Im A 4hr Man...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im done by 4 hours. I batch sparge, and no chill, which helps. I also crack the grain the night before. If you're on the ball and get the next step ready while you're waiting, it helps even more.
Same here.

I've found now that I have a makeshift stand and all the gear centralised - I probably am a touch under 4 hours

Cheers

I batch sparge but I'm between 4 to 5 hours including clean up. Having a dedicated brew rig helps.

Cheers

Chappo

I've never really paid too much attention to the length of time as I'm usuall working around family commitments BUT

weigh and measure everything with my 2yo helper - 20 mins
crush the grain in the marga hand cranked - 30 mins (although this could be up to an hour if my 2yo helps again and I can lose a few grains because she likes to eat them)
Now thats all normally done the week before...

Then heat the strike water - About 20 mins
mash in and temp fiddle- 10 mins
mash - this can be up to 2 &1/2 hours... most times about 90 mins
sparge - an hour normally (batch sparge - drain is pretty quick but I leave each 'batch' for 10-15 to do other things like distract my daughter from trying to take measurements of the draining wort)
boil - normally an hour
No Chill - the rest of the day and night :icon_cheers:
clean up - 15 mins

SOO including the chill to pitch time 24 hours. :beerbang: time to get a chiller, who wants to buy me one?

I was doing BIAB in 4 hrs from weigh and crush (while bring pot up to strike), to no chill cube and cleanup.
Then I started 90min mashes and mash outs so that added another hour
Then I just relaxed and now they are about 6 :ph34r:

My time has increased lately as I now do 90 minute mashes and 90 minute boils, and leave the kettle to settle for half an hour before cubing. Strike water comes straight out of the Solahart and getting the mash started is very quick indeed but I normally fit the brew in around with cooking, being the chef, eating etc although the other night I was antisocial and had to eat in the brewery to keep an eye on possible boilovers. Because I drink while I"m brewing I sometimes lose track of time :ph34r:

With a 60min mash and 90min boil I can be all done and dusted in 3 and a half hours, allthough I get my grain crushed the night before..

With BIAB, no-chill, an urn on a timer and grain cracked the night before, I'm generally packed up in a little over three hours. It's not structured this way so I can win the fastest brewer award, it's more a case of making sure I can fit it in with all the other stuff that seems to clog up my free time.

Back