Inner Sydney Brewers Next Meet Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Options

• Black Olive, 23rd September

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Group Brew, 23rd September

• Black Olive, 30th September(Long w/end)

• Group Brew, 30th September(Long w/end

• Other

• Total voters
Coolo - yeah FWH would be good, maybe FWH with 5g of each hop! Don't think that pilsner/pale will make much diff so that's cool. I'll order the vienna from Gerard. Can somebody help with some amarillo (i have about 40g), simcoe (only 10g) and cascade (sweet FA) hops or should we organise to buy some from Ross?

What does everyone think about the choice of recipes: are we doing the hopburst or the wheat?

Both? :lol: :chug:

I have some cascade and some (2004) Ahtanum. Don't have any of the other hops I'm afraid.

Hmm... both would depend on numbers i reckon, needs lots of kit to do that! We could sub the Simcoe for the Ahtanum but i think you're already contributing enough mate!

Can help with the Cascade.

How much do you need?

About 60-70g would be needed for a double, half that if we decide to to a single. Let's work out numbers after a couple of days and then go from there to work out what we're doing.

Hmm i might start another poll : )

Hi guys,

I'm keen for a brewday. The 23rd works best for me as we're usually away on long weekends. As I mentioned in the group email a few days back, I have some gear (HLT, tun, boiler, gas bottle & HP burner) that I'm happy to loan.

Whilst I'd love to be there, DJR, what is the kid situ like? As I'm Mr Mum on Saturdays with 2 under 10's in tow. Other brewers siblings to keep them from nagging me too much would be nice

What time were you thinking about kicking off?

If possible, I'd like to put in for grain /whatever & grab a cube. B)

Both recipes sound interesting. Is the wheat recipe for something like a Redback? ie an easy summer quaffer? What other yeasts could you use for the wheat? I don't have the WPL340 or any other wheat yeasts for that matter....

A mate & i have recently been splitting a batch & 1 of us uses a lager yeast & the other uses an ale. I reckon both brews suggested would turn out nice with Czech Budjuvice yeast & a good lager period. :super:

Stu - don't forget your immersion coil ;)

beers

Crozdog

Sounds really good the only brewing experience I have had is by myself and a mate who has a fairly good idea. Only kit / partial brews at the moment so it will be a huge learning curve for me.

BTW - I am located at Windsor so I will definatly be driving

As long as you don't bring your cat. :lol:

I reckon lots of yeasts would work fine. US56 would be good. Lager yeast might be good too. If crozdog is coming, we can do biiiig batches. :super:

Hi guys,

I'm keen for a brewday. The 23rd works best for me as we're usually away on long weekends. As I mentioned in the group email a few days back, I have some gear (HLT, tun, boiler, gas bottle & HP burner) that I'm happy to loan.

Whilst I'd love to be there, DJR, what is the kid situ like? As I'm Mr Mum on Saturdays with 2 under 10's in tow. Other brewers siblings to keep them from nagging me too much would be nice

What time were you thinking about kicking off?

If possible, I'd like to put in for grain /whatever & grab a cube. B)

Both recipes sound interesting. Is the wheat recipe for something like a Redback? ie an easy summer quaffer? What other yeasts could you use for the wheat? I don't have the WPL340 or any other wheat yeasts for that matter....

A mate & i have recently been splitting a batch & 1 of us uses a lager yeast & the other uses an ale. I reckon both brews suggested would turn out nice with Czech Budjuvice yeast & a good lager period. :super:

beers

Crozdog

Lots of questions there Philip...

Gear on offer is good, i have some reservations about siphoning from the kettle but the 100L jobbie would be good. Another burner and gas bottle would be a great help.

Hadn't really thought about having kids present, my place isn't that big so not sure how we'd go with that, nobody's really mentioned bringing them along as yet, let's see how many people are coming since there are a few silent voters so far. I don't mean to discourage the idea at all, would all be cool, but let's see if the day's going to be a busy one if you know what i mean. Kickoff would be about 12-1pm but if people are bringing round equipment then maybe a 11.30 kickoff would be good so we're not going too late after setting up the kit.

Wheat recipe would be similar to Redback i guess, a smooth not too german wheat beer, a good summer quaffer. The APA would be a bit harder both on taste and alcohol, but would still make a good summer beer. Stu has already offered the use of his vial of WLP320. A split batch with a lager yeast sounds good but it won't be me doing the ferm/lagering as there's not much space in the fridge (enough space for everyone's HB on the day though). I have some WLP802 that i can step up and give a starter to whoever wants to use it - or if they are really crazy i have a Belgian yeast!

