Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
Howdy guys.

Just got back home after a few weeks away to find my brew lookin a bit strange. Is it an infection? Its been in the primary for nearly a month. Is there any chance of it being drinkable?
gif.gif

P171210_17.19.jpg

Definite infection.

Taste it - if it tastes OK and FG is reached you might get away with drinking it quickly. You need to be careful of exploding bottles with infection although having said that I have had a few, have bottled several and never had one explode. My experience isn't science though.

Can be worth keeping one or two even if it tastes bad just to educate the palate.

Make sure you clean that fermenter very well, bleach it, sodium metabisulphite it, then no rinse sanitise it. Do a very simple cheap test brew (tin of goo and dex) that you won't cry about if you lose.

If that turns out OK the fermenter is alright. If it doesn't consider a new one.

Howdy guys.

Just got back home after a few weeks away to find my brew lookin a bit strange. Is it an infection? Its been in the primary for nearly a month. Is there any chance of it being drinkable?
gif.gif

FIRE!!!

Before it takes over the world..

sorry for your loss mate, make sure you clean that fermenter to within an inch of it's life.. soft cloth of course and some very good antibac biodegradable cleaners onto that fermenter lest it grow legs and beset apon us all..
hate to see one die... :icon_vomit:

That's an impressive pelicle after a month, you could have a bit of spontaneous magic there if you let it run its course.

Or not.

cheers

grant

Looks like aceto to me, you will probably just end up with vinegar. Exposing it to more oxygen just exacerbates it.

If you wanted to keep it maybe you could pitch some other bugs like pedio or brett, or both, and put it in some glass and keep the oxygen out, but that's not something I have any experience with so I have no idea what would happen.

crikey!! that's a good one, have you tasted it yet, would love to know what hits the palate :eek:

I recently had to tip beer, it hurt :angry:

Damn that is some serious growth after just a month!

+1 to manticle's post.

Its a darn shame to lose a batch.

Looks like aceto to me,

acetobacter infection generally presents as a ropy, webby covering rather than that floating islands mess you have there.

learn a lesson, toss it along with the bucket

K

Looks like a crispy krausen to me. Take a swig if you have to spit it out ditch it.

Sorry Mate that that brew is just not right. I to think toss the lot the brew and the fermenter, just to be sure...

i really don't understand all the calls to toss the fermenter because of an infection... surely a normal cleaning/sanitising regime would sort it out, or if you had a bad infection maybe add in an additional step with a different sanitiser/boiling water rinse in case there was some particular bug resistant to your usual chemicals.

wrt the OP, looks stuffed mate... but give it a taste, you will know pretty quick if there is something wrong it.

i really don't understand all the calls to toss the fermenter because of an infection... surely a normal cleaning/sanitising regime would sort it out, or if you had a bad infection maybe add in an additional step with a different sanitiser/boiling water rinse in case there was some particular bug resistant to your usual chemicals.

wrt the OP, looks stuffed mate... but give it a taste, you will know pretty quick if there is something wrong it.

If you've ever had one that's repeated itself in several brews you'd understand. The cost of a new fermenter (which may be scratched and harbouring bacteria) VS the cost and effort of several AG brews (or premium kit brews, extract brews or partial brews) works out on the side of new plastic container for me.

That's from unfortunate experience. I'd still recommend doing a thorough clean and test brew before chucking though.

Back