Input on a Mosaic and Cascade Pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
Looking at putting the following recipe down soon. Itll hopefully be the makings of my house beer.

0.25kg crystal
0.2kg carapils
2kg LDM
0.5kg Dextrose
20g Mosaic 10g cascade @60min
20g cascade @ 30min
10g cascade + 10g mosaic @ 10min
10g cascade + 10g mosaic @ flame out.
US05 yeast
Dry Hop 15g cascade and 10g mosaic at day 5.
Approx 5.2%
IBUs 40.
Just wanna see any input. But follow these reasoning as to why.
Extract with grain brewer.
Simple and tasty brew that will be a regular.
I like this hop pairing.
1st time picking timings for my brew.
Dextrose to bump alc% and dry it up a little.
Cheers all. Gope your brews are coming along well

I would be basically putting all hops in at flameout and using as much mosaic as possible to hit tour IBU target, and adding cascade to taste.

I would also get some wheat in there and cut out the carapils. Also try to use a very light crystal.

GalBrew said:
I would be basically putting all hops in at flameout and using as much mosaic as possible to hit tour IBU target, and adding cascade to taste.

I would also get some wheat in there and cut out the carapils. Also try to use a very light crystal.
Ok will do and refresh that list. I forgot about wheat. I may sub 500g of LDM for it.

I received advice from a brewery that uses these exact hops and they reckon 50% IBU at first wort and 60, then the rest at 5min, flameout and big dry hop.

BKBrews said:
I received advice from a brewery that uses these exact hops and they reckon 50% IBU at first wort and 60, then the rest at 5min, flameout and big dry hop.
ok ta. May i ask what you or anyone else would consider a big dry hop would be? Like 50g?100g?
Cheers

I just did a similar thing
10 grams of both @10 mins
then 10grams of each @ 0 mins

In the fermenter now
I did the same with galaxy last brew very nice!

Dont waste mosaic on a 60 min bittering addition if possible. What other hops do you have? Consider a clean bitterimg high alpha hop like magnum to replace otherwise you're wasting good flavour and aroma.

IsonAd said:
Dont waste mosaic on a 60 min bittering addition if possible. What other hops do you have? Consider a clean bitterimg high alpha hop like magnum to replace otherwise you're wasting good flavour and aroma.
I'm drinking my second keg of the last batch I did this with, magnum is one of my favourite bittering hops and it plays very nicely with mosaic.

Most I've used is 12.5g/L for a black IPA. It was amazing.
That hurts my inventory thoughts. But I do have hop binge fetishes as well.
I recommend taking a liking to fresh beer, green beer. That's when I get hop overload.
Then it settles and mellows over time.

mstrelan said:
Most I've used is 12.5g/L for a black IPA. It was amazing.
I've done just over 500g in 20L of barley wine. The result was great, but a lot of beer was lost to hop sludge. There has to be a better way of getting all that hop punch into the beer without losing it. Maybe a centrifuge. :eek:

peteru said:
I've done just over 500g in 20L of barley wine. The result was great, but a lot of beer was lost to hop sludge. There has to be a better way of getting all that hop punch into the beer without losing it. Maybe a centrifuge. :eek:
hop shots... see yob :ph34r:

malt junkie said:
hop shots... see yob :ph34r:
I had the whole collection 2x, plus some extras. Still have a few syringes left. But it's not the same as the entire hop.

peteru said:
I had the whole collection 2x, plus some extras. Still have a few syringes left. But it's not the same as the entire hop.
I agree. I don't really like flavour extracts, although aroma extract isn't too bad.

malt junkie said:
3g/L or more
Apologies in advance for going off topic but when people talk about g/L, are they referring to total hop quantity or a per hop quantity?

Tony121 said:
Apologies in advance for going off topic but when people talk about g/L, are they referring to total hop quantity or a per hop quantity?
1 gm of hops = 1 ltr of beer .

Sorry, to clarify I meant is it say 3g/L total for mosaic and cascade hops, or 3g/L for each hop, therefore equaling 6g/L total?

Latest posts

Back