Inner Sydney Brewers Next Meet Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Options

• Black Olive, 23rd September

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Group Brew, 23rd September

• Black Olive, 30th September(Long w/end)

• Group Brew, 30th September(Long w/end

• Other

• Total voters
Oh yeah Drew I hear ya. Latest APA came out so well I start thinking about pouring one and sinking it after lunch most days this week.

I'm sure of what I've been asked to bring. If theres anything else just say so, but theres been no response on whether you guys want to use my chiller.
I've got a CFWC but could probably get an immersion chiller for the day if preffered.

Drew

Thanks for clarfiying it for everyone , i thought i had but obviously i didn't reading back a bit! Whoops... And yeah the recipes and equipment are pretty much all finalised bar some minor changes in the leadup.

Mike

Don't know about the chiller yet - i reckon it can't hurt to bring it as at least Gavin will be able to pitch on the day. Otherwise everyone's getting steaming hot wort straight into a cube.

P.S. i have put the day into the AHB calendar since i worked out how to do it :)

For me chilled would be better have got a 12litre container for the day so that will be how much wort I am taking do we pitch the yeast direct once added to our fermentors or do we need to top up.

Cheers.

For me chilled would be better have got a 12litre container for the day so that will be how much wort I am taking do we pitch the yeast direct once added to our fermentors or do we need to top up.

Cheers.

Topping up should be done, it will be about a 4:3 dilution, ie. for 15 litres, add 5 litres then pitch. For 12 it would be 4 litres giving you 16L. Otherwise no problem, you'll just end up with a stronger, more bitter beer.

If you're chilling on the day, make sure you bring some steriliser as that container will have to be REALLY clean, even if you're going to pitch on the day the chance of spoilage is high with cooled wort.

I reckon it'll be great if we run some no-chill wort off into cubes and some then have the chilled wort. Though not a real experiment with all the other differences with the fermentation, it'll be interesting to see how the beers come out in comparison. :super:

Water.

Do you guys want anything special with water. For all my K&K brews I use filtered water which comes from a 3 stage filtration system I've got in my kitchen. I can have about 100 odd litres of filtered water if you want it.

No need to worry with brewing basics. I have iodine etc. I've got a very large brew bag which I've used for steeping & hop boils as well if you need that.

Also I splashed and bough a vial of WLP300 Wiez ale yeast. I'll do about a 3 litre starter on Thurs. night. If anyone wants some of it I can do around 2 600 ml bottles of it, the rest I'll use myself and will go to the fridge.

Gav.

I think filtered water is good if that's easy enough for you. I'll pass on the weizen yeast though as SWMBO hates German wheat beers. :blink: I can give you some American hefeweizen yeast if you like. :rolleyes:

I think filtered water is good if that's easy enough for you. I'll pass on the weizen yeast though as SWMBO hates German wheat beers. :blink: I can give you some American hefeweizen yeast if you like. :rolleyes:

Hi Stuart,

I'n not keen on German hefe's myself, but do like to drink Redback style wheat beers. Does your american hefe yeast produce something similar to a redback? If so, I'd be keen on getting a sample if possible, no dramas if not. I'm planning on using good old US56 for my cube if i can't scrounge anything better.

Crozdog

Off topic for the meet slightly, but eye googling the powells malt bulk it might be an idea to consider a hops or malt bulk buy sometime soon.....

I am already splitting a 500g bag of hops with someone @ this meet, would be a good time to organise such a thing.

DJR let me know if your considering getting any other hops... Imparticular Saaz, Fuggles, POR, Simco, Hallertau and Northdown.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I have glanced at this forum a few times over the last few months. I couldn't see a more suitable post to add this to. I have recently taken to brewing in my flat. This causes a few problems - namely no room for a dedicated beer fridge, brew sculpture, burners and all the semi-industrial equipment required for all grain brewing.

Thus I am progressing via partial mashes and am gearing up to full mashes with more domestic equipment. The difficulty of finding some of what I thought was fairly easily obtainable gear is quite frustrating, thus I thought involving myself with a brewing club would probably be a smart thing. Even just finding a 20l cylindrical water cooler for batch sparging, or steel overbraid to work as the manifold is rediculously time-consuming and expensive for what they are (hint - I still need some basic equip).

I note that you are meeting on 23 Sep, however I am busy on that day. Is anyone planning on a meet on a later date?

Nick

Hi Nick. We'll be having regular (ish) meetings, probably monthly, so you'll be welcome to come along to those.

For your equipment, there's no need to have a round cooler, any cooler will do if you are batch sparging. For braid, just go to Bunnings or such and get a toilet braid. Should be $10 or so, depending on the length. But hopefully you can come along to the next meet and we can answer your questions then. :D

As stuster said , meetings are generally monthly and around the local area , next one will more than likely be over the way of ashfield or balmain as us southerner have had a good run so far but of course thats up to the numbers , so yeah keep an eye on the threads and keep in touch ... all of the guys ive met so far are more than friendly and only too willing to offer advice and assistance ...

if your in need of a fix before that theres always a couple of us up for a thursday night couple of schooners and bull5h1t session somewhere...

Yep, definitely interested. I have a leave pass on Thursday nights so I can get about. I usually hang about the CBD (I work in town) but it is no problem to head out to wherever.

Latest posts

Back