Iodophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
once iodophor is mixed up does it keep and can it be reused.

i made up 3 lts to sanitise a keg yesterday and now going to bottle this arvo, is it still sweet to use on my bottles and bottling gear????

cheers

Should be OK....just ensure that the water still has the brown tinge to it.

once iodophor is mixed up does it keep and can it be reused.

i made up 3 lts to sanitise a keg yesterday and now going to bottle this arvo, is it still sweet to use on my bottles and bottling gear????

cheers

As long as there is colour, there is sanitizing action. Once the colour fades, its no good anymore.

Just remember too though the brown mix will stain white plastic like fermenters and cubes, don't be scared by the staining. Just get used to brownish containers !

As long as there is colour, there is sanitizing action. Once the colour fades, its no good anymore.

Just remember too though the brown mix will stain white plastic like fermenters and cubes, don't be scared by the staining. Just get used to brownish containers !

Yep, all my plastics are stained like this its a little concerning when it first happens, but it's only cosmetic.

I just bought myself a bottle of star san this week, and will give it a run over the weekend.

As stated above. If you let it stand for a long period, settling may occur and a shake will re-distribute the chemical in the container. The colour is actually a marker tht it is still good.

Without having tried it, I would imagine that an anti-oxidant like metabisulphite might remove the staining.

Iodophor is an Acid, - UN 1760 (for transport precautions)

The colouring in Iodophor may be something different again. I keep some Iodophor mix in a fizzy drink bottle and notice the lid seal is dramatically stained, like the colour has worked it's way into the material's pores and amalgamated with it!

Latest posts

Back