Indisinct refractometer readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My refractometer now lives permanently in the back of the brewing cupboard, similar actually to my wifes tuppaware collection.:)

I prefer now just to take a sample of wort in the hydro test tube and stick it in the freezer for a set time and then read it.
FG is easy of course, with no need for chilling or correction.

Not saying not to use a refractometer, just saying what I do after years of actually believing that the refractometer was a valuable brewing tool. :)
My refractometer is a good quality unit, bought before the flood of chinese ones, but I got fed up with waiting for wort to clear, waiting for the sample to cool, (athough be it a lot quicker than the test tube in the freezer) moving around and generally going out side to get an accurate reading, converting the reading obtained to SG and coupled with the fact that as I got older my eyesight is not as sharp as it once was, I am happy with my hydrometer.

The reasons you would be getting a blurry reading are:
* too much liquid on the glass, not allowing the flip top to rest parallel
* not enough liquid on the glass
* particulate matter in the sample
* inadequate lighting
Considering you're taking the sample from the fermenter tap, I'd say you've got too much yeasty and trub floaties in the sample (they tend to settle in the tap).
The ideal lighting is directly in front of the refractometer, not above. I find covering my hand over the top of it and pointing it towards light gives better readings. Also, I tend to pull the flip top down on the glass to spread the liquid out because the unit's cheap and works better that way.

I never needed to let wort settle to get a clear reading. It worked instantly for any time. Even to measure each run off when sparging.
Maybe to flip top isnt lined up level with the lense?

Danscraftbeer said:
I never needed to let wort settle to get a clear reading. It worked instantly for any time. Even to measure each run off when sparging.
Maybe to flip top isnt lined up level with the lense?
Just had a bit of a squint at the flip top, to be honest the level and the lens look good. Seems like there are no answers on this. I'd resigned myself to letting the wort settle and clear until I read your post.

Not sure if this will work for you, or why it seems to work for me. But I have found on the few occasions that I get a blurry reading, I can turn the refractometer sideways for a few moments and the line becomes very clear. No idea why, but it works for me.

The only issue I had was the first time when I fully inverted the sample and the flip top dislodged.

Oh, forgot one other reason - flip top not parallel with glass. My kid/s belt the hinge pins on mine and it wouldn't lie flat. Couldn't get a decent reading. After I bent it back it was good to go.

Back