Ideas For Basic/beginner Ag Recipies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did one today mate even made it with 1275

50/50 ale/pils and a bit of wheat and caramalt

Bittered with POR and a bit of EKG at the end

Had a shocker though, i dont know where i went wrong.

I mashed in and thought "thats a bit watery"

It ran off and sparged 45 liters in 5 min as well

I think i may have left 2 kg of the JW pils malt out as my daughters were helping me at the time. They wernt helping me with the grain i was measuring out but trying their best to empty the rest of the bags i have out on the garage floor ;)

Also the crush was very course, the grain was fairly whole but crumbled into little bits when gently pressed so i thought it would be ok.

Well all this equated to 52% efficiency :(

I usually get between 75 and 83%

my worst effort before today was 68% with a wheat that got stuck 6 times.

So i swallowed my pride and tipped a kilo of dextrose in to the boil. i figured in a 45 liter batch it wont make any difference and none of the partials i ever made when i was starting out got tipped out :chug:

The dex brought me up to 1.042 and about 24 IBU.

And it tastes great in the firmenter so should be a good drop.

I brewed this APA Yesterday & christened the AG gear.

Everything went ok with no major dramas. When I added the mash water, I panicked with the high temp I took straight away & added some cool water :blink:. I should have waited for the temp to stabilise :lol:

I overshot the gravity by 1 point (1053) but ended up sparging a tad more until the refractometer read 3 Brix. This dropped the SG to 1049. mmm more beer :chug:

Boiling took 10 mins longer due to me forgetting to put the chiller in to sanitise it. It's is surprising how well these drop the temp!

Promash records the Actual Mash efficiency as 87%.....would this be right? I'm stoked if this is what it is.

Atm I have had to fit a blow-off tube to curb the yeasts energy, although I did fit 26L into a 30L fermenter :lol:

sounds like a good effort.

Get a bigger firmenter though :p

Stu, i have a keg, send 50 liters down imediatly :)

cheers

Hi,
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question regarding the boiled wort, I have made two partials thus far a pilsner and Kolsch. In both after boiling the wort and coiling I poured into the fermenter and pitched the yeast, am I supposed to rack the wort off the trub and hops in the stock pot or just leave it all in? I left it all in and the trub is about 1-2 inchs deep in the fermenter. I'm not so worried but just wanted to check.
Thanks for the advise.
my recipe for the Kolsch is detail, any suggestions?

Recipe, from memory
1.5 Kgs morgans Unhopped Extra pale Malt 3EBC
500g LDME
1.5Kgs Lager Malt
1.0 Vienna Malt
250g Wheat malt
250g Carapils
100g Light crystal
Hops 50g Perle Bittering 6%AA (60min boil)
20g Hallertau 5min boil 4%AA
10g Hallertau 1min boil
1 tea spoon Irish moss
Wyeast 1338 Ale
made upto 23l

mashed all grains for 90mins, sparged and boiled wort for 60mins, added LDME for 30mins and EP malt for 15mins, Irish moss for 10mins.

OG 1.050 Close to expected of 1.052 (Beer Smith)
Anticipate Alc. 4.7% Colour around 9 (EBC (slightly darker than Kolsch) IBU around 30-35 from memory. Ferm temp 18-20c

Back