Inner Sydney Brewers Next Meet Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Options

• Black Olive, 23rd September

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Group Brew, 23rd September

• Black Olive, 30th September(Long w/end)

• Group Brew, 30th September(Long w/end

• Other

• Total voters

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
G'day.

This Poll is for people currently attending the Inner Sydney Brewers meetings or who are interested in joining/comming along for the next meet.

The vote shall close Monday the 4th of September.

Its a two pronged poll 1 the date and 2 the venue/activity.

The dates simple enough.

First is 23rd of September or the 30th September(NRL grandfinal((grandfinal is on the sunday)) + Long weekend)

And the choice of activities is either.

A) Black Olive BYO Pizza Cafe @ Earlwood to sample eachothers beers, have a nice meal and talk brewing.

B) A brew day @ stanmore hosted by DJR, were people bring some ingredients or equipment to help with the brew which will then be consumed at future brewers meet, also myself will make a comparision brew doing a partial and we are hopping to find someone to do a kit version to make comparsions on quality.

Cheers all.

PS - I've added other for any other suggestions.

Cheers guys, and if you can just post what you've voted so we have an idea of numbers that would be appreciated, also any idea's ect more than welcome.

Definitely a brew day for me. Should be fun. DJR and I have talked about the brew day and thought either a Hopburst APA or an American wheat. I think we could all do it together and split the wort. Thoughts?

Personally I'd rather just save it for future meets.... I'd be happy to contribute bottles, or we could purchase them, ND brewing sells crown seal 700ml bottles in boxes of 16 for $8, which would only take a small donation from everyone.

Edit: Also I voted for Black Olive, but am easy either way.

Cheers.

But then who is going to ferment/bottle/store the beer? I think it would be fun for several people to ferment the same batch and then we can compare difference from different yeast etc.

True, I would have assumed we would have stored it at DJR's pending his approval.

Thats just IMO my idea so we'll see what everyone wants and go with the mob!

Just say I have to catch a train out to Stanmore though it will be bad enough bringing a few kg's of grain without happening to take back a 5-10 litre jerrycan afterwoulds. - Dont forget not everyone drives(and even drivers may not want to drive if they plan on having a few beers.)

We've gotta consider that not everyone drives as well, unless only set people take it home.

Would like to see a Group Brew Efforts.. Can always fire up a BBQ at the same time and sample some Ales.

Well, unless i get a 50L fermenter (hint hint) i'll be asking at least one other person to take home a cube of wort. Should only be a double batch so i can ferment one and then do the other at another spot (alternatively i'm happy to buy myself a 2nd fermenter :super: ) As for grain transport, Stu has kindly offered to bring the grain so no need for people to transport by train.

Bottles... i'm going to buy some ACI bottles from somewhere (only $16 or so per box of 52), so there will be plenty of 330mL stubbies to put the finished product into, of course if anyone wants to take it home and ferment it there then they can keg the beer.

Talked to the wife last night about running it at mine, should be no issue at all by then (meaning the house should be clean enough not to be embarrasing : ) ) Looks like we have consensus on the brewday being the 23rd (well at least at the moment we do!)

We'll give it til next Monday, as were bound to have a bit of evening plus w/end traffic.

Though yeah at the moment it overwhelmingly looks like brew day is the go. I'll edit my main post to reflect this.

Bit of background on recipe choices here. I think the choices are US Hefeweizen (wheat beer) or a Hopburst APA.

For the US Hefe ("Seppo Heffer") what does everyone think about this:

1.046 OG, 25 IBU (right in the middle of the style guidelines)

for 46L:
5kg JW Export Pils
1kg JW Vienna
3kg JW Wheat

Hops:
20g Hallertauer Taurus 14.5% - 60m - 15IBU (just wanting to use this hop, otherwise some Pride Plus/Simcoe/Northern Brewer or something for bittering)
40g Amarillo 9.4% - 15m - 10IBU for flavour/aroma

Yeast: WLP320 American Wheat

Method: single decoction from 64C to 72C as this can be a decoction demo for people that haven't done it before.

For a hopburst APA, 46L, 1055 OG, 38 IBU:

8kg JW Export Pils
3kg JW Vienna

Hops:

15g Simcoe 12% 60m - 9IBU

Then at 30m, 15m, 5m and flameout add a mix of 15g Simcoe 12%, 15g Amarillo 9.4%, 15g Cascade 6%. Total 4 hop additions of 60g each adding the other 29 IBU. :super:

Yeast: WLP001/1056/US-56 or maybe WLP051 for something different.

