Indian Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Afghan "hops" joke was somewhat misconstrued :)

Islam Dragon, anybody?

Afghan joke understood, just harder to make a beer related joke about that.

Cheers SJ

SJ - i think adamt, your and my jokes are ok.

argintine hops huh? i wonder if the taste will be like a tango in your mouth.
ashame the aussie producers wont get in on the gig. then again we dont know if they have differant tax implications on them that means that aussie hops are actually more expensive to produce here.

edit
ok anbother bad joke. Green Zone SMASH using green bullet and oh i dont know...maybe wheat!

Hello, how are you today sir, my name is Kevin, today I am calling to see if you would like to buy some very cheap hops for the making of your beer.

:lol:

Hello, how are you today sir, my name is Kevin, today I am calling to see if you would like to buy some very cheap hops for the making of your beer.

:lol:

Nah it'd be more like "Hello to you sir, I am from your hop supplier and I am just letting you know we are cutting the cost of your hops by 50%, please sign here and here".

The man who sets up the deal in India is a braver man than I.

I tried a purchase of a bulk quantity (500K) of CD-R from a plant who is partially owned by Das Krauts. It was a disaster on timing, pricing, banking, shipping and everything else. Quality was very good, but not worth the pain. Gave up and went back to buying in more usual tech ports in Asia.

Fingers crossed and best wishes for success.

Cheers - Fermented.

I've met Fermented and he does this sort of thing for a living so he's the man to listen to.

Hey how about "Hello, my name is Kevin. I would like to talk to the chief brewer there. Is that you?"

I didn't get a start with the Chines hops, but I'd be interested in the Indian ones.

From my point of view, I'm more than happy to drink their leaf tea. I don't see that much difference in hop cultivation and processing compared to tea. Tea from India has been sold for centuries, and no-one complains about the quality of that, as far as I know.

Your right of course. A man could go mental dealing with India. And I would NOT trust them on hop varieties, purness, handling etc etc. they are just not that serious yet about hop production. BUT is it worth the risk. I could land the hops to your door for $5.00 a kilo.

Craftbrewer
Didn't "The Cellarman" say on one of the old CBR shows that one part of India was ideal for growing hops but they had no infrastructure to transport them out of the area. They'd probably be rancid before they hit Australian shores. It's certainly a diverse country with lots to offer but I still reckon the workload would be more effort than its worth. What if the currency flutuated dramatically mid deal, the hop prices might esculate too dizzying new heights, maybe even hitting the $5.02 per kilo :unsure: .

The Argentinian hop topic sounds interesting especially as God is an Argentine football supporter, he probably supplies good nutrition & growing conditions to their hop farms. It would be like having the hand of God stirring the brewpot and that can't be bad :party: .

Didn't "The Cellarman" say on one of the old CBR shows that one part of India was ideal for growing hops but they had no infrastructure to transport them out of the area. They'd probably be rancid before they hit Australian shores. It's certainly a diverse country

If you look at an atlas india would be the last place you would think hops would grow. All the major hop growing regions are in more temperate climates, as hops are a daylight specific plant. I suspect they get away with it by growing it at high altitudes in the Himalayas, which would make an interesting hop plant as the flavours may be different to those grown at lower altitudes.

On my radio show, I have more on this where the guy says the hops are second-generation variety, which of course is not a variety at all but they did say that the AAU was 13.2%. They also said that they produce 40 metric tons a year and that the plantings were increasing rapidly, so there is hope that hops from India could be coming to a shop near you. I have to do more investigations into this and will let you know if I find anything out

Craftbrewer

From my point of view, I'm more than happy to drink their leaf tea. I don't see that much difference in hop cultivation and processing compared to tea. Tea from India has been sold for centuries, and no-one complains about the quality of that, as far as I know.

Agree. As well as all the numerous other produce I buy and eat from my local Indian shop that is produced in India and shipped here.
Cheers
Steve

The school buses are a bit cramped though

india_school_bus_tricycle.jpg

Batz

Mmmmmm Hop Vindaloo. Hopped Chicken Pakoras, and Bengali Hopped Red Dal Curry, the mind boggles and the head wobbles.

Screwy

AND: Why are all of their call centre operators named "Kevin"???????????????

Back