Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to AHB guys hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

Hey Batz notice how the membership went up once i put the big arm away. ;)

Cheers
Big D

Hi Chimera and halminator,

Welcome, I have only been here for a little while and love it. so many knowledgable and helpfull souls its fantastic.
Ag is the best, but all is good and if you want the misses to really accept it buy a lounge suit with the money you saved from making hb (worked for me ;) ), I guess any furniture would do, just bring it up whenever they use it.

Cheers

Hello Brew Buddies

From a young age I helped my dad make beer. He had been making it siince the 60's when it was highly illegal (because the govt hadn't worked out how to tax it). Thus he had all the skills required for AG brewing. By the time I was big enough to sterilise a bottle the "Brewer's Own" kits were on the market so he was happy to forgoe the years of hard work and literally just add sugar and yeast to the 23-litre bladder of unconcentrated wort. Quite a pity in hindsight as I never got to learn his mashing skills. We brewed in a plastic garbage bin witha tea-towel over the top and siphoned the beer into bottles using a contraption made from a motorcycle fuel-line and fuel-tap (he was a small-engine mechanic).

By the time I started uni conentrated worts had hit the market in a small way and I made lots of Chimera's "falling down water", which still tasted better than CUB products. After joining the workforce I figured I could afford not to have to make my own any more.

Thanks to a period "between jobs" I started brewing again at the turn of the century and was amazed at the variety of worts, extracts, yeasts and hopping products available. I quickly added a second fermenter, went on crazed crown-seal bottle hunts and was soon drinking the no-expense-spared Century Stout (my 100th brew).

... then I moved house and the brewing stopped for a variety of reasons. Largely due to a recent "whitegoods rationalisation" (the washer/dryer combo is a beautiful thing for Melburnians) I found the room in the laundry to start brewing again. This time I have a very willing apprentice, who doubles as a wonderful girfriend during periods of primary fermentation. So I have started her off easy so that she can see the simple science. I will soon introduce her to the mini-mash concept and eventually join a brewing club with portable mash tun.

In our first month we have made:
a Cooper's Cerveza w/ Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, SAF lager yeast and half a lime (in the fermenter);
a Cooper's Bavarian Lager w/ Coopers Brew Enhancer 1; and
a Cooper's Ginger beer, which I'm very keen to try as this wasn't around when I ceased brewing a couple of years ago.

Having just obtained and second fermenter with an immersion heater (I broke one in the move and the other had an inbuilt grommit that perished) - I can now start using ale yeasts. It's just a pity that the nearest HBS is 30 minutes away (thus the apparent supermarket-friendly Cooper's brand-loyalty).

I'm looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labour with her.

G'day

I've loved beer from age 16, and only recently (at age 18) have I begun to appeciate finer beer (such as Coopers Pale Ale; love the stuff). One day, a mate somehow remembered a homebrew kit his family had lying around, and so we began to fantasize about having 2.5 cartons of beer for less than half the price of one carton. We were sold, and so the Secks Brewing Co. (a selective mix of our two surames) was formed.

Our first brew was not quite on target. A Coopers Pale Ale can was mixed with 1kg of brewing sugar and 1kg brew enhancer 2, and a teabag of brewiser cascade hops thrown in, all in an excited rush by my mate. We were to slightly regret the hops. After bottling in PET and a few glass bottles with the help of nother mate, we waited a torturingly long month to crack her open. And crack her open we did. Much beer was consumed on the night of State Of Origin III (which lead me to remember little of the night :rolleyes: ). The brew was satisfactory, and unbeknownst to us at the time, very potent. However, we were to discover that (thanks to our other mate's bottling efforts), many of the PET bottles had not been sealed correctly :angry: . We've learned from the experience. Our recent second effort fell on Cooper's Cerveza, together with Amarillo hops, brew enhancer 2, and 1kg of brewing sugar (which we were to later learn we shouldn't have done). She's currently bottled and maturing before we crack her out in a month's time.

While my current efforts are small scale, I hope to some day move to all grain and top equipment. In the meantime, I'm relatively happy kit brewing untill I learn enough to make the big jump to AG. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the goldmine of knowledge in these forums

Hello all,
Just found this forum, and i'll be spending the next few weeks at work reading and digesting a lot of info im sure.

