Iodophor Pitfalls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip Ross,

I have been using sanatize for a year now and have had no infections at all, its easy to use and very effective, I will be giving your contact a call and putting an order in. $22.00 for a 1000lt of sanitser is pretty good value.

Thanks again
Andrew

Yes - I really like Sanitize, I use One Shot for general stuff and have a spray bottle of Sanitize just to finish things off like a fermenter just before I drop from the kettle or the kettle tap itself. I did a bit of a search for local (Perth) distributors of Hy-San but had no luck.

My only problem with Sanitize is one of perception; because its clear and has absolutley no smell, there's no sensory indication that there is something in there that is working. Its like the sinus hit that you get from Sodium Met is kind of reassuring (despite the fact it has limited sanitising qualities) or the colour of Pink powder etc. - maybe Idophor might be worth a go.

Goat said:
My only problem with Sanitize is one of perception; because its clear and has absolutley no smell, there's no sensory indication that there is something in there that is working. Its like the sinus hit that you get from Sodium Met is kind of reassuring (despite the fact it has limited sanitising qualities) or the colour of Pink powder etc. - maybe Idophor might be worth a go.
[post="53040"][/post]​

It is easy to check if still working - just pour a small sample on some dirt & it will fizz up if active - I just used in bottles I thought were clean & you could see it actively attacking parts off the bottle where something had been missed.

I tried some of my old Morgans sanitize solution & nothing, so chucked it...

++++

Apparently great for sore throats as well ;)

it should be used with ionised water - This is also sold at 40c a litre if required.

[/quote]

Is that de-ionised water?

If you are interested in the product, he can only sell it to you for horticultural purposes, as that is all his license permits

Be wary of horticultural grade sanitisers. This is how people DO get sick from homebrew.
"But I only used a few ml of horticultural grade stuff in the beer"

For the sake of your health, fork out the few extra bucks for food grade certified products, Please!

hmm, thanks Ross. My paranoia deepens....

I use the Morgans variety and I'm yet to notice any activity at all when I use it.

You guys are like family, so I can tell you that I once ridded myelf of halitosis caused by a decayed tooth by rinsing in iodophor solution. Still haven't had the tooth fixed....

Is there anything you cant do with this stuuf, Iodophor.

Darren said:
it should be used with ionised water - This is also sold at 40c a litre if required.

Is that de-ionised water?

If you are interested in the product, he can only sell it to you for horticultural purposes, as that is all his license permits

Be wary of horticultural grade sanitisers. This is how people DO get sick from homebrew.
"But I only used a few ml of horticultural grade stuff in the beer"

For the sake of your health, fork out the few extra bucks for food grade certified products, Please!
[post="53044"][/post]​
[/quote]

1) Sorry - my knowledge of this is pretty new & I did mean de-ionised.
2) I agree you should be wary of horticultural grade sanitisers - But this is NOT horticutural grade, it is food grade - The seller is only licensed to sell horticutural grade as I explained. The product is sold to the Royal Brisbane hospital, but not for use on their plants....
He will happily show you the saftey data sheets & full reports on the product if you are in any doubt...

Hi Ross,
I am not doubting you but I am doubting him. If he is selling agricultural grade sanitiser to a hospital I suspect the next time you visit him he will be in jail.
There are strict standards that are applied to anything used in a hospital that comes into contact with patients/food.
My guess is he is saying that "his" product is exactly the same as "x's" product but they have food grade certification.
Chances are he dilutes his concentrated stocks of the stuff in his "shed". Only God knows what else he stores/dilutes in that same shed.
As I said before, please stear clear of horticultural "anything" when brewing.

You see these posts of people in India who die from consuming "homebrew" filled with tanning compounds and methanol!
You can bet your life that someone told them it was safe!
Why else would you drink it?

It just occured to me that your post could be one of those "furry trolls." I hope that it isn't because food grade certification is actually extremely important.

cheers
Darren :party:

Darren said:
It just occured to me that your post could be one of those "furry trolls." I hope that it isn't because food grade certification is actually extremely important.

cheers
Darren :party:
[post="53098"][/post]​

Would you please explain to me what a "furry troll" is ???

Would you please explain to me what a "furry troll" is ???
[post="53125"][/post]​
[/quote]

Howdy Ross,
It is a post that is designed purely to get many responses.

