I'm Going To Be A Dad Any Day Now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapone

Reaction score
So any day now, I'm going to be a Dad. Just wondering if there are any simple recipes for a beer that I can cellar away for about 18 years?

Obviously, if this can be done I'm expect it to not be a plain brew, but I don't have plain tastes myself, and when my son is old enough, I'd like to teach him to appreciate beer properly.

I've only done half a dozen kits, but am interested in trying out steeping and getting more ingredients into the mix. I know that dark ales can age well when cellared, is there something that will age well over such a long period?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

1. I guess it would have to be a bad ass stout or similar type beer.

2. Like hell a beer will last 18 years in any brewers house!

3. Great job on the rug rat.

4. Just say at 17 years.... I have made a awesome beer for you 17 years ago. Reality a toucan stout aged 9~12 months. Maybe a better brew?

My second came along yesterday. A baby girl. Maybe I should put something down, for Dad and the many mates and uncles. I can't see me keeping anything cellared for 18 years though.

My random uneducated guess would be you would need to get the alcohol to a high enough level that it was self sanitising i.e. you might need to fortify it like a port.

Ive had a misplaced stash of 13 year old homebrew. Was just your normal golden ale type, nothing heavy, it was not bad, it was reasonably tasteless beer, but beer nevertheless and it all bottles were devoured

I have never aged a stout/dark type beer. I had the same thoughts for brewing a beer for my son and keeping it for his 18th, but I reckon it might turn out not so good, instead, my thoughts are to buy a bottle of grange or a 6/12 pack of Bin 389 Penfolds from their birth year and keep that for 18/21 years. That will be NICE!!!

I was born is 1977, I drank a cheapy Wyndham Estate from 1977 and it was GOLD....Also drank a Hill of Grace from 1980.....hmmmm...noice!
Wine is nice with a juicy big fata$$ steak still bleeding in the middle, seared on the outside....

SO where does beer fit in??? EVERYWHERE....anywhere....anytime....most importantly ALL THE TIME!!

Show him how to brew when he is 18 and then you are in for some interesting times....

So any day now, I'm going to be a Dad. Just wondering if there are any simple recipes for a beer that I can cellar away for about 18 years?

Obviously, if this can be done I'm expect it to not be a plain brew, but I don't have plain tastes myself, and when my son is old enough, I'd like to teach him to appreciate beer properly.

I've only done half a dozen kits, but am interested in trying out steeping and getting more ingredients into the mix. I know that dark ales can age well when cellared, is there something that will age well over such a long period?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

perhaps a big-arse iipa or barley wine would last long enough.

I am myself awaiting the birth any day now of a baby girl, and I think that a barley wine would be a great idea.

I am no expert but i think the abv would have to be over 10% to keep that long, better off buying some nice scotch and keeping it tucked away for 18 years, or even brewing a red wine to celler away for that time. Allthough i did watch a program on fox once where guys were paying top $$ for 200 year old royal english barley wine originaly made for the british royals! still i bet it tasted like shit

I've read that you can get bottle caps that suck oxygen out of your brew preserving it a lot longer. They are worth the investment for Russian Imperials, big barley wines and the like. Worth a try? if only for the scientific value in the long run?

Congrats dude, hope the birth goes well.

I reckon a Russian Imperial Stout is the go. I've seen a 3can recipe somewhere, using a Stout, Dark, and draught cans, steeped choc & roast grain, a hit of sugar and british hops fuggles & goldings.
Google is your friend, so get cracking! :beer:

I agree with eother an IIPA, big arse RIS or barley Wine. The main problem you'll have is preserving it for that long, as said above get yourself some oxygen absorbing caps, and I'd also be inclined to put a heap of wax over the cap to help minimise oxidation. Have a read of this http://homebrewandbeer.com/millenniumale.html I know this is an AG recipe, but the prep & storage bits might be of help. Congrats by the way, Seems like there's a few of us preparing for little rugrats, my second is due in 2 months.

Congrats.

I say to go against IPA because I have read/heard/absorbed somehow that the presence of hop matter in beer accelerate oxidation, which you will have to try to keep to a minimum. Hop bitterness from a boil will drop significantly in 18 years, probably to the point where there is basically none. I have heard that RIS is such a good ager because the high level of black-roasted malts are anti-oxidative.

I was searching quickly for some stuff to back me up on the IPA and found this, it is selling stuff though.

Hop also can then be oxidized giving rise to several compounds that can significantly participate to typical tastes and flavours faults of stale beers.

I think that you might be onto something with kits using iso-hops. I would personally go against stout cans, and would get pale cans and add a bunch of roasted grains like choc, black patent and roast barley to the beer.

Search the net for some Thomas Hardy's Ale clone recipes.

Something worth mentioning is that you will need to be as absolutely sanitary as you can, boil everything (all water used), clean and sanitise everything within an inch of its life. You should also look at pitching a lot of rehydrated yeast (perhaps a blend of yeasts), and doing a long primary ferment, perhaps racking and finishing with an aggressive yeast like champagne to whittle the FG down. You probably also want to keep bottle yeast to a minimum and don't prime much, if at all (will probably leak out over that time anyway).

I would also seriously consider the following idea: bury them. You might think I am a nutjob, but if you don't have somewhere stable and cool to put them, you might consider waxing your lids to stop them rusting, and burying them somehow. I have been thinking that this is probably the only way I would be able to do any aged beer projects of my own.

How about a Lambic?

1-3+ Year ferment, only 15 more years in the bottle after that! :)

Keep in mind the capping of the bottle, if rusting of the caps is an issue you may have to go corks and wire cage in champagne bottles or similar.

What about a big arse Belgium and bottle it in to wine magnum bottles (champers) im thinking the Chimay blue magnums here.....

And wax over the corks.

And bury the bottles in a wood lined metal box.

Back