Infected Beer, Lots Of Pressure In Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

Reaction score
i think i might have an infected beer. doesnt smell all that good, doesnt taste amazing. but i havnt done this beer before.

i was kinda lazy with it and it was sitting in secondary for like 3 weeks... still shouldnt have been a problem.

was a muntons kit, kit yeast, 500gm dry malt, 500gram dex. fermented normally. in secondary for 3 weeks. then i bottled it. it never smelt real good. i think it was around 1040ish down to 1010ish? or 1013. along those lines

anyway doesnt taste all that good after 2.5 weeks in the bottle. now i bottled moslty in coopers long necks, but 1 in a coopers PET bottle (cos u can do the squeeze test) and it was very hard, and had bulged out a little so it didnt sit normaly on its bottom.

im not sure about the rest. primed them with 2 carbonation drop things per bottle so its not that (had no dex on hand so i couldnt bulk prime). and yeah. im not sure if its just a messed up beer or a one off bad bottle.

any suggestions?? i guess in the end just gotta try the others but they dont taste real good. was going to leave them for a couple of months see if they get better, but if they might explode dont really wanna do that.

2 carb drops for those bottles is fine. I don't know about the bottom bulging out, but the time I used PET bottles they swelled to some degree.

After 2.5 weeks it's normal for your brew to be bad tasting, especially if it's kit and kilo. I find mine are still very malty and sweet up till about week four, and I prefer to leave it two months in the bottle these days. I find a lot of the trash flavours dissipate after this long.

Anyway crack open a beer and sniff it out. Is there any smells which shouldn't be there, that you haven't smelled throughout the brewing process etc? I've had 2 batches infected with actylene or whatever it's called and they smelled like vinegar, looked silky AND had a slight scum on the surface.

I'd defnitely hang onto those bottles for another 6 weeks though, and if you're worried about bombs put them somewhere safe and standing in a tub.

thanks for the reply.

nah, the same smells as were present throughout the fermentation. it always did smell a little stronger and slightly different to the other kits. guess i will hang onto them.

the PET bottle could have got that anytime as they have been used a few times, even when cleaning with hot-ish water they can kinda mutate. the beer didnt seem to be too bubbly either.

it was a muntons kit which are meant to be pretty good and i havnt had an infected beer yet - have a pretty rigorous cleaning procedure.

thanks for the info, i will hang onto them and see how they turn out.

i hope they taste better in a month or two.

:-D

onto partial mash next, over the KnK!

Latest posts

Back