IKEA Swing Top Clear Jars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
G'day All.

It's been ages since I've been on here.

Hope you're all well.

Just curious if anyone has used the Ikea jars as bottles, and whether they're any good for the job?

Many thanks in advance.

Hound

I think general consensus is anything that didn't originally contain something fizzy, is not pressure rated for something fizzy and may explode.

Do you have a link or a image of what ones you are talking about, I have used some of their swing top sealed jars for pickled onions and they work well.

Just bought 3 jars yesterday going to use for yeast washing

This is one here.

The swing top seems to make a damn good seal just not sure how it will fare under pressure...

20150205_053212_HDR.jpg

Being clear I wouldn't use it for beer due to the risk of skunking and such.

I have used them to bottle beer and they worked fine (obviously keep them in the dark).

YMMV, but they held up to the pressure fine for me.

I've used them for beer aswell. Not the same sort of strength as grolsh bottles but as long as you line up the seal nicely they work fine.

brzt6060 said:
Being clear I wouldn't use it for beer due to the risk of skunking and such.
Yeah, realise that mate.

All good as I'll keep them in zero light in the garage.

Many thanks for the replies fellas.

The wide mouthed IKEA jars are pretty rubbish. They were 5mm too stingy with the wire length so it keeps snapping apart.

mkj said:
The wide mouthed IKEA jars are pretty rubbish. They were 5mm too stingy with the wire length so it keeps snapping apart.
I have never had an issue with them and I make alot of pickled onions...

Aldi regularly sell French lemonade in clear swingtops, that already contain a highly carbed drink.

Ikea bottle
Picture 014.jpg
my fault, I racked to a secondary to lager and saved yeast from primary in bottle and put it in the fridge. Being short of time I didn't wash the yeast and forgot about the fact that primary fermentation was not complete. Don't know when this occurred as it was a month before the fridge was opened.

superstock said:
Ikea bottle
attachicon.gif
Picture 014.jpg
my fault, I racked to a secondary to lager and saved yeast from primary in bottle and put it in the fridge. Being short of time I didn't wash the yeast and forgot about the fact that primary fermentation was not complete. Don't know when this occurred as it was a month before the fridge was opened.
Mmmmm beyond sticky......

Latest posts

Back