In Praise of Pale Partials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Later this year I will celebrate my sixth anniversary of enslavement to full mash BIAB brewing :beerbang:

My KnK partials phase was only a few months back in 2008 and I made some nice beers, but after that I considered myself fully upgraded to full mash.
On a couple of occasions I ended up with a tin of Coopers and as experiments I pimped them up with mini BIABs and made some drinkable beers as I have reported in other threads.

Moving interstate I ended up with only one fermenting fridge, a KegMate style that comfortably holds my 60L FV so I have been making double keg brews since the end of the comps season.

This time round, I was aiming for a light coloured blonde / cream ale heatwave buster rather than the UK style ESBs and SBs I have been making.
I couldn't really build up enough enthusiasm to do a double BIAB brew and on an impulse, in Big W I bought a tin of Coopers Canadian. In addition, as often posted, I keep a fair supply of 500g tubs of maltose syrup.

So I did a full mash wort with 5k JW Pilsener and around 30g Chinook, and extended that in the 60l FV to 44 litres with the tin of Canadian and two tubs of maltose to yield two kegs at around 5.3%

Yeast BRY-97

Cream ale.jpg

cream ale 2.jpg

Bloody spectacular, this would have to be the most pleasant beer I've made for years. It's smooth, clean, clear, bright hoppiness, absolutely no twang. In fact after hundreds of beers this one has really knocked me out. And it's only 15 days since pitching.

I think the key is that all the fermentables are malt, maltose and malt extract in the form of a very light kit. Recommended for anyone looking for a commercial style beer for rellies etc, but a perfect lawnmower.
This afternoon I'm doing another version with Morgans Australian Lager tin, 6k malt mash and one tub of maltose, plus 15g Nelson Sauvin and saved slurry of BRY.

:super:

I haven't done a brew in a good few months, think I have half a keg left(too scared to check), funds have been taking a bashing with all the festivities dragging their way into this month, on top of that the sheds in a mess and there is no way in hell I'm getting out the 3v. Also stocks are low other than 3/4 sack of JW Pils. I have hops just about over flowing the freezer so lots of choice there(thanks Yob :beerbang: ). And a dry yeast Mangrove Jack craft series MO7. this could work!!

Wonder if I could get a brew in on friday?

That Canadian Blonde can was my go-to can for kits. I used to pimp the shit out of it but I found that the much talked about "kit twang" (It's real) was much less than some other kits. Bribie G, after the heat of last week I opted for a dumbing down of the big beers too. The last few gulps of a pint on a 40 degree day have got bones in them. I chose a total bastardisation of a famous Aussie Pale recipe using Golden Promise. Time will tell if it resembles a frosty Coopers. I'm sure it will be lovely regardless.

I knocked out a can of Coopers IPA with some carapils , wheat and some pils . Hopped with Galaxy , Amarillo and Citra . Best kit and bits and best of all no twang .

For my next brew I plan to do a Saison with the following.

1 Can of Coopers Blonde
350g Flaked (porridge) oats
650g Vienna
2000g Pils Malt
Mash at 67 deg
Hop with Styrian Goldings
Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724.

I'd welcome any feedback!! Cheers

Back