Ideas For Basic/beginner Ag Recipies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ha, thankyou Gents, you have cleared that one up nicely for me :beer:

cheers

Browndog

i might have a go at that one tomorrow stu. you have been raving about it enough.... it must be good.

I was going to brew a bitter or a dry stout but that sounds like it would be a great swiller for the keg.

cheers

tangent said:
i agree, i'm not much into porters and stouts. .
[post="107905"][/post]​

Porters are not Stouts
Too many people refer to them as I don't like Porters and Stouts
In my case I don't go to much on Stouts but really do like a good Porters

And I believe a Porter is a wonderful brew for your first AG
After this you will want to expand to all the other great brews,your Porter will be the best beer you had ever brewed ! :beerbang:

Cheers
Batz

Didn't say you did tangent ?

Batz

Batz said:
tangent said:
i agree, i'm not much into porters and stouts. .
[post="107905"][/post]​

Porters are not Stouts
Too many people refer to them as I don't like Porters and Stouts
In my case I don't go to much on Stouts but really do like a good Porters

And I believe a Porter is a wonderful brew for your first AG
After this you will want to expand to all the other great brews,your Porter will be the best beer you had ever brewed ! :beerbang:

Cheers
Batz
[post="107936"][/post]​

Would like to see your input here Batz, can you suggest a good Porter recipe for this Topic.

Batz,

I'm sure your porter is great... but I still think that when starting out you should try and brew what you like the best.

When I started out, I was a keen Carlton Draught drinker! I tried a porter and hated it! I couldn't drink it at all.

So I brewed beers like a Carlton Draught, and I was happy. Very easy beers to make.

However, as my taste for beer developed, I found a love for a porter. Now I can't drink a Carlton Draught anymore...

I think the point I'm trying to make is that a taste for a particular beer needs to develop, no point in making a beer your need to acquire a taste for. Start with a style you know.

But hey, the brew known the best may well be a porter... If so brew that! Just start with a flavour you can relate to

Here are my ingredients I picked up today.

2.5 kg JW Pilsener malt
2.5 kg JW Pale ale malt

20g POR 90 min
20g Cascade 20 min twds end
5g Czech Saaz 10 min twds end
10g Czech Saaz 5 min twds end

52.1 IBU SG 1.051 (Promash)

2.1L water /kg grain Single step mash (23L)

Safale 04 English Ale yeast

I also ended up grabbing 500g Caramunich, but will keep it for another brew day.

Just finished my immersion chiller as well in time for this brew. Does this look ok as I am open to changes :super:

edit: added stuff

Sounds great, you will appreciate the late Saaz and I think the 04 is a good choice of dried yeast for this style. It attenuates well (stick to 19deg if possible).

SWAMBO amazed me tonight, she was sampling a Carlton Pure Blonde (neighbour gave us a 6pk) and said " this must be POR, I much prefer the beer you make using Saaz", "Pick me up off the floor" I had no idea what hops is used in Pure Blonde, as I had never tasted it before, it did have a POR aroma but not very bitter, supposedly double hopped.

Jazzafish said:
Batz,

I'm sure your porter is great... but I still think that when starting out you should try and brew what you like the best.

When I started out, I was a keen Carlton Draught drinker! I tried a porter and hated it! I couldn't drink it at all.

So I brewed beers like a Carlton Draught, and I was happy. Very easy beers to make.

However, as my taste for beer developed, I found a love for a porter. Now I can't drink a Carlton Draught anymore...

I think the point I'm trying to make is that a taste for a particular beer needs to develop, no point in making a beer your need to acquire a taste for. Start with a style you know.

But hey, the brew known the best may well be a porter... If so brew that! Just start with a flavour you can relate to
[post="107945"][/post]​

OK
I agree it all a matter of taste

Apologies

Bet you'll like my Porter though :lol: :lol:

Note the :lol:

Cheers Batz :lol:

and add some smoked malt to the porter and you will be grinning

Hey Batz, which wins? your acute condition or acute thirst.

>>>2.5 kg JW Pilsener malt
2.5 kg JW Pale ale malt

20g POR 90 min

52.1 IBU SG 1.051 (Promash)<<<

You must have something incorrectly set in Promash, 52.1 IBU from b'all hops aint right. At a guess you could get between 25-30 IBU.

Anyone back me up here?

tdh

Screwtop said:
Hey Batz, which wins? your acute condition or acute thirst.
[post="108015"][/post]​

About neck and neck at this stage Screwtop

Batz

Hello tdh, thanks I had the POR boil for 60 mins instead of 90 but this change just increases the IBU's to out of this style :blink:

Am I right with Promash that the 20 min hop addition is 20 mins before the end of the boil?

I used the default AA for Cascade, Saaz are 2.8% AAU and POR are 14.1.

I'm open to suggestions here though :D

tdh said:
>>>20g POR 90 min

52.1 IBU SG 1.051 (Promash)<<<

You must have something incorrectly set in Promash, 52.1 IBU from b'all hops aint right. At a guess you could get between 25-30 IBU.

Anyone back me up here?

I'm pretty new to brewing but 90 minutes is fairly long for bittering hops isn't it? Maybe that's where the higher IBU is coming from.

60 minutes is the usual boil time I've seen in all the recipes I've read.

i boil for 75 min

15 min with no hops then i add my bittering hops for 60 min.

This method seems to give a cleaner bitterness than a full 90 min boil.

cheers

Tony said:
i boil for 75 min

15 min with no hops then i add my bittering hops for 60 min.

This method seems to give a cleaner bitterness than a full 90 min boil.

cheers
[post="108039"][/post]​

I boil hard for 90 mins & add bittering hops at 80 mins - Can't say i've seen any improvement from just using 60 mins, but keen to hear other peoples opinion on this - maybe needs a new thread starting...

sorry for hijack...

Tony

I opened one of my pales that has been in the bottle for only a week, but 2 weeks in the ferm.still flat but drinkable. Was done with Grumpy's generic dried yeast. safale somethink...

Would make a really nice keg beer, If only I had a keg. :(

I just like it cause it is simple and tastes good.Even the missus likes it.

Going to do one with w1275 Thames Valley yeast.

Back