Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one "local" pub I've been into which felt like an English pub was The Nags' Head in Glebe. Good beer from St Peter's Brewery too every first Monday of the month (why aren't I there now?). I must write up that place in due course.
All being well I will be in that part of the world the first Monday in February. What brews do they put on, do they have a hand pumped beer?

Thanks Graeme. Waverton's actually my nearest railway station (I live the other side of Brennan Park) and I've already found the bottle shop you mention! I've enjoyed the Murray's Pale Ale they carry. Not felt homesick enough to try the Boddingtons or Old Speckled Hen yet.

hey mate I'm in Willoughby. The best bottle shop I reckon is either Dan Murphy's on Willoughby Road or 1st Choice at Narrenburn. Huge selection of Pommy beers and especially Super Skol if you miss home :D

Because it's the first Friday of the month?? :D

Cheers,
Bud

Umm...yeah... :rolleyes: I meant to say that that the St Peters are on every first Friday of the month!

BribieG, they have three different ones on each month, one at a time on handpump until each runs out. They seem to do the Green Label(?) Lager most months. They had a Christmas Ale last month and an Obama Ale in November which was very drinkable. I think they may be trying stuff out.

hey mate I'm in Willoughby. The best bottle shop I reckon is either Dan Murphy's on Willoughby Road or 1st Choice at Narrenburn. Huge selection of Pommy beers and especially Super Skol if you miss home :D

Done the Dan Murphy's and will try the 1st Choice. Might pass on the tramp lager though, thanks :D

Hey hey

I have been doing K+K brews from basic coopers kits since 2006, not so long ago i almost gave up on home brewing before I met up with my old mate, Lobo to check out his keg setup a year later and I now own that keg setup and am hooked on home brewing. I am still doing K+K brewing but experimenting a lot more with different yeasts and hops etc. Some day.....All Grain!

Cheers
Carty

Welcome aboard matt carty.

yeah Lobo has been a good contributer and great question posed several times.
Keep looking and asking.
This Forum Rock.
Browse and learn all its function to be able to search efficiently.

matti

Hi Everyone.

Well ive just bottled my first batch yesterday, ashamed to say that it was straight out of the kit. Coopers Lager, with Coopers Brewing sugar and the kit yeast - with tap water. It brewed at 24C and im not expecting much at all. In fact im prepared for failure. :)

Ive spent the last few days reading through this forum and have already learnt a LOT! Thanks guys, it's been a steep learning curve and now im planning a trip to Dave's HBS in North Sydney (im in Newtown) one day this week. On my shopping list is:

Bench Capper
Glass bottles & lids
Priming sugar & measuring spoon
Maybe a US-05 yeast
A couple of different varieties of hops finishing pellets
LDME, Maltodextrine, dextrose (still havent got my head around the difference, but im sure they'll help me out @ the shop)

Ive got at home another can of Coopers Lager and a can of Coopers Real Ale. Next batch im going to give the Lager another go but ill be using the yeast, the finishing hops (saag maybe?) and a 50/50 combination of malt/dextrose this time to spot the difference. Also I know to be wary of the temperature this time around so ill try and brew it at 20C.

Cheers

:)

Welcome to all the new guys.

There is an article section which will answer many of your questions. Link is here.
If you can't find the answers in the articles, do a search. If you can't find what your after by searching, then post a question. ;)

Hey Fellas,

Just thought I would do the right thing and say G'day since iv'e joined your most excellent forum and all.

SO....the time has come....the Mrs says "We cant afford for you to keep having 3-4 beers every day".
Now, let it be known that I love my wife dearly.....but coming in-between a man and his beer is bloody DANGEROUS TERRITORY and a thought that sends me into shudders of terror and cold sweats.......(Im not an alcoholic.....Im not an alcoholic.....Im not an alcoholic)

There is only one solution for me to have both, and that is to self support ones needs.......time to crank up the brews!
I'll be buying a Coopers kit to kick it off in early Feb, but have a definite aim to move to AG. (once Ive convinced the wife.....you know...baby steps and all).

This wont the first time I have brewed though (so Im probably a small step in front of a newbie!), about 10 years ago I was making coopers packs with pretty much the can, the tub and sugar wrapped up in a water bed heater and kept under the house.
However, I did have to stop brewing after a while when I would turn up somewhere with what was commonly known as a carton of "What the F*** are you looking at?" (too much sugar I reckon and not enough time to mature.....me and the beer).

So, being 10 years older and with the techniques today....I should be able to knock together something reasonably decent that I can keep both myself and the Mrs happy....I'll keep you posted!

Anyway, I will be lurking around here and picking up the tips and tricks from you all, so thank you all in advance for sharing your experiance and knowledge. It's a valuable resource for us who look up to you.......except if youre wearing shorts!.....then we'll be looking at you and not up you.....no....wait a sec....that didn't come out right....not up you but up at you.......SHUTUP!, you know what I mean!

