Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macca05 said:
Thanks man. I thought it didnt look good. Its my fault as I was lazy to bottle the one fermenter so i could reuse the yeast and the fermenter. I normally chill with the tap water running through my chiller in the boil kettle but as it uses about 400 ltrs of water I tried it a different way and put the chiller in a bucket with ice. Used two bags of ice and the water was still warm and it only got down to about 35C. Thats y i stopped there. Next time ill just use the water method as it doesnt cost that much for water, but at 4 bucks a packet of ice i think i would need 4 packets to cool it right down.
Oh well down the drain with this one. How long can I keep the yeast that I took from the last fermenter. I have it in the fridge in a jug. I did notice it had a slight green tinge to it though in some areas. Maybe it was just me. Its been in the fridge for about 1hr as I was waiting for it to settle.
Thanks
Wort - Have you tasted it? Never know, if it's a wild yeast in there it might turn out OK. Unlikely but maybe. What was in there btw?

Laziness - Buy yourself a cube or two mate, I've done 3 brews in a week while I've had time off work so I can do some easy fermenting while I'm back at work.

Fermenter - When you dump the stuff nuke the fermenter and anything that stuff touches. I'd it it with boiling water, bleach for a day, boiling water again. Hope none of this rubbish sticks around.

Yeast - I'd agree with Ferg on the yeast, ditch it. For $5-10 a pack, not worth any risk. I've only had a go at harvesting yeast once, I boiled some jars in water for 20 minutes as well as hitting them with star san. The water I used was double boiled but I've since heard triple boiling is the safest way to go.

Edit: Ice - when I was chilling with ice I collected the stuff in my freezer between brews. A few trays a day, before you know it you'll have 5kg.

damoninja said:
Wort - Have you tasted it? Never know, if it's a wild yeast in there it might turn out OK. Unlikely but maybe. What was in there btw?
It was going to be my best one. It was Cdbrowns Hop Hog recipe. I was really looking forward to it. Going to have to buy all the hops again but the grains I have lots of.
Man I took no chances hey. It cost maybe 30 bucks. This stuff was growing so quick. I took a big chunk out of it to see what it was and the area that i emptied grew back in about 30 min. It was almost like a yeast cake to be honest but was very thick and it was like home made custard thickness that has been in the fridge. Broke apart just like it.

Laziness - Buy yourself a cube or two mate, I've done 3 brews in a week while I've had time off work so I can do some easy fermenting while I'm back at work.
When using a cube do u only get 20L + - in it. I brew 25-26L What do I do with the rest

Fermenter - When you dump the stuff nuke the fermenter and anything that stuff touches. I'd it it with boiling water, bleach for a day, boiling water again. Hope none of this rubbish sticks around.
Will do that. Will have to buy bleach this week

Yeast - I'd agree with Ferg on the yeast, ditch it. For $5-10 a pack, not worth any risk. I've only had a go at harvesting yeast once, I boiled some jars in water for 20 minutes as well as hitting them with star san. The water I used was double boiled but I've since heard triple boiling is the safest way to go.
The yeast was wyeast 1056. Bloody cost $14 from my LBS

Edit: Ice - when I was chilling with ice I collected the stuff in my freezer between brews. A few trays a day, before you know it you'll have 5kg.
Thought about that but I have a shop about 50mtrs from my house and the day I brewed it was a last min decision cuz i was bored

macca05 said:
When using a cube do u only get 20L + - in it. I brew 25-26L What do I do with the rest

Will do that. Will have to buy bleach this week
To get to 25L do you usually add any additional water after your boil? If so, don't add as much / any.
If not you could get a smaller cube for the excess, any container that can be sterilised and will not leach toxins by boiling temps should hold up really...

To be honest all my AG brews have come in well under my desired final volume and have needed a top up... I'm still managing efficiency of about 75 percent with my dingy little mash tun. For a final volume of at my desired OG I usually come in at 20L and top the cube up the the brim (about 22L)... Then I'll add what I need to my wort to dilute and meet final volume / OG. So far they've aligned perfectly.

I think my boil off rate is quite high as I use 3 pots and 3 burners because I don't have a big setup meaning the surface area for steam is quite high.

With the bleach, buy the cheap no name crap nothing with scents etc and dilute it down of course.
Rinse the crap out of it many many times with hot water and leave it in the sun for a day, you really don't want any bleach left over.

macca05 said:
as it uses about 400 ltrs of water
Damn that's a LOT of water..

No chill is your friend. It's foe this reason I've not gone down the chiller path, I just can't justify running that much water to waste.

Yob said:
Damn that's a LOT of water..

No chill is your friend. It's foe this reason I've not gone down the chiller path, I just can't justify running that much water to waste.
If the water can be collected and repurposed it's easier to justify.

Agreed, doesn't sound like it's the case here though.

I got a 1000lt water tank with this in mind, then decided I couldn't be arsed and hooked it up to the downpipe on our bungalow, if I ever get a chiller I can recirculate back to that.

I used to feel guilty about a laundry sink full to chill my partials going to waste ;)

Ed: typeo

Yob said:
Agreed, doesn't sound like it's the case here though.

I got a 1000lt water tank with this in mind, then decided I couldn't be arsed and hooked it up to the downpipe on our bungalow, if I ever get a chiller I can recirculate back to that.

I used to feel guilty about a laundry sink full to chill my partials going to waste ;)

Ed: typeo
Yeah, I bought an IBC to collect the water from chilling, then it gets used to water the plants, makes chilling water neutral for me as I'd be watering the plants anyway.

damoninja said:
To get to 25L do you usually add any additional water after your boil? If so, don't add as much / any.
If not you could get a smaller cube for the excess, any container that can be sterilised and will not leach toxins by boiling temps should hold up really...