We now have enough offers to take home fresh wort kits that we might even consider doing a quad batch! :super:

Im interested, as 23sep is free & Stanmore is easy for me to get to. A cube o wort would be nice, but sounds like a large queue ahead of me :) I could bring some hops or dropoff some grain if needed.

cheers

I'm happy to bring and take a cube home (I bought two for the purpose a few weeks back and both are currently unused).
I should have temp control fermenting up by then too.

The offer to host at my place even on the 23rd is still there, particularly if a barby after the brew is the preferred option. I've got plenty of room with a pergola and garage out the back of my place. Otherwise DJR's is no problem.

I could pick you up DC as well if transport is a hassle.

Gavin

Might have to take up your offer - looks like i won't be able to make it a late-ish one at mine since i have a concert to go to!

Hope that doesn't screw anyone up, Gavin's place sounds like it's bigger than mine anyway so it's probably better for everyone.

Myself and Stu are sorting out the recipe at the moment - if you are interested they are both in the recipes page and will be updated there. If anyone has any input, please let us know. One of the changes might be to drop the Vienna in the Hopburst and go with something a little different.

Can help with the Cascade.

How much do you need?

About 60-70g would be needed for a double, half that if we decide to to a single. Let's work out numbers after a couple of days and then go from there to work out what we're doing.

Hmm i might start another poll : )

No dramas that amounts fine, consider it done.

Gavin

Might have to take up your offer - looks like i won't be able to make it a late-ish one at mine since i have a concert to go to!

Hope that doesn't screw anyone up, Gavin's place sounds like it's bigger than mine anyway so it's probably better for everyone.

The wife saw your email last night Ben before I did and stated to arc up :eek: but she's been put back in her place and we are good to go at my place on the 23rd!!!!!! :beer:

I'm happy to bring and take a cube home (I bought two for the purpose a few weeks back and both are currently unused).
I should have temp control fermenting up by then too.

The offer to host at my place even on the 23rd is still there, particularly if a barby after the brew is the preferred option. I've got plenty of room with a pergola and garage out the back of my place. Otherwise DJR's is no problem.

I could pick you up DC as well if transport is a hassle.

Hey buddy.

Since as your covering the venue is the offer of transport still open if you have errands or such to run in the morning?

Cheers.

For those that haven't met me yet I live in Earlwood. It's not brilliant for train transport but I have walked in from Turella Station before, it's about a 15 min. walk.
Better option is the 423 Bus Route City to Kingsgrove which comes through Earlwood which you could link up with Newtown or Marrickville Stations.

What about the 472 bus from Rockdale or ashfield(going opposite ways ofcourse) are you near that route at all?

Stuart, does that also mean I should leave the trampoline @ home? :unsure:

Crozdog

The Abfalter backyard comes complete with trampoline. I'm struggling to comprehend how it may be involved in the process however. Perhaps with the correct footwear some sort of stomping process could be used to crack grain!!!!

Can bring some Amarillo and was going to bring a gas bottle along with the NASA. ANything else? Just ask.

Got some Warrior hops I can donate as well

Can bring some Amarillo and was going to bring a gas bottle along with the NASA. ANything else? Just ask.

Got some Warrior hops I can donate as well

Aha Mike i wondered where you had got to! I can bring about 35g of Amarillo but we need about 100g, 130-150 if we decide to scale up a bit more.

Don't know about the Warrior after i tried that APA!

Btw Ben, do you have more cascade, looks like we'll need more like 100g or 150g depending on final numbers of people taking a cube away.

I reckon whoever wants a cube chucks in whatever proportion of the material cost that cube represents. Could anyone who wants to take home a cube either PM or email me and i'll keep track of who's getting what so we can offset the purchase costs amongst the people bringing the ingredients and gear. Not everyone will get one though so first in best dressed, unless of course you bring ingredients or gear. Should cost about the $15-25 mark (in my very rough calcs) for each 15L cube that will probably be the same deal as the ESB wort kits - add 5L of boiled/distilled/spring water for 20L of wort. I already have dibs on one of the Hopburst cubes, going to ferment it with a Kolsch yeast :)

And remember everybody, it's the group's choice as to what we brew so if there is any feedback at all on the recipe then let me or Stuster know.

Back