Infinium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Wienstephan/Sam Adams Collaboration Brew.
I know it's only new, but was wondering if anyone has had it yet? I haven't read a good review yet! It gets a bit of a bashing on Beer Advocate, and Rate Beer, apparantely.
Mitch :D

I'm curious of this one too, saw it at the Re Store today. Wasn't game enough to grab one for the $38.50 price tag however.

Anyone tried it yet?

Saw it in Nectar to for $38. As tempting as it is to try the product of these two breweries I find it hard to justify that much money for one bottle of beer.

People are put off by a $40 price tag ? :huh:
This isn't everyday swilling beer folks, pretty special kinda beer.
I've bought a bottle, might crack it this weekend and provide some feedback.

Infinium is $20 a bottle here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Too much for me to take a chance on.

I'd risk the $20. I should have looked out for it when I was in the US.

In situations like this I usually convince a mate that splitting a bottle would be a good idea.

Are these 500ml bottles. Still, even if they are it's pretty dear. What's it supposed to be, a US IPA?

From the reviews I've read it sounds like a Belgium strong ale.

A couple of friends bought me a bottle of this 2 weeks ago

Champagne bottle was fun to de-cork

Pours very frothy, light yellow colour, white head. We sampled it from champagne glasses :)

Very drinkable for a 10.5% alcohol beer. Big % of adjuncts I'd say to give the alcohol content with a medium-light body

Very little hop presence, sweetish finish, possibly Belgian yeast in there?

I should have really had it before the 6 or so beers I had before sampling... And taken notes!

I do remember enjoying the beer, and it being agreeable with my more mainstream beer drinking friends

I sampled this last night at a launch event.

The export director was very forthcoming with information.

I am amazed that I am able to remember anything, but here is the info that I retained:

There are no adjuncts, because the beer conforms to the reinheitsgebot - which is the integral part of the challenge. Instead, it uses lots of green (unkilned) malt from their local maltster for the extreme levels of diastatic enzyme. I (sadly) did not ask for further grist info.

They use a decoction mash, and the mash is tailored to very high fermentability.

The fermentation regime is high ferment temp with a French champagne yeast, I think that they use the same ferment temp as their hefe of 20C, and then finish the ferment with three strains of lager yeast at 6C (which is obviously designed to ferment as much dextrine as possible).

I did not ask about the hops, but there is only the slightest hop presence in this beer. I spoke to more than one person who mistook the yeast fruitiness for hops.

And my opinion: I thought it is a very accomplished beer, very refined and polished. The balance is not going to appeal to everyone, but it is obvious that it is not designed to, especially if you dislike kristall weizen. There is a lot of ethanol sweetness, the malt is very fresh, and I thought I could pick how it differs from kilned malts, more of a bean sprout kind of flavour in there. It is complex, and very dry and spritzy, and the easiest comparison to draw is champagne. I was expecting the product to be something like the Schneider-Brooklyner, but it is not. I really like that they produced a big 'showy' beer that was not made by just adding more of something. I think it deserves a bit of credit.

Sounds v interesting..

I think I might've seen a bottle at Leura Cellars the other day... will have to keep an eye out

Well, I dove in and bought a bottle. $40 here in Kalgoorlie. I'm gonna save it until our first child is born at the end of March. As close to champagne (or sparkling wine) as I'll care to get from what I understand.

Just tried this yesterday.

High carbonation and a fairly distinct champagne-like mouth feel. I could see how some people might be disappointed if they were expecting to be blown away by this beer. It's a tasty Belgium Strong Ale but I wouldn't really consider it anything ground breaking.

Just wanting to bump this thread, to see if anyone else had tried this and were able to give feed back. We managed to score a few bottle through our rep at work. Mines sitting there, ready to go, just curious what others have to say about it.

Some clown in the bar paid one of the other guys $250 for his bottle :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, not kidding and not for charity. Just a loaded regular who wanted to buy a bottle. I personally thought it was hilarious. I'm not a fan of the guy. Anyone else I might have told them to buy it elsewhere. He wanted it, and offered that much cash to my colleague straight up. How could he refuse? :D

Latest posts

Back