To be honest all my AG brews have come in well under my desired final volume and have needed a top up... I'm still managing efficiency of about 75 percent with my dingy little mash tun. For a final volume of at my desired OG I usually come in at 20L and top the cube up the the brim (about 22L)... Then I'll add what I need to my wort to dilute and meet final volume / OG. So far they've aligned perfectly.
Im pretty spot on with how many ltrs I end up with. I have a big boil off rate too. My last brew that I threw out I had 35L pre boil and ended up with 26L in the fermenter. Lost about 1L to trub but the rest to boil off. If I can get 25L Cubes II'd be happy with that, But I really dont want to go smaller than that as for the amount of effort on brew day I think it wouldnt be worth it only getting 20L unless I could lift my gravity right up so I could then add 5L when fermenting
I think my boil off rate is quite high as I use 3 pots and 3 burners because I don't have a big setup meaning the surface area for steam is quite high.

With the bleach, buy the cheap no name crap nothing with scents etc and dilute it down of course.
Rinse the crap out of it many many times with hot water and leave it in the sun for a day, you really don't want any bleach left over.
I just bought some bleach from Coles. The Coles brand no scent one. Lucky that cuz they had lemon and I thought about it and went no scent. Should I dilute it to the instructions? How much hot water should I use. Normally when cleaning out ferms I just use about 1.5L from the kettle a couple of times.

Yeh the water does concern me too. Thats why I tried the ice method, but will have to figure something out by this wknd. I dont have storage for 400L of water to cool down before using it and if I use it hot I'll kill my veges. Cant have that. I know its a waste too thats why I would like to figure the ice method out.

macca05 said:
I just bought some bleach from Coles. The Coles brand no scent one. Lucky that cuz they had lemon and I thought about it and went no scent. Should I dilute it to the instructions? How much hot water should I use. Normally when cleaning out ferms I just use about 1.5L from the kettle a couple of times.

Yeh the water does concern me too. Thats why I tried the ice method, but will have to figure something out by this wknd. I dont have storage for 400L of water to cool down before using it and if I use it hot I'll kill my veges. Cant have that. I know its a waste too thats why I would like to figure the ice method out.
Usually when I use boiling water I use 4-5 litres, only to make it easier to manage and roll about without having to shake the crap out of it... Don't want boiling water mishaps.
The instructions probably only say how much bleach to use for washing machines not sterilising... I'd go with about 4mL per litre, so if you use 5mL boiling water just add a tablespoon measure (20mL) bleach and it should do the trick.
As far as how much to use rinsing? No real set amount, last time I did mine I just put it on its side in the yard and belted it with the hose for 5 minutes.

The ice method did work for me, for those last few degrees are really hard to get down...Did you stir the wort one way and the water the opposite direction?
Even with a tonne of ice and this method I could only cool to about 28 degrees... Not ideal but still safe enough to pitch and throw it in the fridge.

Ive been happy to get mine down to around 28C and then pitch as I put it straight into a fridge so I'd say it will get to 18C in a couple of hours. I disinfect my fridge after each ferment as I end up with a bit of mould growing in there from me either using tap to drain some and it gets on the floor of fridge or the last ferment in fridge had cling film on it so it was kinda dripping out and onto the floor.
How do you mean did I stir the wort one way and the water the other. My wort was in my chiller going one way, should i have stirred the water opposite in the bucket. I could watch the ice melting so quick tho.

macca05 said:
How do you mean did I stir the wort one way and the water the other. My wort was in my chiller going one way, should i have stirred the water opposite in the bucket. I could watch the ice melting so quick tho.
Yep, stirring the water the opposite direction will help marginally... Or if using a trough just move the pot left to right. If the water's still the water that's surrounding the pot doesn't move it stays warm so less heat gets exchanged. The method really sucks, I'm so glad I've got cubes and don't have to worry about getting crap in the wort in the 20-30 minutes it would take to cool it down.

To increase cold surface area I've also seen people freeze bottles of water and sterilise the outside before dumping them into the wort.

What do you mean the wort was in your chiller?

I use an immersion chiller that i placed in a bucket of ice and then pumped the wort through the chiller and then whirlpooled back into the pot. I cant place my pot in a trough. Its a 60L pot with about 30L of wort. Too much to carry around. Thats why I can either use the immersion chiller to run cold tap water through it with the chiller in the wort or this time I tried the chiller in ice and ran the wort through it. I'll look in to the cubes at bunnings next time Im down there and it may save me a fair bit of time.

So how well did you clean and sanitise the inside of the...um...containment chiller?

IPA after 10 days. Pitched a (I thought) healthy 1337 starter.
Smells absolutely fantastic, I have only taken the cling wrap of to dry hop & take this picture.

I put my nose right in, citra hops is all I can smell, but it looks rank.

What do you reckon m8s
11302739074_a4cd99ac38_c.jpg

Those are the answers I was hoping for.
I'm going to chill it on Mon and then keg it next weekend. :D

Badseed....
We are only telling you what we SEE in the photo...
What does it tatse like ??If it tastes shi*...dump it...
If it tastes okay , keg it and i'll give you my address and you can post it over :ph34r:

I haven't tasted it, but the smell is good.It just looks bad, it made me suspicious but I am probably being paranoid.
One xmas I lost a keg of lcpa clone to an infection, it still hurts. -_-

I will taste it once it's chilled and ready to keg.

Looks fine to me. Don't see anything that looks like spiderweb or hair ar green skanky mould. Looks like a totally healthy beer. Bottle/keg and consume for the festive season.

Back