Ice beer and priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toncils

Reaction score
Hellos all,

I had a quick search for something relating, but didn't find anything so specific.

I recently made an Ice beer; smokey 10% that I guestimated to be 18 - 20% after freeze-distilling. It's currently sitting in a small barrel aging, and will be bottled in a couple of weeks.

It's safe to assume the yeast didn't survive the freezing and/or high percentage of alcohol, so how do I prime it in the bottle?
Yeast probably wouldn't survive too long at 20%, even with tasty dextrose!

What think you?

Andre

Ec1118 will prime it

Do you know someone who kegs? I am sure there would be someone out there who would be happy to force carb, then bottle for you if you happen to leave a bottle or 3 behind..

Yeah, I was thinking of carbing it it my 10l (full of sour wheat...wouldn't mind tipping it), but I wouldn't trust myself not to introduce oxygen. Why I like priming so much; it kills oxygen with one stone.

It's a 2 litre batch...heh

What is EC1118?

just dosed a 11% barley wine to make sure it gets some carbonation with it.

There is an article in a BYO magazine, not sure if it was a 2011 one I was reading the other day (Viking horns on a glass on the cover) or the newest one (hops on the cover)..

But it goes into a little detail on eisbocks and mentions a few things about priming being difficult and that kegging is the ideal way to go, a good read!

Let us know how you go with the champagne yeast if you try it, as I'd like to do an eisbock, and bottle some!

That's the problem with ice beers- who the hell wants a whole keg of it?!

I've been thinking about the whole eisbeer thing. What worries me (although I haven't tried my first batch yet) is how much oxygen gets into the beer as you run it through a colander.
I was hoping to buy a cheap slushy machine, drill a gas hole in the top, and somehow modify the outlet to leave any ice inside. That way you'd never take it off c02, and wouldn't have to screw around with freeze, strain, freeze, strain etc. Turns out they cost upwards of $2000.

Thoughts?

Siphon it out of the slushy machine?

Wouldn't a siphon get clogged with ice?

Back