Imperial Stout - Wild Thing & Heart Of Darkness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith the Beer Guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

had the pleasure last night of having a sneak preview of not one but two, soon to be released commercial imperial stouts both created by Shawn Sherlock from Murrays.

"Wild Thing" & "Heart of Darkness"

At a HUB club meeting last night, Shawn (aka Gough) brought in, straight from the tank, samples of both Imperial Stouts. They were a great accompaniment to an informative talk Shawn gave extolling the virtues of using roast in your beers.

The two imperial stouts are very different from each other.

I enjoyed the Wild Thing most (available in the bottle in July) and I am sure I am not the only one looking forward to the latest version of this beer with a great deal of excitement.

Huge hit of citrus hops on the nose and more of the same on my palate. The malt was incredibly rounded, smooth and rich in the mouth given this beer has over 20% roast and has been in the tank for an incredibly short amount of time. My impression is the beer is an excellent example of a big American style imperial stout. My own preference is that I am looking forward to drinking it at some point in the future when the hops have mellowed a bit, but I am sure that the hop heads will enjoy the experience now.

Shawn described the Heart of Darkness to be released July1, only available in draught, as a Belgian imperial stout.

Fermented at higher temperature with a trappist high gravity yeast I found the beer to have plenty of classic Belgian spiciness and big fusel flavours. Very different from Wild Thing the higher alcohols put me off a bit, but I am looking forward to trying this beer when it goes on tap and seeing how a little more conditioning and the carbonation works with the beer.

My thanks again to Shawn for the sneak preview of the beers and his very informative discussion about using roast (don't be afraid of the IBUs!).

And let me say isn't it fantastic and exciting to be a fan of good beer at this moment in time.

Keith

I'd like to second that.

Huge thanks to Shawn for taking the time out of his busy schedule to present a very informative and well received talk.
Can't wait 'til the Imperial Stouts hit the shelves/taps. Well worth seeking out.

The HUB are truly lucky to have so many professional brewers of such calibre willing to invest their time, effort and knowledge in supporting the local brewing scene.

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. :)

39585_483069374257_649739257_6904755_6150559_n.jpg

Got my cube of Wild Thing Imperial Stout - just tasting my 1st now!

My mouth is having a block party!

Jimi Hendrix is slappin wild chords on my tongue, Beyonce is shakin her thing from cheek to cheek, & Michael Jordan just banked a buzzer beater off my off my tonsils!

....after that rant, I think my head has just joined the party too...

I'm only half way through the glass & another bottle is screaming with James Brown intensity to be drank ... Luckily i only fridged one!

Ok, enough, I need to drink this thing! Um, I mean 'Wild Thing'

Back