Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Have been doing K & Ks on and off for a few years now, but with the retirement of my father and his burgeoning interest in home brewing and his willingness to provide TLC for brews and washing of bottles, I've been doing a lot more.
Thanks to PostModern's help (among others) over in another forum's homebrewing threads, I've really had my eyes opened to what an interesting thing homebrewing is.
So far, since this renewed interest in brewing, I've had to sit and look at the clearest ale I've ever made while waiting for it to mature in the bottle, and am doing similar with a lager except it's not in the bottle yet, it's still in the plastic jerry cans in the fridge lagering. I almost hope they don't turn out too well so that I don't have to wait so damn long for future brews. Just joking.

I suppose partial mash is next up, then finally to AG.

I haven`t put down a brew for over 10 years, but recently carted one back from Aus and have it bubbling away happily in the shed now.

Thurgs, yokosou!

Just to let you know that you are not the only Aussie homebrewer in the Kanto region. There is also a bit of a Japanese homebrewing crowd with the center of activity actually being in Chiba (Yukarigaoka). You can buy brewing stuff here you know, off the web, but it is not cheap. Can work out the same or cheaper to import driectly from the States or Aus. No matter which way you go, we have to cop a slug for freight. PM or email me if you want to know more. I work/live in Tokyo.
stlaceyatgmail.com

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I may pick your brain in the future.Especially regarding temperature control e.t.c.

Chris.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My Name is Herby/Chris and I am 23 Years old.

Relatively new to brewing, but love everything about it.

I have only done kit brewing thus far, but am very keen to try out as many different methods as possible and would love the help and advice on the way

I live in Brisbane, Sunny Qld and am keen for swapping and meetings so if there is an AHB base up here let me know.

Particularly enjoy Belgian and Irish Beers such as Hoegaarden (My Fav, and fantastic off tap) and Kilkenny.

Cheers Guys

Hello Herbs and welcome,
You will be happy to know there is a strong following on AHB up here in Brissie. As a matter of fact there are 15 of us meeting up at a fellow AHBer's place in Caloundra for a swap and a night of festivities. Also, in August we are getting together for a beer tasting in Brisbane. have a look at the AHB meetings section of the forum for all the details. If you are interested in AG you will have no problem in attending a demo.

cheers

Browndog

Cheers B-Dog!

Look forward to meeting some fellow brewers! :)

HI All

My name is Ben, im 25 years old

I have been brewing for about 9 months. Started with the coopers range, moved to quality ingredients and saf yeasts which made a huge difference. Got into kegging about 3 months ago and havent looked back.

Currently in the process of building a herms mashing system so I can move into all grain brewing. I will post some pics when its all completed. Im currently waiting on stainless threads to be weelded into what once were kegs. Then to screw everything together and build a stand.

Is there anywhere where you can go and watch someone make an all grain brew and teach you how to get started?

..... Good point Ross, I am in Eltham Victoria

Is there anywhere where you can go and watch someone make an all grain brew and teach you how to get started?

Welcome Benno,

If you fill in your location in your details, you stand a good chance of someone local offering help.

cheers.. Ross

Hi, my names is Chris.

I have been brewing for 2.5 years. Im 25, I am a boilermaker by trade but am now third year engineering at uni. I started brewing to save money and then got hooked and started doing ag 18 months ago and then kegging 6 months ago, but Im always learning about new beers styles and how to improve my brewing.

Im currently working on a keg boiler and brewstand as the misses is sick of hot break burnt onto the stove (and Im sick of using two pots for boil).

so far I have been lurking and using the search function, but am looking forward to joining in, so hi everyone.

Cheers

Chris

Nice to have you onboard Chris youll definately learn alot here

Howdy all.
Been on here a while but never introduced myself.
I started around 10 years ago as a poor apprentice brewing K+K's. Had about 8 years off due various reasons, and started again 2 years ago, on and off. Now really back into it.
Bought a keg system a month ago, really loving not washing bottles etc..
Got a few kits to finish then i'll be either extract brewing or going the whole hog- AG. Haven't decided which yet.
Looking forward to gathering more ideas from you all, would like to hear from others around Mackay way.
Cheers

Hello all,

My name is Nat and I live on the Central Coast of NSW. I work as a teacher of Plumbing at the local Tafe college.
I have been making spirits for a while now. I built my own stainless steel reflux still and get on average 92% alcohol, cut back to 40% then filter thru activated carbon to remove the headache, mix with my favourite Ambrosia Scotch Whiskey essence (sigh) serve on ice, beautiful.

