Is Homebrewing A Creative Outlet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you eaten there?

As I said before "Expensive food but affordable art" ...

No. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't get value from a degustation containing 8 artistic impressions of edible animal tissue.

I've been discussing this here at work (in between punching in SQL) and I'm pretty happy with my own definition of art has being something that is not primarily intended to be utilitarian and is created with the intention to express something and is perceived as such. There is no art without a viewer (even if it is just the artist).

Seared scallops and chives on a plate with a ying and yang sauce drip is not art, it's well presented food. A nicely balanced beer with 1 malt, 1 step mash, 2 hop varieties in 3 additions fermented at 5 degrees for 8 days and served in 13 oz glasses is still "just" a beer despite the fibonaci sequence inherent in it's production. Yes, even if there is 4 leaf clover poured into the foam.

No. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't get value from a degustation containing 8 artistic impressions of edible animal tissue.

I've been discussing this here at work (in between punching in SQL) and I'm pretty happy with my own definition of art has being something that is not primarily intended to be utilitarian and is created with the intention to express something and is perceived as such. There is no art without a viewer (even if it is just the artist).

Seared scallops and chives on a plate with a ying and yang sauce drip is not art, it's well presented food. A nicely balanced beer with 1 malt, 1 step mash, 2 hop varieties in 3 additions fermented at 5 degrees for 8 days and served in 13 oz glasses is still "just" a beer despite the fibonaci sequence inherent in it's production. Yes, even if there is 4 leaf clover poured into the foam.

Wierd enough I have also being punching in SQL...

I have eaten at Tetsuya's to me it looked like art! mmmmmmm meat... though I am conscious of were I get it from...

Any way at last a different thread! and (back on topic) yes to all your questions Sinkas!

that ripeart link is worth checking out for functions in and around perth

I think the manufacture of the beer is a craft - full of technique and process that one must learn in the same way that sculptors must learn how to hit chisels with mallets to make the marks they want to and cooks/chefs must know how to cook things - and that the art is more around the choice of ingredients to achieve an end.

There are brewers amongst us who can make really great beer, but could not formulate a recipe to save themselves - and probably the other way around too.

I reckon there are people who are 'makers'. They will make their own beer and smoke their own meats, saponify oils and probably build some part of their house. That is the element that interests me - what motivates some people to make stuff and for others to just drive down to the nearest Golden Arches/Harvey Norman/whatever...

Biab Art....

I call it:

Does my bum look big in this......?

IMG_0080.JPG

Biab Art....

I call it:

View attachment 24099

Reading this thread, amused at where the seventh worst thread ever started is going (sorry Sinkas) then up comes KT with that photo. Pissing myself with laughter.

Ya gotta love some of the crap you read here ! :icon_cheers:

Thanks fellow artisans !

Edit : This sort of thread revives interest in AHB for those who keep seeing the same old questions ! Not annoyed or worried about that, it good .. it means the next generation is coming through. It just means those of us on a different level to others can communicate on like terms and enjoy our time here !

I think that that was the largest load of warm air released in utter sobriety. I am claiming heat stroke and ill digestion. I will try to never post sober again.

Nicely put Dave :lol: !

C&B
TDA

Thanks Mark. I hoped I'd get a laugh. I was just having a tease really.

Funnily enough Deebee, I think you are one of only two people who has ever bothered to ask why I have used certain names for my beers, which I was happy about.

Case, I didn't actually realise you had started this thread. And with a valid question too. I only read the attempts at deciding if beer is art. Sinkas approaches brewing in an inspired way and comes up with awesome style-defying recipes and fantastic names to match.

But, the higher sentiments are the hardest to describe and very few are good at it; most of us unwittingly end up sounding like wankers (like in this thread). Intelligence is like good looks: you did SFA to acquire it, so if you get pleasure showing others your cleverness, you are like Paris Hilton flashing her tits about. Interesting for a moment, but a bit silly really.

Seriously though brewers, love your craft, but become obsessed with it at your peril. Beer snobs are scarier than train spotters.

DB

Paris Hilton flashing her tits about.

DB

excuse me for a moment while i ponder the deep artistic merit of that image

:icon_chickcheers:

.....and im spent

could be worse than train spotting could be a tram nerd :blink:

cheers
carty

But, the higher sentiments are the hardest to describe and very few are good at it; most of us unwittingly end up sounding like wankers (like in this thread). Intelligence is like good looks: you did SFA to acquire it, so if you get pleasure showing others your cleverness, you are like Paris Hilton flashing her tits about. Interesting for a moment, but a bit silly really.

Is that strictly true? If Einstein were born tomorrow and put on a diet of Big Brother, E-news, Today Tonight, Home And Away and People magazine do you think he would seem intelligent?

You gain intelligence by feeding your brain the right things. Reading books, studying, not watching trashy TV.

Do you think super models live on McDonalds and drink as much beer as we do?

While I admire your sentiment above, I guess I don't like the idea of divorcing ones self from responsibility or diminishing the accomplishments of others. You can always better your lot in life with a bit of hard work. If you've got an ugly mug then you can at least work hard not to be a fat pig. If you learn slowly then at least try to learn the interesting things in life (and celebrity gossip is not it). And I would hate to assume that anyway who is good at something, or good looking in some way "was just born with it". Chances are they had to put some work into it.