Method: Single infusion 66C, unless everyone really wants a decoction, but it won't be to style.

I'm happy to bring and take a cube home (I bought two for the purpose a few weeks back and both are currently unused).
I should have temp control fermenting up by then too.

The offer to host at my place even on the 23rd is still there, particularly if a barby after the brew is the preferred option. I've got plenty of room with a pergola and garage out the back of my place. Otherwise DJR's is no problem.

I could pick you up DC as well if transport is a hassle.

Method: single decoction from 64C to 72C as this can be a decoction demo for people that haven't done it before.

Method: Single infusion 66C, unless everyone really wants a decoction, but it won't be to style.

For the particularly lacking in experience like myself I'm looking forward to these bits very much!!!!! :lol: :lol:

In all likely hood I'll be going with Barramundi, but will let you know if his unavailable cause that would be greatly appreciated, as I know zero about stanmore so finding DJR's could be a pain!

Where abouts are you located just so people have an idea of the choice of locations.

In all likely hood I'll be going with Barramundi, but will let you know if his unavailable cause that would be greatly appreciated, as I know zero about stanmore so finding DJR's could be a pain!

Where abouts are you located just so people have an idea of the choice of locations.

Right near the station - like 2 minutes walk. I don't think there is trackwork and trains come every 1/2 hour.

I'm happy to bring and take a cube home (I bought two for the purpose a few weeks back and both are currently unused).
I should have temp control fermenting up by then too.

The offer to host at my place even on the 23rd is still there, particularly if a barby after the brew is the preferred option. I've got plenty of room with a pergola and garage out the back of my place. Otherwise DJR's is no problem.

I could pick you up DC as well if transport is a hassle.

Heh.. i do have a barby but gas bottles will be in short supply round the place! My place may be easier as it's really close to the station and i already have a bit of kit, but wherever the group decides is cool by me. Place is on trafalgar street if anyone knows stanmore.

Heh.. i do have a barby but gas bottles will be in short supply round the place! My place may be easier as it's really close to the station and i already have a bit of kit, but wherever the group decides is cool by me. Place is on trafalgar street if anyone knows stanmore.

No Sweat, I can bring another gas bottle as well. Oh I am at Earlwood BTW, not the best for trains ~ 15 min. walk/climb from Turrella. I'll drive so I can help with transporting anything from anyone not too far away.

I am hoping to take a cube home too. Will drive to bring stuff. Can bring gas bottle too. I have more pale ale malt than pilsner so maybe we can swap to that for the APA. Should have enough for the wheat. Don't have much Vienna though (at least not that isn't already spoken for).

Recipes look interesting DJR. Vienna is something I haven't used much of. How about FWHing the APA rather than the 60 minute addition?

BBQ sounds good. :super:

Indeed.

I'll be happy to provide a couple of kg's of snags, onions and a few loaves of bread - I'll make that my contribution. - As well as a few beers ofcourse.

I am hoping to take a cube home too. Will drive to bring stuff. Can bring gas bottle too. I have more pale ale malt than pilsner so maybe we can swap to that for the APA. Should have enough for the wheat. Don't have much Vienna though (at least not that isn't already spoken for).

Recipes look interesting DJR. Vienna is something I haven't used much of. How about FWHing the APA rather than the 60 minute addition?

BBQ sounds good. :super:

Coolo - yeah FWH would be good, maybe FWH with 5g of each hop! Don't think that pilsner/pale will make much diff so that's cool. I'll order the vienna from Gerard. Can somebody help with some amarillo (i have about 40g), simcoe (only 10g) and cascade (sweet FA) hops or should we organise to buy some from Ross?

What does everyone think about the choice of recipes: are we doing the hopburst or the wheat?

Coolo - yeah FWH would be good, maybe FWH with 5g of each hop! Don't think that pilsner/pale will make much diff so that's cool. I'll order the vienna from Gerard. Can somebody help with some amarillo (i have about 40g), simcoe (only 10g) and cascade (sweet FA) hops or should we organise to buy some from Ross?

What does everyone think about the choice of recipes: are we doing the hopburst or the wheat?

Both? :lol: :chug:

I have some cascade and some (2004) Ahtanum. Don't have any of the other hops I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back