Is Homebrewing A Creative Outlet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We called one of our beers Planet of the Grapes... it was a summer ale with galaxy and nelson....
Reveiled did a similar beer and called it Anzac Ale which I also thought was creative!

One of my future brews for my dad, I will call " To Dad with Pride" an ale with pride of ringwood... My father has brewed since I can remember!

I am still surprised there hasnt been more talk about the naming of beers.

With my beer's names, they're either selected based on the probability that they'll make the person reading them laugh or they're based on landmarks from home.

There's a micro in this city that named one of their beers Brew-X, based on the massively fraudulent mining company Bre-X. I can't find a picture of the label, but it features a guy falling from a helicopter into the jungle, just as (it is alleged) that the head geologist for Bre-X died. I actually got turned on to Alley Kat's lineup because of one of their labels, which of course I can't find on the internet at the moment. The beer's name was Redneck, and the label had a caricature of a.....redneck. Damn funny label, damn good beer.

I tend to come up with stupid/sarcastic names for the hell of it- sometimes my friends help out. Some highlights include-

Foreign Extra Stout- "Go Back to Where You Came From, Foreign Extra Stout"
Milk Stout- "Safer Than Chinese Milk Stout"
Tooheys Old Clone- "Dave's Old"

I think that we can be artisans if we choose. Like making a great chair. But to call beer Art, and not just an art, that depends on the beer, and the wanker, I mean audience.

And Pomo... where did you get your handle? :p

I agree with your last statement, but I don't agree that beer, or furniture, tools and especially food can't be art.

but how do you define an art form?

is photography an art form

I think art is something that has no use apart from its aesthetic appeal. A painting on the wall is not intended to be used to serve food, or build anything. Objects intended to be used or consumed, just imho, don't constitute art, no matter how well made or decorated.

What about edible art....?

Something like a wedding cake, or a birthday cake with a picture on it that somebody has piped on?????

What about a cup of coffee with an artistic creme top?

But PostModern, what if Marcel Duchamp called a beer Art?

According to his logic, my bottle tree could be interpreted as the equivalent of a print/replica, so long as I put it on a plinth rather than a shelf in my brewery.

Of course this is all high falutin' nonsense, I need a humble ale to wash this bulls#!t down.

What about edible art....?

Something like a wedding cake, or a birthday cake with a picture on it that somebody has piped on?????

What about a cup of coffee with an artistic creme top?

The word we are looking for here is craft. My grandparents on my maternal side were artists, but on my paternal side they were definitely craftspeople.
ED: and I went to school for that. It didn't just teach me to drink.

I love it when there's an awesome pattern on top of my coffee...

I wouldnt go as far as some of the art work I have seen on coffee but I do like a good creme pattern on top! There is care so you will probably get a decent cup of coffee instead of over heated froth...

hey what about the clove on top of a Guiness???? They took me ages to learn when in England.

The word we are looking for here is craft. My grandparents on my maternal side were artists, but on my paternal side they were definitely craftspeople.

Isnt craft a type of ART????

Don't we visualise our recipes and finishing beer????

Isnt craft a type of ART????

Don't we visualise our recipes and finishing beer????

I visualise the pasta recipes I cook. Does this mean my three-cheese cannelloni is an art form??? Wow, the family will be impressed.

I agree with Bizier, craft is the word you're looking for. Fine furniture is made by a craftsman, not an artist.

A dominant paradigm in academic art theory says there is a distinction. Whether you or I agree with the distinction is another thing.

It basically boils down to, when you make your beer, are you thinking of the human condition.

Therefore my Obama IPA is art... because I say so, and I signed my fermenter (my pseudonym is --23L).

ED: spelling

I visualise the pasta recipes I cook. Does this mean my three-cheese cannelloni is an art form??? Wow, the family will be impressed.

I agree with Bizier, craft is the word you're looking for. Fine furniture is made by a craftsman, not an artist.

Well I think my friend that chisled a chair our of a tree stump would beg to differ!

But then some people have formal training to be say a oil painter not all artist's are untrained... maybe art and craft can be melded into a single individual.

A dominant paradigm in academic art theory says there is a distinction. Whether you or I agree with the distinction is another thing.

It basically boils down to, when you make your beer, are you thinking of the human condition.

Therefore my Obama IPA is art... because I say so, and I signed my fermenter (my pseudonym is --23L).

ED: spelling

I agree with the paradigm without ever having studies art theory or history. I'm just a semantic *******.

An interesting point you make about the intent of the creator of the object defining if it is art or not. You may intend a keg of beer to be art, I see a beverage. If you tell me it is art, I might think it is bad art or not art at all.

Thinking of the human condition... another interesting example. An installation artist might consider hanging some found object from a gallery ceiling by a piece of ribbon art. I would call it a cheap shot unless I could clearly see the intention of the work. I contend that art is in the eye of the beholder as much as in the mind of the artist.

Well I think my friend that chisled a chair our of a tree stump would beg to differ!

But then some people have formal training to be say a oil painter not all artist's are untrained... maybe art and craft can be melded into a single individual.

Does the chair get sat on or looked at?

I think a person can be an artist and a craftsman, just as I'm a dba and a brewer, with the heart of a poet. Each work of the person may be an artwork or a piece of furniture.

Have you been to a modern art exhibition...? The average homebrew holds more evidence of talent, skill, vision and intent. AND it is tasty.

If you say something is Art, then it is, period. It is just persuading someone else to think the same that will be the challenge.

Henri Rousseau thought himself an artist, though intellectual discussion usually ends up with him being lumped into craft, 'naiive' or 'outsider' art. I love his works for their gangly nature, but I am viewing them in a postmodern framework.

I think it would take a pretty freakin' special beer to be called "High Art" by historians. Maybe Vinnie Cilurzo, Sam Calagione et al are getting close though.

I think it would take a pretty freakin' special beer to be called "High Art" by historians. Maybe Vinnie Cilurzo, Sam Calagione et al are getting close though.

I think it'll be a long time before any form or branch of gastronomy is recognised as art. Is Tetsuya's a Restaurant or a Gallery?

I think it'll be a long time before any form or branch of gastronomy is recognised as art. Is Tetsuya's a Restaurant or a Gallery?

Have you eaten there?

As I said before "Expensive food but affordable art" ...

I agree that home brewing can be classed as such.

But in my case, it is now becoming a worrying obsession.... especially where SWMBO is concerned....

Back