If U Had 2 Pik A Constant Ferment Temp, Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozy the clown

Reaction score
Before the shots start flying my way i know it depends on the beer you want to do...

I'm looking at buying a fridge that you would find in a shop, you know, the ones with the glass door...

Anyway went to the factory today and they said they could set the temp but its not easily changed (for me at home)

I reckoned about 15c for an all round temp, what say you?

Fridge is great, should fit four fermenters in there no worries, its even got a temp guage built in. :party:

I did a search for a similar topic but even though there were 000's on thermostats did see one that applied here.

Financial controller will approve purchase "as long as I dont buy any more beer from the bottlo" (and if Financial controller gets that bloody ring she wants for christmas...) :blink:

thats it

sk650.jpg

hmm... decisions, decisions...

Have you thought of leaving it at its lowest temperature and putting a temp controlled onto it? That's what I would do

Why not get a fridge with one of those thermostats mentioned in those threads, Boozy? Why intentionally limit yourself to one temp?

Peas and Korn has a very good point
That way if ya ever feel like doing lagers, ya can, and I think that 15C is just a touch too cold for ales, IMO. Anyway, whats the damage on a unit like that, Boozy? I always look at the one in the local vegie shop and think how nice it would look in my brewshed!
All the best
Trent

Use as is with a controller such as an AdloHeat. Change your mind! - change the temp! Decide you dont want the fridge any more, take out the probe and sell the fridge, unmodified = market price. Decide to use another fridge - move the AdloHeat. Just makes sense! Oh and to answer the question 20deg for 90% of my brews.

Boozy I have just put the Adlo heat THF o - 40 degree thermostat on to my bar fridge and it is working great. I can decide on what temp I want the fridge to run - currently fermenting a beer at 20 degrees but do plan to do some lagers with it also probably around the 12 degree or so mark. Fridge is stock standard with no modifications except a little bit of duct tape.

Buy the fridge , buy the Adlo Heat (buy the bloody ring) and all will be well!

or ditch the chick and spend the ring money on beer from the bottlo as well ! ;)

i have a specific fridge for lagers but do all my ale brewing in an ac room which is a constant 20 degrees.works out well as this is reasonably mid range for most liquid yeasts.

cheers
big d

yeah, what they said!

Set the temp low and get a controller (for temp, coz U already got a financial controller).

The ring is optional, but it sounds like she's worth it.

Seth :p

Hmm, Ross says he has heard these fridges arent the best, i was hoping it would be really good. I guess get the factory to set it to 9c and i can regulate it up with one of those plug in jobbies.

It cost $1000 tho, not sure if i would be better finding a chest freezer... the one im looking at would save my back though.

I like the glass door, can see what is going on without having to open it up

Hey Boozy

If you are going to end up using a external thermostat get the fridge set to 0 C, this way you will have to greatest flexibility with temp selection never know you might want to use it for CCing.

It would be really cool to get some little blue or red internal leds to light up the inside :super:

$1000 seems pretty exe. I would think you could get something much cheaper for the same job....
And I agree with all the other posters - get thefridge temp set low, and then use an external controller to set it at whatever temp you like.

dreamboat

Yeah its not real cheap, its a reconditioned unit, stripped, repainted and a reco motor out in.

It is a lot of money... my chest freezer, albeit being second hand and a little beaten up cost me $300, and it can hold 3 vessels. Plus, it has heaps of flexibility when it comes to temperature (which seems to be the general preference here). Also, being a chest freezer, loss of cold air when opening the door is minimal, since most of loss happens for uprights because the cold air literally falls out the doorway... Anyway, enough of my commercial for chest freezers...

To continue what has been said already, leave where it is already set, if it has a temp dial put that all the way down to as cold as it goes, and use a temp controller. Then you can make any type of beer you want without any worries

I sold my 2 door glass fridge for like $480 or something, was a giant thing.
Since then I swapped to 2x chest freezers I got for $240 each and it works great, have one running on 13 degrees and the other running on 18 degrees.

Only thing I had a problem with was condensation but I fixed that by adding a 12volt fan inside the freezer and it now stays dry as a bone. The only hard part is lifting 60L fermenters in to them. (most of the time I use the forklift)

Hey Muga did your two door glass fridge work ok besides chewing up power?

I'll have to find the right probe and thermo for this fridge, i'll get the factory to install the probe, i reckon theyd have to know where the sweet spots are!

I'm still keen on this fridge, like the idea of being able to rack without too much lifting ( i am lazy). I have looked in the trading post and didnt see any chest freezers, harvey norman and ling bee only sell the small ones, i want room for maximus pisssus! :beerbang:

Ebay has a few chest freezers... But then again, if it is only for fermenting and lagering, you may be better off with a standard fridge with a digital thermostat. They can be made to look good, and your not paying a commercial price. A grand is a bit too steep IMHO.

But if you have your heat set on it, get the thing. Set it to the minimum set point and add one of the thermostats. Works for me.

Boozy,

The deal with changing temp is usually pushing a button to dial in the temp. My 2 door beast(Thanks again Timmy) has a screw under the top flap to adjust temp, just no thermometer to tell me the temp....fish tank therm inside does the trick.

Thats a 750ml in there too

fridge_1.JPG

So your fridge works for you linz? do you ferment in that baby or just chill for drinking?

Latest posts

Back