Besides, I would not use that skanky tart Paris Hilton as an example of a good looking bird anyway :)

funny, I thought that an intelligent discussion, held by intelligent people, was a chance to learn - A well thought out and well expressed response contributing to someone else's learning experience as they contribute to yours. The only people in this thread that I think have sounded like wankers (apart from possibly myself) are those that insist on applying the term to others.

Or at least that's what i am hoping for when I take part in a conversation such as this. Apparently I've been doing it all wrong... now I vaguely suspect that I am supposed to get my tits out - and I gotta tell you, if I take my shirt off; the guys who I work with are not going to be happy about it.

Back to the art/not art thing..... I think that I almost entirely agree with po-mo. I just differ in the degree. I think that art must be for arts sake alone.. practical things cannot be art. BUT.. I think that there are degrees of art in anything that is not entirely utilitarian. the chair example keeps coming up so I'll use it.

A three legged stool fulfills all the practical functions of a chair, it keeps your bum off the ground and its relatively comfortable. It may or may not be in and of itself, aesthetically pleasing - but that aesthetic is a byproduct of the functionality. That is craft. A well crafted chair/stool/whatever is defined as such because it performs its function well --- Now take a beautiful designer chair - the bits of that that keep your bum off the floor, not art - but the bits that make people go "wow, that chair looks great" or that appeal to the eye or to the touch and are there solely for that purpose -- those bits are art.

Beers purpose is to slake your thirst and get you drunk. The popularity of not particularly nice beer, would seem to indicate that tasting good... isn't actually one of beers core functions. So talented craftsmen in breweries across the land churn out beer that provides refreshment and drunkeness and does it without fault - and a few passionate and creative brewers about the place, try to add more... for no reason other than aesthetics. Those brewers who design, create, and inject their passion (ewww) into a beer for no reason other than to provide an ephemeral moment of pleasure for a distant audience... to me that's art.

I have on a couple of occasions seen upmarket wine shops that referred to themselves as "Wine Galleries" - I usd to think of them as pretentious wankers.... now I think that much less than I did before I started reading this thread. Oh they are still wankers for actually calling it a gallery; but the concept of a place to buy and enjoy a consumptive sensory experience , being thought of as a gallery. Not entirely unwarranted.

Hell, I think I learned something, even if only about myself. (and no, its not that I am a wanker.... i already knew that) And no one had to get their tits out at all :p

The actual thread that was started didnt really say anything about art, only weather people find it to be a creative outlet and what they named there beers....

Certain people then went on to say the making of beer is not art! No one actually said it was unless in jest! And then we get called wankers or a beer snob! It was a fun thread but ended cruely!

Ego vs tits.... mmmm I know what I would rather see!

Biab Art....

I call it:

View attachment 24099

No Katie, it looks just fine.

I've been waiting for someone to say they named a beer, 'Mutual Masturbation Lager' - a more enjoyable drop than the sadly more consumed 'Solitary Masturbation Lager'. Or 'Third Worst Belgian Ale in Forum History' - an arbitrary title for what may in fact may be the worst Belgian ale in history.

funny, I thought that an intelligent discussion, held by intelligent people, was a chance to learn - A well thought out and well expressed response contributing to someone else's learning experience as they contribute to yours. The only people in this thread that I think have sounded like wankers (apart from possibly myself) are those that insist on applying the term to others.

Or at least that's what i am hoping for when I take part in a conversation such as this.

well said mate

being a fairly laid back person that likes to keep my mind open to new ways of looking at things, I find on many occasoins that some peope who are cometitive can often mistake a conversation for an argument.

a statement is made such as "i get a great satisfaction on an artisitc level while making beer" (this is just an example it wasnt said during this thread but stay with me on this one) an argumentative person will hear what they want from the statement as at times we all do and may take the statement as, "beer is art", the competitive person will then take it on themselves to prove that they are right and that beer is not art rather than just accepting that people have different opinions on a lot of things.

it becomes a bit of a dick measuring contest rather than a healthy exchange of ideas and opinions.

its not a bad thing, people are just wired differently have different personality types and therefore are going to find pleasure in conversations/arguments in different ways

im sure i had a point to this post when i started writing but i have now forgotten it ummmmmm.......

BOOOBS!

A laid-back person wouldnt have posted such detritus.

See, that's me being artistically crafty with words. hahahahahhahahahahahhaha LOL ROFLMAO BRB FYI ETA P2P B2B Black Eyed Pea.

Brewing beer is not art. A craft, for sure.

And Katie, you over-rate food. A $15 curry with an exceptionally well cooked & presented basmati rice kicks arse over Tsetsui (sp?), Aria or Otto styles. We dont need an 18 inch diameter white plate to showcase a 100 gram bit of dry, overcooked fish with a few sprigs of fresh chive to make it a memorable dining excperience. Although Im sure the tuxedo-clad maitre de adds to many peoples experience.

Ahh so you are that guy I see at the Pad Thai joint in Glebe?

I kid.

There is a reason it is called "Craft Beer".

W(h)i(t)ch Craft ?

My first Little Creature Bright Ale was in Glebe only a few weeks ago, at the Toxteth.

Bizier, lets have a beer around there soon, eh ?

Luckily I don't live in a world with such stringent controls on what's allowed to be art - it must be a little sad.

My world is choc a bloc full of glorious beautiful art - everything from chairs to beers. Grass is greener over here! come round for a barbie one day and I'll show you what its like. There will be art on tap

(warning - art may well be bad)

Latest posts

Back