Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
I made an IPA late last year which seems to be infected - unpleasant taste a bit like bandaids that hasn't improved with time. Otherwise it looks & pours beautifully - just tastes like crap! Question is: can you have an infected beer that is crystal clear? I'd expect it to be cloudy. Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that infected bottles are usually gushers - but that's definitely not the case here. Any thoughts?

might not be infected, could be just phenolic from mutated yeast, or a hot fermentation?
i'm making an english bitter at the moment that's come out with a slight phenolic note just cause the weather's been too hot.

or did you throw in some witbier yeast by mistake perhaps?

RobW said:
Question is: can you have an infected beer that is crystal clear? I'd expect it to be cloudy. ?
Hi RobW

Yep, you can get a perfectly clear beer that is infected. Some bacterial infections are better fermenters of the sugars than normal yeast.

One of the common things that give bandaid type smells are from the reactions of chlorine in the water or cleansers an the malt. It could also be a wild yeast infection.

The beer isn't likely to improve, so the best thing to do is tip it and learn.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro said:
Yep, you can get a perfectly clear beer that is infected. Some bacterial infections are better fermenters of the sugars than normal yeast.

One of the common things that give bandaid type smells are from the reactions of chlorine in the water or cleansers an the malt. It could also be a wild yeast infection.

The beer isn't likely to improve, so the best thing to do is tip it and learn.

Cheers
Pedro
Thanks Pedro
I'd have expected the actual bacterial growth to cause some turbidity.
I did change my sanitising method about that time so that could be the reason.
Down the sink she goes. :angry:

Good Day
Wild yeast infections give a very clear beer that is phenolic.
All the best, Barry.

Thanks Barry. A timely tip.
I have found that the phenolic flavour has appeared in a few of my yeast cultures (reculture from bottled beer).
Always a good idea to taste the culture before pitching. Don't want to ruin a batch, do we? Always have backup yeast (dry or another culture).
Seth

Phenolic can come from fermenting at too high a temperature. Also, from not rinsing chlorine based cleaners out.

Doesn't brettanomyces sometimes produce bandaid-like aromas?

Kai

You are correct. Brettanomyces can gove phenolic taint and also vinegar and nail polish flavours. Brettanomyces is a wild yeast that isn't closely related to our brewing yeasts.

Pedro

Latest posts

Back