I've been kit brewing for a couple of years with some old equipment the father in law gave me. Ive now got 2 fermenters on the go keeping my bottle collection full! I've made quite a few of the kits, i've tried pretty much everything the supermarket has to offer. Coopers pale ale is my favourite, but only when it's on special! ha ha. As you can tell im a fan of keeping costs to an absolute minimum, so im not really interested in kegging or taking it much further than the kit brewing im doing now. Its great fun experimenting with different fermentables etc. i've made a few crook brews along the way but soon worked out where i was going wrong.

Im in Nowra on the south coast of NSW.

hey AHBers
almost 3000 members! surely that's enough to start something bizarre.
go 1/3000ths in on a Lamborghini and every 3000th day, it's yours :)
The AHB political party - dole recipients have to brew for the elderly and disabled.
One massive bulk buy! - 3000 fermenter taps please, can I get them individually gift wrapped?
Maybe we could have a bi-annual piss-up/brew fest somewhere nice. Book out a town and brew and drink the place down.

Welcome Brownie and I know who took your name...Brownie did :lol:

Seriously, this place is great, you'll love it :beer:

PZ.

Hiya,

gavor from Brisbane here. I'm a newbie brewer in love with all the beer styles of the world, though I've had my fair share of crappy beers too.

So far I've made 3 extract beers. 2 lagers and a pale ale. The first lager wasn't too bad for a first go and I found myself enjoying it over commercially made chugging beers like XXXX.

Unfortunately my second lager is a bit rubbish. I did practically everything wrong, short of it getting an infection, and as a result the beer is fruity, watery and under-carbonated. Sigh.

The PA looked and tasted good, though young, when I bottled it. Fingers crossed.

Now to plan how I can rid myself of these bad beers.

I have two cans of extract in the cupboard ready for brew #4...so where is the best place in the forum to ask for suggestions? I'm prepared now to try something slightly more difficult.

Sorry, I always type a lot :)

g

hey there gavor, welcome aboard.

if you are looking for a suggestion for what to brew with your tins of goo, try a post in the recipe section. Maybe tell us what type of beers you like while you are at it. You should get a response or two.

Maybe we could have a bi-annual piss-up/brew fest somewhere nice. Book out a town and brew and drink the place down.

Now your talking, if you've ever attended a case swap this would appeal. Like the annual Harley Davidson Rally in the town of Sturgis in the US. We could all gather in some centrally located town, bringing kegs of brew and recipes to share. Bet the publicans would you do their damnest to have it banned.

We could all gather in some centrally located town, bringing kegs of brew and recipes to share.

So alice springs it is then,We could set up a tent city in the Todd river :chug:

Does anyone from the hills want to volunteer to be designated driver? Doc? Duff?

I need a lift to the Todd.

Does anyone from the hills want to volunteer to be designated driver? Doc? Duff?

I need a lift to the Todd.

Bugger driving. I'll be flying.

Doc

Welcome to all the new members.
The Alice hey? reasonably closeish to me and i wonder if the tv show the Alice? still has the baa bar around.Looked ok in the show. ;) :blink:

Cheers
Big D

Your welcome to carry the kegs up top of Uluru Coodgee.Too bloody high for for me thanks.

Hiya,

gavor from Brisbane here. I'm a newbie brewer in love with all the beer styles of the world, though I've had my fair share of crappy beers too.

So far I've made 3 extract beers. 2 lagers and a pale ale. The first lager wasn't too bad for a first go and I found myself enjoying it over commercially made chugging beers like XXXX.

Unfortunately my second lager is a bit rubbish. I did practically everything wrong, short of it getting an infection, and as a result the beer is fruity, watery and under-carbonated. Sigh.

The PA looked and tasted good, though young, when I bottled it. Fingers crossed.

Now to plan how I can rid myself of these bad beers.

I have two cans of extract in the cupboard ready for brew #4...so where is the best place in the forum to ask for suggestions? I'm prepared now to try something slightly more difficult.

Sorry, I always type a lot :)

g

Try searching the site by the name of the can of goop you have. It works for me. There is lots of experience out there.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back