Infected Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not interesting so much as logical.
The additional comments suggest the beer has already been racked away from the yest, - which further highlights the misguided insistence that the OP should be concerned about autolysis.

No , I merely didn't know wether the beer was in a primary fermenter or a Secondary fermenter (You are correct about secondary fermenters and i would never condone the use thereof .) and i was hardly INSISTING anything
If so i'd probably start thinking about getting it off there
just making the OP aware of a REAL possible issue.

Are you saying Auotolysis doesn't exist, do you know the conditions on which this beer was brewed, proper pitching rates, oxygenation, yeast age etc etc..

:p

36ecvp.jpg

Are you saying Auotolysis doesn't exist, do you know the conditions on which this beer was brewed, proper pitching rates, oxygenation, yeast age etc etc..
The reality I see is that the OP is asking if a film on-top of his beer could be an infection, so what I'm saying is that telling the OP to rack the beer off the yeast because it's been there for 4 weeks and he "should read up Autolysis" is irrelevant and not helpful in regard to the original question.
This is especially true when the recommended reading link says the beer can be left on the yeast for "several months without any evidence of autolysis".

which given the question is about a film on-top of the fermenting beer and worrying about infection - is equally misguided and irrelevant to the original question.

But wolfy - its not irrelevant. If he racked to a secondary, he has added an additional source of infection, so it is 100% relevant when answering a question about infections. :lol:

Well we can all relax (including me)

i have distilled the advice from all parties, once again many thanks. I have bottled 20 L and the other 20 L has gone into a keg, the beer in the bottles has been primed the beer in the keg hasn't yet, I'll wait another month before i prime the keg.

In relation to the discussion regarding racking, I haven't wanted to due to a fear of infections, but this idea of racking into a keg works me me because it doesn't involve an extra step. Sadly most of the beer i make goes into a bottle because I am not allowed to run two fridges for my beer, so it sits in the fermenter until it goes into a bottle.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back