If You Owned A Brewpub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
hey all,

been dreaming lately about owning my own brewpub, even started pricing different pubs for sale throughout sydney as i think it is easier to get the council approval to brew on premises if the pub is existing.. anyway like i said dreaming because i don't have the $$ required atm. been thinking about what styles i would brew and why. i think to keep up with everything 6 beers is a good number, here are the beers i am thinking.

1. american amber ale (would be the signature malty hop bomb that every brew pub needs) 40+ibu 6+% (thinking along the lines of a bear republic red rocket ale)
2. blonde ale (something easy drinking for the masses) 20ibu 4.4% (similar to stone and wood pacific ale)
3. american pale ale (an in between beer from the blonde to the amber) (thinking a dry version with plenty of cascade like sierra nevada pale)
4. a brown porter (something nutty, chocolaty and sweet but still easy drinking)
5. english ordinary bitter (think this for my light beer) 3ish%
6. maibock 7-8% my high alcohol but easy drinking beer (more along the lines of rogue dead guy ale)

anyway thats my dream, thoughts? what would you brew?

I'd have:
BohPils & a Kolsch maybe
Highly Hopped APA
An ESB
Something with a lower ABV like a mild or an UnderWired
then a stout or porter, and maybe do seasonals or single batches.

I was in a chain micro pub in the bottom corner of the Empire State Building a few weeks ago and took this photo of their taps.

They also had wicked food (Bison burger was great), and they offered for $13 a selection of 8, 125ml (or something in ounces) glasses of their entire range. IIRC, they have 6 styles all the time and about 5 seasonals with 2 available at a time.

All of it was supurb. I was astounded. $6 for a pint of perfect beer in what has to be the world's highest rent location.

IMG_2199.jpg

Their seasonal Dubbel was world-class. SWMBO went nuts on the pumpkin/stout stuff. Their Indiana Pale Ale tasted like chroming a bag of hops - I have never tasted anything as hoppy.

I'd strongly recommend a "business trip" to the 'States for research purposes. :D

what about some cider,stout,nice ipa.a very drinkable blonde..plus some good pub food to go with it

Along with a hoppy pale ale and a klsch (cos you gotta have something that Stella-drinking twats can be converted by) I would definitely have a big, unusual signature beer - look at Arrogant *******, Rogue Dead Guy, Dogfish Head XX-Minute IPA, they're all the beers people know the brand for and they're all 6.5%+ and loaded with flavour

Nick, Heartland Brewery at the bottom of the Empire State Building was where I had a calming pint or three after proposing to the wife (upstairs) - cheesy, I know but it worked... :wub:

Not a bad drop or spot - it's a little bit formulaic, there are half a dozen restaurant locations arounf Manhattan and the beers aren't brewed on site but it's a tightly-run, well-oiled ship. We went to another one of their restarants another night for the burgers and ribs and were pretty pleased, then again, you have to be in a pretty dodgy restaurant to get poor service in the US with tipping as important to a staff's wages as it is

My only concern was that the beers I had nor their labels didn't jump out at me and say "I'm really unique and you'll remember me!" but I guess I'm a bit picky....

New York City, for it's population, is really lacking in breweries. Loads of great craft-beer bars, like Spitzer's and the Ginger Man but I guess rent and size of venue really preclude the development of craft breweries... Brooklyn Brewery is pretty cool but it's on its own. There seem to be more craft-breweries for populations in little mid-west shithole cities like Cleveland than in NYC and I think it's due to boredom and desperation. Too many nice beer bars in NYC and waaaay too much to do on the weekend means there are bugger-all homebrewers compared with smaller cities loaded up with Bud-bars and nothing to do.

yeah on the food side i was thinking woodfired pizzas, cant go wrong with beer and pizza surely :icon_drool2: and yeah a seasonal tap/single batch tap would be a great idea

<troll>
So why this obsession with the ultimately futile and bankrupting idea of turning the mass of local beer drinkers into conoisseurs of doppelhefepoodlerauchen Alt Flugnpoofers or mega hopped APAs? The vast majority of the planet drink cold international lager styles and are quite happy to do so, and it's not always because they have been brainwashed - Something like a Henninger Pils or a Kingfisher or a Pilsner Urquell is a perfectly valid and good beer in its own right. Australian beers used to be as well until about 15 years ago when the breweries lost the plot.

