If U Had 2 Pik A Constant Ferment Temp, Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with chest freezers is that the cooling coil is built into the chasis walls and can't be accessed for servicing, the coils are prone to corrosion leading to gas leaks. Depending on the degree of corrosion the gas my only last a week or possibly months.

I purchased one from ebay that the seller said was working, the motor ran ok but when i got it home it didn't chill. The technical advise I got informed me to try get an upright freezer. The seller was happy to refund my money and take the freezer back.

If your heart is set on getting one just make sure it chills and ask when was the last time it was gassed.

I ended up getting a 400lt fridge/freezer in excellent condition for free that fits 2 x 30lt fermenters. I have and external probe thermostat thats working a treat. B)

yes i recon an upright freezer would be the ducks guts but one thing you would need to watch out for is that in some of these babies the shelves have built in coils as well .our new one at home has this arrangement and i would be no good for a ferm fridge . :(

delboy

Boozy, I've had 2 glass door fridges now and think they were/are the ducks guts. Mine were both in outside rooms but still run at 2 degrees even when the temperature is over 40 degrees.

That unit looks like a Skope? Assume you're getting it from Quirks as that was the price they quoted me on a reco unit. Your other option is to look for one on ebay. You'll normally get it for less than this but they're rare. There's also a few other suppliers you could speak to. Quirks were easily the dearest for the fridges when new.

And to answer your question; 20 degrees but I agree with the others about a temperature regulator.

tony

Boozy the clown said:
Hey Muga did your two door glass fridge work ok besides chewing up power?
[post="98748"][/post]​
Yeah it worked fine, kept a constant temp anywhere between 2 - 24 degrees just using the digital control on it. It used a stack of power and it was just to big for what we needed.

Still, it would have been good to keep for fermenting because of the good temp control system in it, as well as it could have fit around 10 fermenters with the ability to change shelf heights.

EDIT: Using a 120mm 12v fan in the chest freezer, it was just something I found in the garage that has not been used in years, you can buy them from Jaycar or DSE for a couple of dollars & hook it up to a 12v transformer, tested out the freezer without the fan and in a couple of hours condensation had started to appear, left it over night and the walls had started to ice. I now have the fan running in there and all is going well, dry as a bone.

The skope fridge arrived yesterday...

The Adlo looks pretty popular on this site,

Q. is there much money to be saved through a bulk buy?

Q. Would another thermo suit this fridge better?

Q. Who's shout is it?

one other thing....

has anyone tried the 'Dual Heat and Fan Model TFCWP 20o-50oC 7.5 Amp water resistant enc.' model?

just wondering if the heat unit (light bulb im guessing) would be affected by condensation, dont want to be zapped!

duh, yes as i read this post back i saw the temp range, not low enough!

maybe this model is better 'Dual Heat and Fan Model TFC 0-40oC 7.5 Amp'

Got the fridge, got the Adlo. Seems to be working pretty good at the mo'.

Of course the first two i put in cant be cc'd until the third (grumpies windjammer) has finished doing its thing. Once its all coordinated four fermenters pumping at once!.

Thanks for the advice.

100_0466.JPG

Boozy the clown said:
So your fridge works for you linz? do you ferment in that baby or just chill for drinking?
[post="98773"][/post]​

Just used the BEAST for chillin'...I was gunna start fermenting in it, but since the thread of fermenting in Jerry cans acame along..space doesnt seem to be much of an issue so, starting to think along muga's line and flog it on ebay and get a newer smaller fridge and build a thermo for it...

That unit of yours should be easy enough to adjust for the differing demands of it??

Not one of C'towns finest are you???noticed the ribbons in the background!

Not one of C'towns finest are you???noticed the ribbons in the background!

Err, no. Thats a different sort of ribbon. But i'm sure it has been seen at some of their matches!

Back