrose free, but these options do contain Sugars, just not "Sugar" and I suspect the real answer is going to be no.
Odds on the doctor is going to be saying he should avoid everything he enjoys, personally I think a little of some really good beer that is enjoyed, would be the only answer, not much point in living if you are having no fun at all.
Mark

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Have you actually been told by a medical professional to avoid sugar. As far as i can find the sugar feeds cancer is a complete myth

I also have read that sugar feeds cancer, all cells need glucose including cancer cells, not eating fruits and carbohydrates is less beneficial to your body. You should suggest your Dad to take the advice of the oncologist treating him and only take in the information on the websites who deal with cancer, the Australian and American Cancer Council and the UK Macmillan Cancer Support. Do not start taking in duff information from other sites.

Shitty news for your dad and family mate. Sorry to hear it.

The body runs on glucose. Irrespective of what you eat the vast majority of it gets converted to glucose to fuel cells (normal and malignant). Cancer cells need lots of energy to survive as the replicate faster than rabbits, however it is very difficult to starve them without starving all the other cells in your body.

As far as beer, sugar and multiple myeloma I'd be asking your dad's haematologist, oncologist and GP about having a beer and if it is likely to have an effect on his health.

JD

Bit hard to brew without any form of sugar, but in saying that there are yeasts/bacteria than can convert cellulose ( plant material ) into alcohol, but I would suspect that it would be more deadly that the cancer.

Enzymes used in brewing "Dry" beers may be your only way out to help reduce as much sugar as possible in your beer

Sorry to hear about your dad I have no useful info just my condolences

Latest posts

Back