I'm Excited!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
I finally got to put my CPA down.
After my last three brews each had different little things about them that bugged me, (and I'm touching wood as I say this coz I don't want to jinx it) this one seems to have gone entirely to plan.
I harvested Coopers bottle yeast, it tasted and smelled great just before pitching, my OG was within 2 points of what I had calculated (1041, expected 1043), the yeast kicked off well overnight and my dodgey fridge is holding comfortably between 16 and 18 degrees.
I'll be testing FG at two weeks and onwards and then someone will have to lock me up to stop me getting at it before it's had at least a month in the bottle.

Jono.

P.S. Maybe it's just because I'm still a bit of a noob but I realised this week that if you really want to train your palate in yeast flavour profiles, when you're tasting and smelling a tiny bit of your starter slurry for infections, taste some of the starter beer as well (if you can pour some off before pitching). Without the hops, I really noticed the apple and pear esters in my Coopers starter when in the past I'd struggled to notice them in the real beer itself.

Good luck Hefty, let us know how it goes.
If you can keep the temp between 16-18C I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the yeast flavour profile :- apple/pear as opposed to intense banana.

What ingredients did you use?

Cheers,
BB

Cheers BB,
I used the Coopers pale ale tin, 500g LDM, 500g dex (50/50 as opposed to 60/40 only coz I bought a 500g bag of LDM) and a POR teabag.
I boiled the LDM and dex for 15 minutes and then added the teabag at 2 minutes from flameout. I took the teabag out long enough to stir the tin in and then put it back in with everything in the fermenter (previous experience saw me rip open a hop teabag once by stirring too vigorously which turned a blonde into an American pale ale.)
My pitching temp was still a little high at 27 degrees but it still kicked off well so we'll see how she goes!!

Jono.

One tip I've picked up from people more experienced than me, Hefty, is to pitch at as close to fermenting temp as you can. If you have a read around the place, there are plenty of topics covering the effects and flavours generated by pitching at elevated temps

Yeah, that was probably the only thing that wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
I only had 3L of cold water, the rest was room temp. I even used ice to try and bring it down but to no avail (well, little avail anyway).
Oh well, another thing to add to my prep list for next time.

Jono.

Hefty,

If you haven't already, or want to give part mashing a go Grumpy's had a very good clone recipe that involved mashing about 1.7kg of grains all very manageable with general kitchen stuff and a 8-10L stock pot.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=12

You could use a tin of CPA extract and not worry about the POR addition and use a tin of Lyles Golden syrup for the 400g of inverted sugar (its already inverted).

Cheers,
BB

Yeah, I'm looking to move a little bit more towards extract/partial brews over time but I'm working on being consistent with my kits first.
As I mentioned earlier, each one of my last few brews have had little imperfections that I could, or rather should have avoided so I've made sure that I can do the simple stuff first with this brew and I'm going to help a mate who's just getting started to put down a few, then I'll start to expand my repertoire.

I'll definitely keep the recipe until then though!
Cheers!

Jono.

Hefty,

If you haven't already, or want to give part mashing a go Grumpy's had a very good clone recipe that involved mashing about 1.7kg of grains all very manageable with general kitchen stuff and a 8-10L stock pot.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=12

You could use a tin of CPA extract and not worry about the POR addition and use a tin of Lyles Golden syrup for the 400g of inverted sugar (its already inverted).

Cheers,
BB

Grumpys is now stillbrewing But you could get those ingredients at a good HBS (although everyone seems to be out of POR at the moment!) and use a coopers australian pale ale kit instead of the grumpy's low hopped extract. Definitely worth doing a partial now you've mastered the yeast .. you wont believe how much difference it makes!

The bloke sitting next to me here has just done side by side brews with sugar in one, and golden syrup and says he can't taste the difference (but he has some funny ideas about beer and its taste). you can also invert the sugar on the stove, using citric acid or similar, but there's some debate as to how much that inverts the sugar.

Quick question:
I know coopers kit yeast often ferments out very quickly. Does their bottle yeast often do the same?
I only put this brew down on Saturday afternoon and the krausen is already starting to settle out.
I'm going to leave it for 10-14 days before testing anyway because I'm determined to be patient with this one but was just curious. I thought it would have thick krausen for longer, especially because I've been keeping it at about 16 degrees.

Jono.

On the point of Coopers bottle yeast, am I to understand that the yeast is still live and can be cultured? I tried it (Coopers Sparkling Ale) years ago with no success and assumed that at that time (Talking early 1980s) that although bottle conditioned, the bottles were pasteurised before shipping. Obviously that has changed?

Edit: ok, did some quick research on another thread here and discovered that this is the case, but the yeast needs to be coaxed back into life, which could take a couple of days, which was probably the mistake I made years ago.

Happy Happy Joy Joy :lol: :lol:

hey guys i have a coopers canadioan blonde kit lying around here...

just wondering would the CPA bottle yeast suit that beer or ??

just thinking simple 500 LDMEgm 500gm dex 12gm saaz. 12gmsaaz after 5-6 days.