.....pass me a beer....

Welcome Beer Fingers. You're in for some fun times, and going by your little story there I'd say you're always up for some fun times. Check out the other Adelaide brewers and get yourself around to a brew day.

Hi All,

A few of you have met, (in the internet sense), me already.

I live in The Basin, Melbourne with my darling soon-to-be-wife, even though she rolls her eyes when I call her the "handbrake". She hasn't threatened to leave me yet, but dear God, if she heads to her mother's, St George wouldn't do any good. To quote Basil Fawlty.. ".. have you seen how she makes toast? <mimes breathing on a bit of bread>". Oh.. just to clear it up.. that's the mother in law.. not the missus.

Anyhoo.. same reason as a lot of you I'm sure.. have to economise. I'm learning on kits and bugger it, will hold my head high. I may or may not graduate to something better.. who knows. But if I get to keep my nightly beer or two then all's right with the world. Plus I'm a VB drinker so am apparently, to most, already drinking crap beer so staying on kits for a while won't hurt me.

So g'day.. and thanks for the great reading and damned good advice I've picked up already.

Cheers

Hi Brumby, have read some of your posts already. Last guy said never to come between a man and his beer and I guess you are now appreciating the dangers of coming between a woman and her daughter :lol:

Mate if you enjoy VB then the beauty of this forum is that eventually you will get the knowledge to make a fair copy of it for about 20 cents a glass if that's what you like. Personally I like Melbourne Bitter as a lawnmower beer and slam an icy couple* down after a powerwalk on the surf beach here, and I'm gradually massaging a recipe that's getting me pretty close. You don't have to be a Hoegarden or Leffe or Dunkelweisen fan to be on the forum, brew and drink what you enjoy.

Cheers
Michael :icon_cheers:

*tallies of course

SO....the time has come....the Mrs says "We cant afford for you to keep having 3-4 beers every day".

I'll be buying a Coopers kit to kick it off in early Feb, but have a definite aim to move to AG. (once Ive convinced the wife.....you know...baby steps and all).

hmm i am finally at the stage where my mrs is so sick of bottles collecting aroung the kitchen that she will let me buy a frigerator for the house! i never thought i was gonna get there!

good luck!

I'm not sure if I've posted in here or not already. I've read the latest posts with great enthusiasm thinking 'who the hell lets their MRS decide what they can or can't buy!'

then I came to the realization that I spent 42 dollars at Dan Murphy's on random beers tonight and she said 'That should of gone on something for the house'

I've probably annoyed more of you than made friends, asking dumb n00b questions. But I'm 25, work at Optus doing mobile phone & internet technical support, also do network engineer work on the side.

Will generally help out any and all of you free. If you have Optus products, PM and I'll give you my direct line or I can call you to fix any issues you might ever have. If you're in Sydney, any PC related stuff I'll do for a stubbie of your finest brew!

I'm into motorcycles, I've got a bit of a beer gut and am proud of it ;)

Hi all,
been away for the last 6 months.
Good to be back on the computer thats now wireless in the brew garage, sampling last years home harvest ale after 6+ months in the keg.
:icon_drool2:
Hi to the new brewers on the forum and the old boys and girls.
cheers
Luke

Gday all,
just been helping a mate do a grain brew up here in Gladstone, had a good laugh and enjoyed a brew or two along the way, first time I have tried Grain except for Grumpys kits..... Looking forward to getting into it myself.

Cheers, Chris

'spose I ought to post a g'day.

Was directed here by Warm Beer when I told him I'd managed to acquire a homebrew kit. I'd been meaning to try it, but wasn't sure if I'd get into it or not, and was thus hesitant to put up for the initial outlay. Well, my brother did put up an initial outlay, then decided he wasn't into it so I got his hand-me-downs for nothing :)

Already polished off my first (I was very surprised at how well it turned out), just bottled my second (very promising out of the fermenter), and about to dive in headfirst and do an all extract tomorrow. Got all the gear sanitising as we speak :)

So far the site has been a wealth of information. Some of it incrediby helpful, some still a little over my head. But that's ok, cause the learning is half the fun!

Welcome aboard Zebba. Good work on taking on a extract brew for your third brew. Good to hear the ward sanitizing as it is paramount to good brewing. Don't worry about a lot of info going over your head as it will all come to you. Keep reading and ask questions.

Learning is half the fun, repeated scientific testing is the other half. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Gavo.

Gday all,
just been helping a mate do a grain brew up here in Gladstone, had a good laugh and enjoyed a brew or two along the way, first time I have tried Grain except for Grumpys kits..... Looking forward to getting into it myself.

Cheers, Chris
And it was great to have your help today Chris! Pitching the yeast shortly.

The irony here is that Chris is the bloke who got me back into brewing after my 20 year hiatus, and now I'm showing him how to AG brew (talk about the blind leading the blind!) :)

Cheers,
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back