Personally I think Hefeweizens taste like vomit and rauchbiers make me want to vomit myself - and Belgian beers usually taste like trough lollies (the pink ones) .Since Dans came on the scene, my favourite commercials would have to be some of the Baltika brands and they are now the biggest mega in Europe.

If I were running a micro I'd be putting out a couple of good honest nicely hopped Pilseners the way they should be - not like TED or Naked etc - and a good honest Aussie beer with a good hit of POR or Galaxy made on an Australian yeast using Australian malts. And maybe an English Special bitter for homesick poms. And yes the Stella from Leuven itself is a perfectly acceptable drop although the Yatala variety is cat piss.

</troll>

<troll>
So why this obsession with the ultimately futile and bankrupting idea of turning the mass of local beer drinkers into conoisseurs of doppelhefepoodlerauchen Alt Flugnpoofers or mega hopped APAs? The vast majority of the planet drink cold international lager styles and are quite happy to do so, and it's not always because they have been brainwashed - Something like a Henninger Pils or a Kingfisher or a Pilsner Urquell is a perfectly valid and good beer in its own right. Australian beers used to be as well until about 15 years ago when the breweries lost the plot.

Personally I think Hefeweizens taste like vomit and rauchbiers make me want to vomit myself - and Belgian beers usually taste like trough lollies (the pink ones) .Since Dans came on the scene, my favourite commercials would have to be some of the Baltika brands and they are now the biggest mega in Europe.

If I were running a micro I'd be putting out a couple of good honest nicely hopped Pilseners the way they should be - not like TED or Naked etc - and a good honest Aussie beer with a good hit of POR or Galaxy made on an Australian yeast using Australian malts. And maybe an English Special bitter for homesick poms. And yes the Stella from Leuven itself is a perfectly acceptable drop although the Yatala variety is cat piss.

</troll>

doppelhefepoodlerauchen Alt Flugnpoofers - HA!

Nice troll Bribie! Unfortunately I kinda agree with you on many points - Pilsner Urquell is an awesome beer! and if I could brew a version that comes even a little bit close I would be pretty happy. Stella from Leuven is pretty good - although why drink that if Pilsner Urquell is around? A few well-made mass-markets styles would be fine in a brew-pub too. I just love big beers though - I would happy smash through Arrogant ******* in a sitting if it were available in Oz and I could afford it...

Pretty much agree there Bribie. Although i would like to see a combo of beers being nice pilsners, english ales, american ales and stouts as well as the usual aussie beers on tap to please all the customers.

Ross has got the right idea with what he has on tap at the moment and what is also planned to go on tap. variety is the key.

Cheers

I guess i just love the yankee style beers which is why i would focus on that, all of my favourite beers are either american or american style, but yeah i do agree bribie that it would be a good idea to do a well made pilsner as that is what people want. But the american red ale and pale i wouldnt budge on because they are my favourite styles.

I'd probably try and rotate like I do with my own brewing - try out new styles and repeat old favourites. The more constant ones would be dictated by what sold.

Rather than pick styles, I'd prefer to pick regions. France, Germany, Eastern Europe, Belgium, UK, USA and something uniquely Au.

If I had money to burn I'd design a nice seasonal menu and match the beers to it with a few sessionable staples for the bar crowd.

Big Job.

At the International Hotel here the Irish Red is the one that flows over the bars in great quantity. The IH is fairly unique as it's in a low socio rental area full of students and taxi drivers and old guys who shuffle down to the corner store to get their papers and can't be bothered to change out of their pyjamas, dressing gowns and slippers and don't GAF :p
So it's not totally geared to suits. So a good red obviously hits the spot with the common folks who want something that looks and tastes nice.

I was in a chain micro pub in the bottom corner of the Empire State Building a few weeks ago and took this photo of their taps.

They also had wicked food (Bison burger was great), and they offered for $13 a selection of 8, 125ml (or something in ounces) glasses of their entire range. IIRC, they have 6 styles all the time and about 5 seasonals with 2 available at a time.

All of it was supurb. I was astounded. $6 for a pint of perfect beer in what has to be the world's highest rent location.

