Interupting fermenting process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reardo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I currently have a Black Rock Golden Ale, with 1kg #10 booster, brewing in a controlled environment (in kegerator) set at 19deg. I started this on Sunday and yesterday i noticed it was slowly bubbling in the airlock slowly, but it was happening. When I pitched the yeast (yeast from the 1.7kg tin) I just sprinkled it on top, and didn’t stir it in (as suggested on the tin).
Would it have stopped now because i didnt stir the yeast it? Could i take the lid off and give it a stir to possibly get it going again? If not, why else would it stop and how do i get it started again?

I stuffed up my last brew by brewing it at a too high temp, so i'm hoping this one wont be stuffed too.

Any advise is appreciated.

Reardo.

Leave it a little while longer mate. The airlock isn't a surefire sign that it is, or isn't working. If you did gravity readings, take a sample and check if it's dropped any points, and do the same in a couple more days if you're concerned. You can give the FV a swirl if you want which arguably helps rouse the yeast, but I wouldn't go opening the FV up unless I absolutely had to for some reason (dry hopping etc) for fear of inviting nasties in.

you dont need to stir the yeast in... Dont take the lid off....

onloy way to confirm fermentation is take a gravity reading.

Thanks guys. Just took a gravity reading at it says 1.026, so id imagine there is a fair way to go. it started at 1.042 - so just keep on keeping on you think?

Your controlled environment; are you controlling the temp of the environment, or the wort/beer?

I.e. what are you measuring, and how are you controlling it?

I have a temp controller on top of my kegerator, and the probe taped to the wall in my kegerator. I have a heater belt sitting over the top of the fermenter, so I suppose the environment is controlled and not the actual wort. The temp sticker on the fermenter highlights between 18-20 also. i checked it again this morning and the temp on the controller said 20, and again, the airlock wasnt moving.

reardo said:
The temp sticker on the fermenter highlights between 18-20
Be happy that you can at least read the temp sticker on the fermenter!
Every temp sticker I have had has been near impossible to read and I've just given up on them. I now rely totally on my FridgeMate for my temps!

Checked the reading an hour ago and it says 1.022, so it seems to be still working.

Patience is the key by the looks of it....

Finished at 1.012. Im hoping that should be enough. Smells ok. Kegged last night and will give it a crack on Saturday me thinks! Question, is 40psi for 48 hours too much pressure to carbonate at? I can never seem to get this right. I have the keg in the fridge chilling at the same time...

I usually go for 30psi turn gas off but leave connected and Rock it for 90 seconds giving it a blast when the pressure drops, if you force carb it you can the leave it at 15psi for a couple of days and it will pour like a dream (then drop to 10psi).. At least my system does anyway..

If you do a search for the "Ross method" shouldn't take long to dig the video up that shows how it's done

Thanks Yob. This morning i dropped it to 35psi before heading to work. Ill be home in about 4 hours so do you think i should start the 'ross method' from then (or could this make it overcarbonated), or test it out as is, then if it's not carbonated enough, should i leave it be for another 24 hours? Sorry to be a PITA

Back