But I must admit my first love is BEER!
I started making crap home brew about 10 years ago and lost interest.
A couple of weeks ago, while on holidays in Nelson Bay, I walked into the local HBS and while browsing was offered a glass of his finest brew. I liked what I tasted and asked him how he made it and was surprised. Anyway brought the K&K went home dusted off the old equipment and put it down. Now I am drinking my own I cannot stop thinking about what I am going to brew next and next, oh and next.

Its been informative reading your forums, the information is limitless and priceless. Its very easy to find yourself drowning in information. The airlocked links are a great tool for newbies. You all must be congratulated.

I look forward to becoming a helpful participant in the forums.

Anyway cheers for now,

Brewski.

Welcome to the site guys.Hope you enjoy it.
There goes my old avatar as i see its now in use by brewski. :p thought it was me posting there for a sec.

Cheers
Big D

Welcome to our madness all you newb's. The beer bug has been busy.

Welcome to the site guys.Hope you enjoy it.
There goes my old avatar as i see its now in use by brewski. :p thought it was me posting there for a sec.

Cheers
Big D

I'll say this Big D that you have had an assortment of avatars :D
I recon you have gone from one extreme to the other when you changed from the "beer" to the current one.
Only a Mother could love that face :lol: :lol:

I'd like to say welcome to all the new faces as well and wish them good brewing.

cheers

Welcome all from me as well,you'll find this a great site with many helpful brewers
Some slightly batty

BigD I remember your first one with the big arm,scared a lot of us off :lol:

Batz

Hello all
My brewing history is rather brief; a good meaning mate of mine started brewing some years back. Believing all his piss swilling mates would give him grief thinking he was a tight arse and couldnt afford the 'real stuff' he kept it secret. After some dozen quite successful brews he found the confidence to offer me one of his finest. From the first sip of his homebrew I was stunned and awed, it was beer, but not a stale smelling piss coloured Aussie bitter, but a smooth sweet floral European lager.
On that day I believe I discovered beer, not the bland local commerical fare but the true amber nectar. I had my first real glimpse into why beer is such an ancient and revered brew, and I liked it! Since that day I've been trying every different import & style I could find, relishing in the variety.

But still, this alone wasn't enough - I knew straight away I had to make my own! I had back in my uni days made some rather bad falling down water, but this time around i think the calling was different.

Ive been working hard at it now for almost a year, brewing anything i can find, and am always looking forwards to my next batch and how I can improve my beer.
My brewery is a very modest affair, as yet i haven't spent much on equipment, although in time I hope to replace longnecks with bowsers and my 1.7Kg cans with malted barley. The missus is being very 'understanding', but money is precious and besides, Im saving for my trip next year where I plan to tour many of the countries and drink the good drop straight from the source.

Keep it real AHB, even if you dont hear from me much, Im here, lurking in the shadows, watching, learning.. always learning! :beer:

Welcome Chimera :D your a poet, you WILL make great beer, just read on :p and it's quick slide from there.

G'day all,

Have been lurking in the background for a few months and thought it about time I stepped up and introduced myself. The good wife bought me a coopers micro brewery for my birthday about 2 months ago and it doesn't seem as though it's been empty since.

Since then, with the help of a few more fermenters I have thrown together 6 brews starting with a standard K & K and moving along to extracts and partials. Keen now to start looking into full AG but want to develop my tastes and style a bit first. Not really knowing what I was doing when I started, with the help of the search function I have learnt an enormous amount from this website and know I have sooooo much more to learn. The best part about it is that I am still keen to try different recipes and not afraid to experiment and try things that I haven't drunk before. As for trying to clone a particular beer, I'm happy enough to find a recipe close enough to the real thing and be happy with that. If I want the real thing I;ll go out and buy it.

As for the inevitable beer gut, I've found that I actually now enjoy jogging to and from work. At 5km each way I've found that the old gut is staying put despite the amount of fluid I now seem to pumping into it!

Thanks, and hope to post more soon.

Hal.

Welcome Chimera :D your a poet, you WILL make great beer, just read on :p and it's quick slide from there.

Great "Mythological" Name as well,That creature would look good on a beer label!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back