IMG_2199.jpg

Their seasonal Dubbel was world-class. SWMBO went nuts on the pumpkin/stout stuff. Their Indiana Pale Ale tasted like chroming a bag of hops - I have never tasted anything as hoppy.

I'd strongly recommend a "business trip" to the 'States for research purposes. :D

I was in that very pub on the 4th of Jan for some birthday beers. The dubbel was indeed amazing, the oatmeal stout was pretty great too.

Might have to jot that down, as we may be headed there at the end of the year, without the kids. Im excited!!. Actually, im excited to not have the kids for a week or 2 hahahahah

Oh, and to stay on topic, i'd have a mild definately. I think a mid strength with flavour would be viable. Though i have no real idea haha. Probably a UK style blonde ale, to get the "blonde" drinkers to drink an ale ( we won't tell em ! ), and yeah i think you'd have to do a lager of some sort. Polenta,POR,S189!!!!!

Might have to jot that down, as we may be headed there at the end of the year, without the kids. Im excited!!. Actually, im excited to not have the kids for a week or 2 hahahahah

Oh, and to stay on topic, i'd have a mild definately. I think a mid strength with flavour would be viable. Though i have no real idea haha. Probably a UK style blonde ale, to get the "blonde" drinkers to drink an ale ( we won't tell em ! ), and yeah i think you'd have to do a lager of some sort. Polenta,POR,S189!!!!!

If you are there for a Saturday definitely try and get to the Brooklyn Brewery - the do tours at just before lunch and then the whole brewery opens up into a big arvo session with pizza and beer etc. Brooklyn has cool markets in their park on Saturday mornings too - well worth the trip over the bridge...

I'd go and open up a cidery near an orchard. Inspired by Raven Ridge, and having a passion for Cider I'd move to colder climes to be near my ingredients.

Opening swanky, upmarket bars in Sydney and Melbourne initially, I'll build the franchise business on the experience of overpriced ciders and cocktails. The drinks menu would focus on ciders and also a small selection of craft beer. Selling my ciders to my franchisees, I'd be the playboy prince, supervising his fiefdom, flinging from party to party - everyone's good pal.

John Ibrahim would be a great pal of mine, and money would be laundered through the company books, and spent like pennies on beautiful women and fast cars.

My ascent to the fabulously wealthy and good looking circuit (held back by my looks) of trendy folk, would be meteoric. I'd survive an attempt on my life by a disgruntled former Financial Controller, and spend the rest of my days looking over my shoulder.

After the attempt on my life, I would become a recluse - retreating to my Cideries in Orange and Stanthorpe, bringing the focus of my life back to making excellent cider.

I'd then join a beer forum under the name InCider.

I'd go and open up a cidery near an orchard. Inspired by Raven Ridge, and having a passion for Cider I'd move to colder climes to be near my ingredients.

Opening swanky, upmarket bars in Sydney and Melbourne initially, I'll build the franchise business on the experience of overpriced ciders and cocktails. The drinks menu would focus on ciders and also a small selection of craft beer. Selling my ciders to my franchisees, I'd be the playboy prince, supervising his fiefdom, flinging from party to party - everyone's good pal.

John Ibrahim would be a great pal of mine, and money would be laundered through the company books, and spent like pennies on beautiful women and fast cars.

My ascent to the fabulously wealthy and good looking circuit (held back by my looks) of trendy folk, would be meteoric. I'd survive an attempt on my life by a disgruntled former Financial Controller, and spend the rest of my days looking over my shoulder.

After the attempt on my life, I would become a recluse - retreating to my Cideries in Orange and Stanthorpe, bringing the focus of my life back to making excellent cider.

Can see it on channel nine - Underbelly, The Cider Mile

This is f*cken hilarious!!! hahahahahaha

IPA, Bock, APA, Kolsch, American Amber, Irish Red, ESB, Munich Dunkel, scotch strong ale.

After a trip to Japan where I visited all these teeny tiny real ale and whisky bars, I can't help thinking that a minute establishment serving handpumped ales would be excellent. According to Aussie tax laws, you save on the excise tax if you serve from vessels 100L or greater. I'd want to bottle condition my higher gravity beers like saisons and soured beers, which may becoming a passion of mine.

Yes I think I'd really want to nail a recipe for a great mild or some sort of really low alcohol beer packed with flavour.

Back