??

hey guys i have a coopers canadioan blonde kit lying around here...

just wondering would the CPA bottle yeast suit that beer or ??

just thinking simple 500 LDMEgm 500gm dex 12gm saaz. 12gmsaaz after 5-6 days.

??

Last time I made up a Coopers Canadian Blonde, I used Coopers BE2, which is approx 40% LME, 40% Dextrose and 20% Maltodextrin. It ended up quite sweet, as the IBU on this one is low. I have just remade it, this time with 100% dextrose. It has finished fermenting and I will keg it tomorrow.

My goal is to let it clear up in the keg, and the bottle it off with my constant pressure filler and leave it until the hot weather returns. I think it will be a good beer for the summer on those very hot days. I might dry hop it with Saaz or Amarillo before bottling it. See how it tastes from the chilled keg first.

Make up your intended brew, and if it turns out to sweet, add some isohops to your keg. I think 12 drops adds around 6 IBU for 18 litres.

Barry

going to put a CPA down tonight.
600gmBE1
400gm LDME
200gm dex
cultured CPA yeast.

I used Coopers BE2, which is approx 40% LME, 40% Dextrose and 20% Maltodextrin

Sorry, but the ingredients are 250g LME, 250g Maltodextrin and 500g Dextrose - hope this helps! Also, stevenk: BE1 is a mix of dextrose and maltodextrin, you'd be better off with a combo of around 500g Light dried malt extract and 350g dextrose. I use that mix a bit and find it a good half-way between BE2 and straight LDME. Good work with the cultured yeast though!

Cheers - boingk

yeah every one said it gives it a step closer to the real deal.. so...

keg and will see how the blokes and i like it.

On the point of Coopers bottle yeast, am I to understand that the yeast is still live and can be cultured? I tried it (Coopers Sparkling Ale) years ago with no success and assumed that at that time (Talking early 1980s) that although bottle conditioned, the bottles were pasteurised before shipping. Obviously that has changed?

Edit: ok, did some quick research on another thread here and discovered that this is the case, but the yeast needs to be coaxed back into life, which could take a couple of days, which was probably the mistake I made years ago.

Happy Happy Joy Joy :lol: :lol:

Hey BribieG - enjoy!

View attachment 19553

I recently did my CPA with recultured yeast, extra DME and POR hops. Tastes good even now, but a little sweet compared to real CPA due to the DME used, instead of detrose/sucrose. Only 10 days old, so hopefully the yeast in the bottle dries it up while it's being bottle conditioned.

Anyway, the whole point of HB is to share, so I'm trying to get everyone I know into it. My brother bought the coopers kit years ago, but gave up after not getting his expected results (much like I did 6 years ago). I think drinking the decent HB I made over the past few weeks has convinced him (and about 5 other friends) to look into HB.

He doesn't mind CPA, used to drink it all the time when I did, but he wants something in the range of a hoppy APA.
It's going to be his first brew in years, and first using real malt and hops. Has anyone used the CPA kit as a base and used hops to turn it into an APA?
As far as I know, just chucking some cascade or amarillo with 1kg of DME should do the trick, either using recultured coopers yeast or safale-05. But I don;t want to lead him astray on his first re-attempt into the HB world, or make it too complicated.
Any hints?

Pablo,
I actually did this by accident a few brews ago. I was trying to make a Coopers Canadian Blonde (DME, Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and Hallertau finishing hop bag IIRC) but my finishing hop bag ripped when I stirred the wort just before pitching. The hops were all through the brew for the whole of fermentation and and few days cold conditioning, kinda like a long dry hop. It ended up with a quite strong hop flavour and aroma, much more APA than blonde.

Jono.

Edit: Too many "and's"

You think you're excited?! Feel these nipples!

:lol: :p

Pablo,
I actually did this by accident a few brews ago. I was trying to make a Coopers Canadian Blonde (DME, Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and Hallertau finishing hop bag IIRC) but my finishing hop bag ripped when I stirred the wort just before pitching. The hops were all through the brew for the whole of fermentation and and few days cold conditioning, kinda like a long dry hop. It ended up with a quite strong hop flavour and aroma, much more APA than blonde.

Jono.

Edit: Too many "and's"
Yeah, the last ESB I did I needed some EKG, the HBS I was in had very little selection except for muntons teabag style finishing hops ( a little 12g pack when I was wanting to add 25G pack to the boil and remove before pitching). I left it in the fermenter because it was such a small pack for the entire 10 day fermentation.Beer came out great, nice bitterness and aroma.
I'm not a "hop head", my favourite beers are malty dark ales and stouts, but I think strong hops somehow make the homebrew taste better.Byeither masking flavours :) or just because they protect the beers from infections better, (the original reason for using them perhaps?)
If no one has never tried making an APA from coopers pale ale, I'll just tell my brother to chuck in 12-20g amarillo into the fermenter for the whole primary.

Latest posts

Back