Howdy Ross,
It is a post that is designed purely to get many responses.
[post="53128"][/post]​
[/quote]

Darren.

I think you are hitting below the belt a bit don't you.? Ross did not start this thread. Just because he wished to share his discovery that might be helpfull to others does not make him a troll. As to his discovery, it is your choice to either accept it or forget it. On the other hand your warning as to its use is fair enough and we shall evaluate it accordingly.

Cheers,
Keep on brewing' :beer:

Darren,

I am fairly new to this site, but I don't think I could ever have been accused of posting topics "for effect".

I respect this forum & put a lot of care & research into anything I post. I spent the whole morning at the Company asking questions & reading his extensive collection of product data safety sheets etc.

I listed the details of the Company involved with the contact name & would suggest you maybe contact him direct before passing judgement.

Horticultural Solutions - Wolfgang Strube B.Sc.Agr.(Hort) 07 3206 0037.

We are purely talking a sanitiser here - not medication for your kids.

Just about every homebrew store packages their own products - sanitisers, essences, brew boosters etc... Even ESB's Idophor looks like it's been put together by them (looking at the bottles), if I'm not mistaken?

Anyway, the post was purely put there, as an informative product option for people to consider, whether purchased from this Company or another. Personally I am very happy with the product & IMHO it is a better option than Idophor.

Cheers... Ross

MCWB said:
sosman said:
I have never used Iodophor but I have stacks of Betadine. I got the impression from somewhere that Iodophor was iodine and phosporic acid. Can anyone confirm what is actually in the stuff?
The iodophor ESB sells is 12 g/L effective iodine in 252 g/L phosphoric acid; it's made by DeLaval. I may have found an empty container of the stuff outside once. ;) :ph34r:
[post="52683"][/post]​

I take it that is 252mg/L phosphoric acid. 2g in 1L gives me about pH 2. Actually, I am forgetting that you dilute the stuff afterwards.

There's a bit of a disconnect for me re hydrogen peroxide. My mum always used to use it as a mouthwash and I always thought it was a bacteriocide and its use in sanitizers seems to back that up.

Sodium percarbonate can release up to 15% H2O2 (IIRC) into solution yet it is not listed as a sanitizer. I also found some links on pubmed which listed H2O2 as a fungicide and mildly bacteriocidal.

If there are any people on the board qualified to straighten me out, please do so.

sosman said:
I take it that is 252mg/L phosphoric acid.
Nope, no typo sos. It may be the DeLaval iodophor referred to in this link, but I'm not sure, as DeLaval make a heap of different iodophor-based sanitisers.

Ross,
I am not taking a dig at your or your supplier. I am concerned though that you are looking to use a sanitiser which for what ever reason is unable to be labelled and sold as food grade.

I respect this forum & put a lot of care & research into anything I post. I spent the whole morning at the Company asking questions & reading his extensive collection of product data safety sheets etc.

Can you find out from him why he cannot sell food grade? Again I will be suprised if he is legally able to sell horticultural grade sanitiser to be used in food preparation areas of a hospital

I listed the details of the Company involved with the contact name & would suggest you maybe contact him direct before passing judgement.

Horticultural Solutions - Wolfgang Strube B.Sc.Agr.(Hort) 07 3206 0037.

We are purely talking a sanitiser here - not medication for your kids.

Ross, What do you think they are using it for in the hospital? Sanitising bed pans maybe or liquid waste before it goes down the drain.
If it is being used in food grade situations, then YES, it is being fed to your kids.

Any chemists,scientists etc on here that would know how much Phosphoric acid and betadine you would need to mix up to make your own Iodophor type sanitiser?

cheers
johnno

Darren,

I think you are getting confused on an issue here -

I never said that HE was supplying the RBH - What I said was that the RBH use this product, obviously (I would have thought) the RBH would need to buy through a food grade acreditted supplier. Likewise Morgans, I'm sure, buy through another supplier. I will ask him out of interest though, next time I speak to him.
Idophor has been discussed at length as used by the dairy industry etc; I doubt they are buying it from ESB for instance.

I apologise to anyone I confused on this issue. I visited the Company & satisfied myself competely to the quality of the product & simply passed on my findings. I made a point of declaring his horticultural status as i beleived, like you, that this was important.

Your warning re his licensing status was a valid one, with which I whole heartedly agree with....

let's get back to brewing... :beer:

Latest posts

Back